Author Topic: Goodbye James Bond  (Read 640 times)

Offline darklord

• Masters Degree
  • Merits 710
Goodbye James Bond
« on: October 09, 2021, 11:49:44 AM »
After all these years of escaping death, the venerable super agent finally comes to an end in No Time To Die.   With Daniel Craig's exit, a female 007 seems ready to come on board.  Will she be received as eagerly?   For many of us growing up in the 50's, the one main appeal to the Bond character was his womanizing ways.  Yes, he was misogynist, but that was part of the appeal.

It will be interesting to see where the franchise goes. I am not at all opposed to a female Bond, but it will not be the same, still, I am willing to give it a shot. s

Tony V.
Re: Goodbye James Bond
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 07:23:38 AM »
As long as Gal Godot plays the new Bond, I'll have no problems with that......

Tony V.                  :police:

Offline darklord

• Masters Degree
  • Merits 710
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 07:58:54 AM »
Ohhh. I’d love to see that Tony

Tony V.
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 10:20:00 AM »
Look up the You Tube video "We Tried to Fight Gal Godot." 3 minutes of "The Rock,"  and Ryan Reynolds getting their asses kicked by Gal Godot. Then look at the trailer for "Red Notice"

I'll give you a hint: Gal Godot does NOT play a Good Girl.....

Tony V.                      :police:

Offline darklord

• Masters Degree
  • Merits 710
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2021, 04:02:35 PM »
Oh, I will :)

Offline darklord

• Masters Degree
  • Merits 710
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2021, 04:09:46 PM »
Look up the You Tube video "We Tried to Fight Gal Godot." 3 minutes of "The Rock,"  and Ryan Reynolds getting their asses kicked by Gal Godot. Then look at the trailer for "Red Notice"

I'll give you a hint: Gal Godot does NOT play a Good Girl.....

Tony V.                      :police:

OMG! that was the best. I gotta watch that movie now.

Tony V.
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2021, 05:05:47 AM »
Having been a Bond fan since the beginning, I was not looking forward to Daniel Craig' final performance as James Bond.

Call Me a traditionalist, a stick in the mud, a dinosaur, I think the Bond Franchise should be allowed to die off. Changing Bond to adapt to new Social norms removes one of the character's major features. Bond was a Ladies Man. Perhaps he was a total Mysoginist, but that was how Ian Fleming wrote him, and I believe this is how he should remain.....

And as an added point to argue, Sean Connery was THE epitome of James Bond.....

Tony V.                        :police:

Offline darklord

• Masters Degree
  • Merits 710
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2021, 10:04:45 AM »
I agree with you. Tony.  Does not make a lot of sense to kill off the main character then continue with the it. Many could play 007. That’s just a number, but Bond is now dead.

Sean Connery personified the original idea perfectly.  Roger Moore played it tongue in check, giving Bond humor.  Daniel Craig showed Bond with emotions.  Each brought their own style.  Brosnan and Lazenby didn’t stick around long enough.   It was a good 25 year run but trying to resurrect bond in another form would be a costly mistake.

Offline Brek

• Graduate
  • Merits 40
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2021, 10:57:24 AM »
I think that, if they're not going to have fun with camp (which I wonder why they don't want to given the MCU's success), they may as well distinguish themselves with a new direction. My read of the new movie based off reviews (haven't seen it yet) is that they split the difference by not giving the successor enough to do.

Offline darklord

• Masters Degree
  • Merits 710
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2021, 05:48:00 PM »
That is a good assessment, Brek. I saw the movie at the theater, and as you say, the successor, as of now, is a black female, who had very little to do in the film except help Bond in one tight spot.