Author Topic: September 2022 Story Contest: "Tales of Escape"  (Read 1145 times)

Offline Army of One

• Professor
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 119
September 2022 Story Contest: "Tales of Escape"
« on: August 31, 2022, 09:23:30 PM »
The contest has now closed. Vote for your favourite here.

General Contest Rules:
  • All stories submitted between 12:00am September 1, 2022 UTC and 11:59pm September 30, 2022 UTC that fit the topic criteria will be accepted.
  • Stories can be submitted to any of the story writing boards (this excludes the Roleplay boards); non-English stories will need an English translation linked to them, which must also be in the relevant story section, in order to be accepted.
  • Stories must be started in the month stated, and listed here for submission before month's end.
  • General site rules apply to contest entries. If any changes to site rules occur during the contest, violating entries will have until close of entry—or end of any amnesty period, whichever is sooner—to adjust their entry accordingly, or risk disqualification. If changes occur during the voting cycle, votes for violating entries will be ignored.

[ruffles around desk] Goddammit, where is that schedule?

[gives up] You know what, forget it. I at least remember some of the topics we're going to look at, so I can draw up a new schedule easily enough. This is getting to be a habit.

So, starting this month, I'm going to be implementing some of your ideas. And one of them—I think, I didn't reread the suggestion thread before writing this—was "Tales of Escape". Now I think the idea is fairly self-explanatory, but because not everyone will probably agree, I'll lay it out for all:

Your story will look at the victim escaping, and the aftermath also. Now, this is something that a lot of us have included in our writings, myself included. But this will be the bulk of the story. Which also means we need to know a couple of things in your story also:
  • What are they escaping from? (For example, long-term sexual enslavement, rape of opportunity)
  • How did they escape? (Did they have help, or did they escape alone? Was it planned, or was the captor just careless?)

The style of story you wish to write is up to you. You could do a news article, a journal-style narrative, or a traditional written tale.

There will be one additional rule implemented for this contest, though: I will be doubling down on content warnings this month. Now, forum rules state that warnings are necessary because of the sexual content. However, because of the nature of these stories, you will need to extend these warnings to non-sexual content as well if it is present in your story. Your story will be disqualified if you fail to disclose any sensitive material of any kind in your warning at the start of voting.

Good luck, folks, and good writing.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 05:41:21 PM by Army of One »
Extinguishing the Flame is available on Amazon and supports Australian Bush fire relief.

Offline Army of One

• Professor
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 119
Re: September 2022 Story Contest: "Tales of Escape"
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2022, 09:24:26 PM »
Does the narrative have to start with the escape or can it begin with capture?

Start the story where you wish. You could start at the escape, and flash back to the capture every so often, or start from the beginning of the entire ordeal and end at their escape. All up to you.

Do failed escapes count?

Only if the escapee is given a decent amount of distance before recapture. Think along the lines of Rabbit-Proof Fence: they had a bit of distance before one of them was recaptured. That's the kind of failed escape I'd be accepting. If they don't cross the property border (metaphorically speaking), they've only been prevented from escaping.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 07:57:28 PM by Army of One »
Extinguishing the Flame is available on Amazon and supports Australian Bush fire relief.

Offline 90lbsofdynamite

• Masters Degree
  • Merits 353
    • Official website for Millie Dynamite
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2022, 04:49:20 PM »
Does the narrative have to start with the escape or can it begin with capture?
Just 90 lbs of Dynamite Big Bada Boom!!

Offline SoftGameHunter

• Professor
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 524
  • That's me in the pic. I'm the tall one.
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2022, 12:48:07 AM »
Do failed escapes count? Like in The Dirty Great Escape?
The rumors about me are scurrilous, depraved rantings of a sick mind, and I categorically deny any sense of falsehood attributed to them.

Offline RapeU
  • Senior
  • Merits 19
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2022, 10:25:47 PM »
The Eye of the Storm

I love this prompt. It's an easy one not too complicated. Please let me know if I need any more story codes in there. For reasons that will become obvious at the end, I used caution in place of other codes. Hopefully that's sufficient.

Offline VictoriaTimmons

• Junior
  • Merits -46
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2022, 10:53:34 PM »