Author Topic: Stories in multiple postings.  (Read 551 times)

Offline Romulus

• Freshman
  • Merits 14
Stories in multiple postings.
« on: March 07, 2021, 12:50:06 AM »
So does anyone prefer stories in multiple postings over time as I see many stories? Why do you post in various increments? Is it just that you haven't finished the story and post what you have and then write more later?
I have preferred to wait until I have the whole story before posting it. I have a few long stories that I am working on. It's taking awhile. I have thought about posting it in increments as I finish up what could be considered a chapter, but I probably won't. Partly because it could then end up being a long time between posts.

Offline SoftGameHunter

• Professor
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 518
  • That's me in the pic. I'm the tall one.
Re: Stories in multiple postings.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 03:44:30 AM »
That is basically the reason I usually post in increments. I post what I have when I have it. Sometimes it gets to be a long time, or even goes unfinished, but those are the risks. It's not like I'm being paid for any of this.

Sometimes, though, I'll break that rule, usually if the story actually has a convoluted plot that matters. Then I want to be able to go back and change things and that's a lot more annoying if I've already posted it. I mean, who's going to go back and read it again? In those cases I either wait until it's all done (and I've had one stubborn one I started in 2016 still in progress) or post a few chapters behind where I am, basically settling the early chapters but allowing modification of the last couple. I've done that once or twice to pretty good effect.
The rumors about me are scurrilous, depraved rantings of a sick mind, and I categorically deny any sense of falsehood attributed to them.

Offline spunkjunk

• Graduate
  • Merits 543
  • Delicate! Now take it off!
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2021, 05:40:09 AM »
Long stories weren´t read as much as the short shots here.
I watched this a Long time because I´m a friend of novels with Heros, bad guys and storyline.
So I don´t read the most of this shorties as I won´t look only the first three minutes of a Thriller till the victum was shot...
But it´s a matter of taste.

With chapter posting you got the possibility to react to your readers witch also is an advantage of forum-posting because everybody like feedback.
You got more of this as if you post a whole novel you worked a Long time hard at in one peace and get a "nice, looking for the next" at the end.

Next Problem is where to put a longer Story in which serveral Events like gangbang, humiliation, one on one, BDSM etc happen? Maybe you start in Humiliation sector some People don´t look at won´t find.
Once God created the male. Examining each angle he thought: I can do better! And he did...

Offline LtBroccoli

• Undergrad
  • Merits 487
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2021, 05:30:37 PM »
I usually break up my stories into chapters or scenes.  Sometimes it's what I've written thus far, other times the story went over the size limit for a post.

As far as how much to break them up, I try to keep the same general story in the same thread, but break it up by chapters.  But if that story reaches a logical stopping point, I'll break it off and do another thread.  For example, my series "The Club of Chester County" was broken up into several threads so far, with more on the way.  I had one thread focusing on the rapists getting together for an attack, another focusing on a different attack, another thread focusing on a police detective tracking them down, and another upcoming dealing with other events.

For where they get posted, unless it's a one-off or similar thread, I'll post the larger stories in Mixed Groupings.
Always close the program you were running before exiting the holodeck

Offline DiscipleN

• Junior
  • Merits 31
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2021, 02:31:22 PM »
I tend to write long stories. I wait until I've written the whole story before I begin posting. I don't want to lose steam and not finish a story. However, I post a story in segments, as I edit them.

This give readers a chance to read in bite sizes. Which I hope is more appreciated than  dumping a massive read on them.

two cents,
DN

Bruiser7
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 12:49:06 AM »
I've always written my stories by chapters. I usually have a very precise idea of the starting context and background, but I may not know right away how exactly the story is going to end.

At one point, I have decided to work only on one story at a time. The other stories I have started will simply make a surprise return later on, once I'm finished with the current one.

The story I am currently writing is a VERY long and complex one. This is the first story of the kind I am doing, and it's a learning and humbling experience. I am writing it in chapters, some of them longer than others. I know how the story is going to finish and where it is going, but sometimes things develop organically. I've even created an unplanned character that is now becoming one of the main characters! I could never have come up with this had I wrote the full story first.

Offline RapeU
  • Senior
  • Merits 19
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2021, 10:31:20 PM »
I write stories without knowing how they will end. That's part of the reason why I'm in so much trouble with my stories lol. I originally got inspired by a roleplay I was doing with someone and wrote a story about this guy who called himself The Hunter. A few chapters in and I had no idea how it was going to end. An idea randomly popped into my head of an ending that would be perfect, but would require me to make another story. A survivor of the rapist who turns around and rapes men. Then I connected that story with one I had roughly written before on another forum that people had liked and made it into a massive plot that still needs to be fixed and edited. Then I made another story called The Masked Marauder where I had the idea of someone going on a road trip and rapes women along the way. No idea how the story would end until I came up with the idea of linking it with the third story. And of course, with that link I had to write two more stories after The Masked Marauder. Then there's another 3 still in my head after that one with the idea of time travel. But that one's probably going to be too complex to write even though I've planted a few seeds within the stories here and there.

But anyway, as I write I post what I have in small spurts. If it's a full chapter story with complex plots each chapter is a post and I write a chapter at a time. If it's a short story I'll post it into spurts. One time I only did a post with 4 lines of dialogue because that's all I had at the time and it worked for that particular story. The anticipation and slow buildup leading up to the rape combined with people wanting more makes stories like that fun.

To fully answer the question, it depends on the story, the writer, and the audience. For my Red Rose Rapist story, I originally had it split into 4 short stories. This was the only one I knew from the beginning how it would end because it was a story request from someone. I just had to write the beginning and middle. I posted it in spurts and stopped each time there was a break in the story as I was writing it. When I posted it on here, I combined the 4 short stories into one with 4 chapters (and an epilogue that connects with The Hunter because I just love to make things complicated lol.) The modified version still works I think.

Offline 90lbsofdynamite

• Masters Degree
  • Merits 353
    • Official website for Millie Dynamite
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2021, 03:58:49 PM »
When ghostwriting I write from outlines given me by the authors. I follow what they have laid out like a religious ritual. I do, often, send suggestions and wait for at thumbs up or down before I continue.

When I write for me, I make a hasty outline, start writing. After I have a few pages, I go back and work on the outline a bit more, fleshing out what's to come. I read the outline several times, return to writing and see where it goes. If stick to the outline, great, if not that's fine too. I often go back through them four or fives times, tightening up this or that, expanding here or there. Then one time through as an editor and I post it. Still, going though them and making corrections here or there, well, forever at times when it is my work..
Just 90 lbs of Dynamite Big Bada Boom!!