Author Topic: Universal Language  (Read 166 times)

Offline 90lbsofdynamite

• Masters Degree
  • Merits 297
    • Official website for Millie Dynamite
Re: Universal Language
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2021, 04:50:34 PM »
I totally agree with the footnote idea. I had planned, and have it perhaps ¾ finished, Star Trek story, not using the main characters other than LT Chekov. It was set between Star Trek the Motion Picture (which on our calendar occurred approximately in 2273) and The Wrath of Khan (roughly set in 2285).

There are so many acronyms, phrases, and contraptions totally familiar to those who have watched many Trek that one doesn’t feel the need to explain. You know, fans know about them. You can’t explain a transporter, warp-field, or any number of things without breaking the story’s flow.

While writing it (right now down to find out our calendar date and the corresponding Star-Date and researching the educated guesses of what happened when in that more than ten years), I realized it wouldn’t be easy for non-Star Trek fans to follow.

I think it’s a good story, but I never pursued writing the ending of the thing. It wasn’t a sex story (though there is a sex scene or two) if I recall correctly. I didn’t lose interest in the story but worried I didn’t give it the best treatment. When I get a break from paid writing, I might try to write on the thing again.
Just 90 lbs of Dynamite Big Bada Boom!!

Offline LtBroccoli

• Senior
  • Merits 65
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2021, 06:39:01 PM »
I totally agree with the footnote idea. I had planned, and have it perhaps ¾ finished, Star Trek story, not using the main characters other than LT Chekov. It was set between Star Trek the Motion Picture (which on our calendar occurred approximately in 2273) and The Wrath of Khan (roughly set in 2285).

There are so many acronyms, phrases, and contraptions totally familiar to those who have watched many Trek that one doesn’t feel the need to explain. You know, fans know about them. You can’t explain a transporter, warp-field, or any number of things without breaking the story’s flow.

While writing it (right now down to find out our calendar date and the corresponding Star-Date and researching the educated guesses of what happened when in that more than ten years), I realized it wouldn’t be easy for non-Star Trek fans to follow.

I think it’s a good story, but I never pursued writing the ending of the thing. It wasn’t a sex story (though there is a sex scene or two) if I recall correctly. I didn’t lose interest in the story but worried I didn’t give it the best treatment. When I get a break from paid writing, I might try to write on the thing again.

If you need help with the Star Trek stuff like the tech or any obscure stuff, hit me up.  My avatar is an inside joke about a side character from TNG.
Always close the program you were running before exiting the holodeck

Offline 90lbsofdynamite

• Masters Degree
  • Merits 297
    • Official website for Millie Dynamite
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2021, 06:50:23 PM »

If you need help with the Star Trek stuff like the tech or any obscure stuff, hit me up.  My avatar is an inside joke about a side character from TNG.

I know Lt Barclay, we shared a shuttle to Risa when we both had shore-leave.  :emot_kiss.gif:
Just 90 lbs of Dynamite Big Bada Boom!!

Offline LtBroccoli

• Senior
  • Merits 65
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2021, 06:52:07 PM »

I know Lt Barclay, we shared a shuttle to Risa when we both had shore-leave.  :emot_kiss.gif:

And I was still too dense to pick up the hints.   ;D
Always close the program you were running before exiting the holodeck