Author Topic: Constantly rewriting  (Read 34 times)

Offline Sander

• Sophomore
  • Merits 6
Constantly rewriting
« on: May 29, 2021, 04:25:55 PM »
Ugh...

It is one of those days again. Another 12K words removed from  a story. It simply wasn't good enough, too long and didn't really move things on.

The Document with cut parts has now past 25K words. LOL

I've decided when I've spent so much time on something there is a chance there is something good in there, even if I don't feel it right now.
Maybe the idea was good, but I couldn't tell it well enough.  So I save it for later, to maybe have a look at again.

However that obviously sets me back a long bit and need me to start over again. How do you others manage that? Or do you simply revise things until you are happy with them?

In my case I started writing a side story. But quickly got bored of it.

So as I mentioned the offending chapters are now moved out. And it is a fresh start.

In reality I just needed to vent a bit ;)

Offline carhamgrater

• Masters Degree
  • Merits 940
  • Read when you can! Posts aren't going anywhere
Re: Constantly rewriting
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2021, 04:47:07 PM »
Been there!

What I find is to publish what you feel works and see what idea the readers can pass along. Sometimes they can suggest things you never considered. Like you I have left stories unfinished for long periods of time until inspiration revisits me. Wish there was a magic wand that we could shake to set our mind right again, but no such thing exists!

Do what you feel is right for you and know that any true fan would wait for what you are writing for they know that creative writing doesn't flow like a tap for writers!
Real rape is wrong fictional rape can be fun!

Offline Grumpy

• Undergrad
  • Merits 76
  • Enslavement of beauty is nature in action
Re: Constantly rewriting
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2021, 06:51:42 PM »
I just post everything, even the parts that suck. Mostly the parts that suck, actually. I will do it a little bit differently for stories that aren't smut, but at the end of the day, it's better to just get something finished and out there than polishing and rewriting over and over. At least in my experience.

Most of my stories just stop without an ending because they've meandered so far away from the actual story that I basically can't finish them even if I wanted to. It's not my greatest work, and honestly, I don't see it ever becoming that. I think that's fine. This is "just" horny writing, and while it holds value, it'll always be for lusting eyes, not for literary critics.

You do you, but if you're rewriting for the sake of completeness/internal consistency or because "it's not good enough", I would reconsider.