Author Topic: Universal Language  (Read 812 times)

SheerHose33
Universal Language
« on: February 02, 2021, 08:48:21 AM »
Being from the UK, words I use can differ to what the English words can be across the pond.
To try and combat confusion I’ll will try and write universally to suit all English readers
As I’m aware that most on here are from North America will it make more sense to  write in US English?

Such as for example. “ She was wearing sheer pantyhose under her skirt that morning. She was on her way to the principal’s office”

Or as in UK English.
“She was wearing sheer tights under her skirt that morning.
She was on her way to the headmaster’s office”

Any thoughts on this or advice will help.

Jess xx

Offline Traveller

• Junior
  • Merits 143
  • Hardware in need of software
Re: Universal Language
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 09:25:55 AM »
Jess, may I suggest that this "problem" is turned into a possibility. A story about how an American bastard (there are a few to choose from) uses dirty language to dominate and degrade a proper British girl (there are not many to choose from, but let's be optimistic) and she constantly corrects him and makes him aware that he is using the wrong words, that she doesn't understand, and whatnot. I will assume that this increases his fury and brutality, maybe that is what she wants, maybe not. It will anyway be a good school for us writers to read, and more tingly fun than having a discussion about it? Maybe an idea for a role play?   

carhamgrater
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 11:33:15 AM »
I have always stated that the language should reflect the nationality of the story. I don't want to read a story set in England using "American slang". Keep the language that best reflects the story not the person reading! There is so many translation matrixes out there that any word can be defined in American. What's the worst thing that will happen. you'll learn new words and phrases! Just my view!

Offline spunkjunk

• Graduate
  • Merits 519
  • Delicate! Now take it off!
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 03:06:34 PM »
For me its very interesting what she´s wearing "under" anyway :emot_thedrool.gif:

And also for me english unfortionately is a foreign language.
I won´t notice the differences.
And so its a matter of education! I think but also for american, australian or the british (uh if that was all allright)
I see it in the german sector. After Goethe and Schiller are dead most of the Readers are unable to understand proper german.
LoL DeepL finds the Translation for "fürbass" but almost no German will understand you if you use fürbass in your text...

So it may cause the next mistake if you wrote in american english with a british mentality.
For example wearing Jeans for dinner. (In Germany no Problem.)
So I´m every time impressed when the Girls in english/american Storys wearing Dresses.
Thats why I plan to emigrate to Canada because german Girls don´t wear dresses :'(

It only may be useful find the regional wording in spoken language sentences if its important for the Story like Traveller mentioned.
A bavarian probably won´t speak Hamburg.
For my language in stories I won´t integrate dialekts.

So I won´t skip a good Story because of  grammar. (As mentioned: I won´t notice :emot_laughing.gif:)
In the matter of Cup size it would be more likely.
Greetings
Spunkjunk

« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 03:01:54 PM by spunkjunk »
Once God created the male. Examining each angle he thought: I can do better! And he did...

SheerHose33
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2021, 08:10:49 AM »
For me its very interesting what she´s wearing "under" anyway :emot_thedrool.gif:

And also for me english unfortionately is a foreign language.
I won´t notice the differences.
And so its a matter of education! I think but also for american, australian or the british (uh if that was all allright)
I see it in the german sector. After Goethe and Schiller are dead most of the Readers are unable to understand proper german.
LoL DeepL finds the Translation for "fürbass" but almost no German will understand you if you use fürbass in your text...

So it may cause the next mistake if you wrote in american english with a british mentality.
For example wearing Jeans for dinner. (In Germany no Problem.)
So I´m every time impressed when the Girls in english/american Storys wearing Dresses.
Thats why I plan to emigrate to Canada because german Girls don´t wear dresses :'(

It only may be useful find the regional wording in spoken language sentences if its important for the Story like Traveller mentioned.
A bavarian probably won´t speak Hamburg.
For my language in stories I won´t integrate dialekts.

So I won´t skip a good Story because of  grammar. (As mentioned: I won´t notice :emot_laughing.gif:)
In the matter of Cup size it would be more likely.
Greetings
Spunkjunk

Thank you all. I think I’ll write more in my style then. I just didn’t want to create confusion with other readers

I found that in Germany too, they don’t really dress up as much, maybe in Berlin and Munich the style was quite glamorous but not in Paderborn lol

Traveler that’s a good idea....excellent idea actually. An American rapist takes an English girl either on his vacation or her holidays lol
I’ll be thinking of it.

Thank you for the feedback all.

darklord
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2021, 05:29:21 PM »
This is the constant dilemma we all face with an international audience.  Simple things like ass.   British use bum, etc.   On the flip side, I always enjoy hearing the dialect from over there, so please don't change on our account.

