Author Topic: Spam Bot  (Read 127 times)

Offline Brek

• Graduate
  • Merits 40
Spam Bot
« on: April 25, 2021, 08:34:35 PM »
Can we get an admin to delete the spam bot account and ban the IP?

Online SoftGameHunter

• Professor
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 269
  • That's me in the pic. I'm the tall one.
Re: Spam Bot
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2021, 11:57:02 PM »
We can and we do. I take some righteous pleasure in zapping spambots. But there are only a few of us so some of their junk might linger a while. There's no way around it on a small site like this.
The rumors about me are scurrilous, depraved rantings of a sick mind, and I categorically deny any sense of falsehood attributed to them.

Offline Eljorn

• Dean
  • Senior
  • Merits 40
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 09:58:10 AM »
Any spam bots that made it in might be related to the 2000+ accounts that I approved the other day.

If so, my apologies, but I'm not going to go through 2000 requests one by one.  ;)

As SGH said, we'll take care of them as they're brought to our attention.

Thanks for you patience.
--
Eljorn

Offline Grumpy

• Undergrad
  • Merits 79
  • Enslavement of beauty is nature in action
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 11:11:54 AM »
We can and we do. I take some righteous pleasure in zapping spambots. But there are only a few of us so some of their junk might linger a while. There's no way around it on a small site like this.
You can appoint more admins? I'm sure there are addons that allow moderators to "soft ban" people until a site administrator can take a look.

Offline Nero

• Graduate
  • Merits 51
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2021, 01:38:41 PM »
I'm not an Admin, but I have noticed that in the last six months there have been many many thousands of new members. 99.9% of them have never posted (unless the post count isn't working properly).

I know there was an issue in the last month, but what about all the months before that?

If someone registers and doesn't post in the first three months their accounts should be deleted/deactivated.

The members list shows about 12000 members. It looks like most of those signed up in the last six months.

I've been here for about 14 years, and I work in IT. If you're looking for more Admins then let me know.
Innocence passed me by

Offline Grumpy

• Undergrad
  • Merits 79
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2021, 05:44:56 AM »
There have now been spam posts and other reported posts up for about a month without any action. You're going to lose people if you're not more active in their removal and prevention. You probably already have.

Online SoftGameHunter

• Professor
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 269
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2021, 10:30:31 AM »
There have now been spam posts and other reported posts up for about a month without any action. You're going to lose people if you're not more active in their removal and prevention. You probably already have.
Okay, I routinely ban 1-2 accounts per day and remove probably 3-5 spam threads as well, all without prompting. If this counts as no action, then please don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you.
The rumors about me are scurrilous, depraved rantings of a sick mind, and I categorically deny any sense of falsehood attributed to them.

Offline Grumpy

• Undergrad
  • Merits 79
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2021, 03:12:51 PM »
I'm letting you know of a problem, if you wish to take that as an insult that's on you. I don't know what you mean by "all without prompting" - I've reported dozens of posts of spamming and rule breaks, and they're still up. That's an issue. I will have to leave if it continues to be a problem because I am literally (unintentionally) breaking the law by going into some posts as it stands.

Online SoftGameHunter

• Professor
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 269
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2021, 11:02:55 AM »
It looks like I need to issue a mea culpa. When the board format changed a while back I started missing reported posts because they came up on a different section now. I can't speak for the other mods, but I missed a shit-ton of them until today. However, I've spent the last half hour becoming Conan the Destroyer of spam and rules violations and will do so again in short order.

Offline Grumpy

• Undergrad
  • Merits 79
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2021, 11:23:41 AM »
Thank you!

Online SoftGameHunter

• Professor
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 269
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2021, 07:50:13 PM »
This isn't a rule or a proclamation, but rather just a personal request from the mod that happens to be doing most of the spam cleaning:

When I come on here I basically go direct to the unread posts. I spot those spambot posts pretty easily and delete them and their poster on-sight. So you all don't have to report them right away. It just adds to the report log and is one more step in the process. Trust me, if I see the bots, I shoot on sight.

Now if a day or two goes by and we've missed something, feel free to report. And of course, report abusive or illegal shit right away. But you can save work for everyone if you let the spam simmer for a while.

As I said, this isn't a rule, just a friendly request.