Offline Sam69

• Graduate
  • Merits 44
  • I’m into all this stuff!
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2021, 06:56:34 PM »
Being from the UK, words I use can differ to what the English words can be across the pond.
To try and combat confusion I’ll will try and write universally to suit all English readers
As I’m aware that most on here are from North America will it make more sense to  write in US English?

Such as for example. “ She was wearing sheer pantyhose under her skirt that morning. She was on her way to the principal’s office”

Or as in UK English.
“She was wearing sheer tights under her skirt that morning.
She was on her way to the headmaster’s office”

Any thoughts on this or advice will help.

Jess xx

Just speaking for myself, I love the way you write. There is something so sexy about the King's English. I can almost hear your voice in the written words. I can translate easily and it doesn't take anything away from the story. If it were up to me, you wouldn't change a thing beautiful lady.

Offline 90lbsofdynamite

• Masters Degree
  • Merits 353
    • Official website for Millie Dynamite
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2021, 01:13:13 PM »
I'd write what you know, being English, over the road is probably far more comfortable than across the street. Yet, we can call get it, at least I think we should be able to. then again, my adoptive mom is an Auzzie from down under, where women glow and men plunder.
Just 90 lbs of Dynamite Big Bada Boom!!

Offline LtBroccoli

• Undergrad
  • Merits 483
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2021, 07:12:37 PM »
I like it when the story is written for the nationality/culture it occurs in.  British English is different from Indian English which is different from American English which is different from Aussie English, but they're all flavors of English.  The differences help to fit the story.  I'm an American, so it wouldn't make much sense for me to write a story set in Sydney using American words, unless I needed that to be part of the story.  Writing a story about Emma wearing sheer tights under her skirt that barely covered her bum as she made her way to the Headmaster's Office sounds just as, if not more sexy than a story about Emma wearing her sheer nude pantyhose under her skirt that barely covered her ass as she made her way to the Principal's Office.  Also, these changes can make for quite a good scene, as a Yank and Brit argue over a Lorry and a Truck.

At the very least, I've learned some interesting words reading authors from around the globe.
Always close the program you were running before exiting the holodeck

Offline vile8r

• Masters Degree
  • Merits 1066
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2021, 12:10:15 AM »
Being Canadian, and I think Carhamgrater will also agree,  we are a little more exposed and familiar with British terms and expressions than perhaps Americans. We have some very unique ways of talking ourselves. But there are still a pile of British slang I'm NOT familiar with and I love seeing it in your stories Jess!  A writer should write in the style most comfortable to them, and so please don't veer away from that. Continue to write in your British style.
I could rape your pussy, but I'd be in and out in a few minutes. So I choose to rape your mind, and I'll be inside you forever!

Offline Grumpy

• Undergrad
  • Merits 80
  • Enslavement of beauty is nature in action
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2021, 10:32:02 AM »
As someone who isn't British, American, Australian, or Canadian, and isn't a native English speaker, I can tell you that I barely notice such things. I know that flat and apartment, and trunk and boot have the same meanings, and which one is used where, but when reading it in a story, it barely registers. Then again, I don't see the problem even if I did. Would just give the world more character if I could tell where it plays out with that kind of "show, don't tell". If anything, it's desirable!

Offline Sam69

• Graduate
  • Merits 44
  • I’m into all this stuff!
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2021, 03:23:55 PM »
I think the jury is in Jessica, lol. The student body and faculty have spoken here at Ravish U and the verdict is, you are perfect just the way you are, don't change a thing. Except maybe, we'd love to see more of you.

SheerHose33
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2021, 01:37:50 AM »
Thank you for all the replies, and I will take that on board.
I’ll carry on to write the way I speak and if their is any confusion then I’m only a comment or a PM away from explaining it.

Cheers xxx

carhamgrater
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2021, 10:26:07 AM »
I’ll carry on to write the way I speak and if their is any confusion then I’m only a comment or a PM away from explaining it.

Cheers xxx

What would it be too hard to add a footnote explaining said word or phrase :emot_rotf.gif:

Offline Army of One

• Professor
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 119
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2021, 03:21:20 PM »

Cheers xxx

What would it be too hard to add a footnote explaining said word or phrase :emot_rotf.gif:
Footnotes are a pretty good idea. I've used them a few times in stories on here and KB, and they are good at providing info without disrupting the flow of the story. I'd probably go so far as to recommend it for all stories that use terms that could be foreign to their audience.
Extinguishing the Flame is available on Amazon and supports Australian Bush fire relief.