Author Topic: A small rant on Ghostwriting.  (Read 857 times)

Offline 90lbsofdynamite

• Masters Degree
  • Merits 353
    • Official website for Millie Dynamite
A small rant on Ghostwriting.
« on: November 17, 2020, 02:52:01 PM »
A small rant on Ghostwriting.

As many of you realize, I have been ghostwriting for some time. I am responsible for 6 erotic novels and a dozen erotic short stories. Pops warned me things with this kind of employment are complicated emotionally, not the writing, but the living with others making money off your work.

Pops wrote six or seven novels as a ghostwriter. Did dozens of treatments of books for screenplays and ghosted several feature films. Still today, more than 27 years since his last ghost work, he gets upset when he thinks of movies others conceived using his treatment or screenplay. He can’t tell anyone this is my work or my idea. I wrote this.

I’m already having the same kind of issues. Money is the only thing making the unbearable lack of recognition … bearable. I didn’t think the anonymity would bother me. The issue bugs me most, and this petty, but this bugs me most when I talk to my authors, and they give glowing reports on their latest work’s performance. I want to scream, “Stop talking like you wrote the thing.”

I don’t. Granted, Pops’s work has stood the test of time. My stories won’t; after all, they are fuck stories on the short pieces, nothing more. The longer works have enough plot to be more, but still, erotica is titillation, not Shakespear.

Don’t misunderstand me. I realize I’m not a terrific writer, and I don’t think I am. I write, by in large, junk, and the money is my compensation. But I like hearing, “Good story. Loved the last one, what a wonderful twist,” and you guys hand the kudos, which keeps me going. I guess I worry I’ll do something special, something which isn’t mere erotica, and no one will ever figure out the work was mine.
Just 90 lbs of Dynamite Big Bada Boom!!

Offline rhurac2

• Freshman
  • Merits 7
Re: A small rant on Ghostwriting.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2020, 07:24:28 PM »
I love your work here both in your writing and putting together the monthly contests!!   Yeah is sucks when someone else (boss, another author, co-worker, etc) takes all credit for work only you did.  Keep your head held high and dont ever stop trying to improve your art!   

emot_bghug.gif

-Rhurac

Offline 90lbsofdynamite

• Masters Degree
  • Merits 353
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 09:47:13 AM »
Thank yo so much. I can't get enough of that kind of praise.  :emot_kiss.gif:

Offline Petite99S

• Senior
  • Merits 45
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2020, 10:59:47 AM »
I agree with Rhurac2.  EDIT - and merit. I thought your post contributed positively to our community!

I love how you write 90lbsofdynamte! Each of RU’s authors have things I enjoy but my jaw drops sometimes when I see you spin out and fill your stage with literally several words. Not just characters and their mood but tone and backdrop. No wasted words with your craft and I feel also…. connected to your stories when you let us readers fill in little details ourselves. Almost like you trusting us with playing in your world.

Having stories stolen is heartbreaking. I feel stories are literally part of you. I may be too graphic and I’m not sure if my comparison works but ghostwriting feels almost like surrogacy to me….  You took something small from someone and literally gave life and heartbeats.

Also, I know saying so doesn’t help but erotica is art. And good craft is good craft. Not too long ago, books from George RR Martin were sooooo frowned upon but SOMEHOW now are part of mainstream society. I also remember Shakespeare was often writing to titillate - even in his last play, there are rapey themes. Others on discussion threads have talked about getting hot by Yeats' Leda etc.. Erotica isn’t ‘mere’ erotica but I know that wasn’t your point. Just don’t put your art below others.

Some topics for your stories may be beyond my comfort zone and I still do think we should have age limits but your craft is just amazing.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 11:22:59 AM by Petite99S »
Here's to Good people, good nights, Good highs, good health. Some tears, some stress. But I count my blessings. Here's to Good music, great sex. Little time to feel alive. Little time to get it right

darklord
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2020, 05:45:39 PM »
You have a great point. Any writer likes to hear when a story they wrote was like by others.  Only natural, and as we know here, only a few respond, which is their porogative, but you are wrong with you say you do not write well.  I have always been a fan of your writing, years back until now, and I apologise if I do not always say that.  We certainly appreciate your talent around  here.

Offline 90lbsofdynamite

• Masters Degree
  • Merits 353
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2020, 06:34:04 PM »
You have a great point. Any writer likes to hear when a story they wrote was like by others.  Only natural, and as we know here, only a few respond, which is their porogative, but you are wrong with you say you do not write well.  I have always been a fan of your writing, years back until now, and I apologise if I do not always say that.  We certainly appreciate your talent around  here.

I feel I'm capable but as to a great writer, no not so much. This isn't false modesty, I just know several on here are so much better than me. The you go to the writing world and I don't think I stack up well at all. Pops tells me I'm really good. You guys pump up my ego, from time to time, but I know great writing when I read it. Pops has written some great stuff, and he considers himself fair to middling, which is a term for only slightly above average. I think he could be successful if he put the effort into the writing and some money into promoting. I'm not so sure about me and my work. Yes, it sales under other peoples names, however, I think that is largely their promotional budget. I'm not sure where and how they promote the work, as Amazon doesn't let you use their advertising platform to promote Erotica. They aren't even ranking erotica anymore at Amazon.

I'm not saying I'm not without talent. I know I can seat of the pants a story, down and dirty, lickity split. But I'm at loss when I move outside of erotica. And my taste in erotica is darker than most people like. I can't buy, beg, borrow, or steal good rankings at storiesonline. Even in erotica. Therefore, I consider myself limited and it frustrates me. I think I have one great story in me. I just hope I find it or it finds me, before it's all to late.

Offline Petite99S

• Senior
  • Merits 45
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2020, 08:46:07 PM »
I'm sorry Millie, thinking more, I shouldn't have brought other things into my original reply. I do love your writing style and think there are likely more than one great story you'll find. And when you're ready, I think many of us readers here will be waiting to support you.
Here's to Good people, good nights, Good highs, good health. Some tears, some stress. But I count my blessings. Here's to Good music, great sex. Little time to feel alive. Little time to get it right

Offline 90lbsofdynamite

• Masters Degree
  • Merits 353
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2020, 09:02:44 AM »
Don't apologies, my feelings aren't hurt and I'd rather have the truth from my friends here.

But I do have to apologies, I don't offer feedback often and I should try and post more feedback to you guys.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 10:54:00 AM by 90lbsofdynamite »

Offline LtBroccoli

• Undergrad
  • Merits 483
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2020, 06:56:46 PM »
It sucks when we put so much effort and drive into writing, just to have someone else take the credit.  Not that we always want credit, but just that little piece that says "Yeah, that was my shit.  You're quoting me, mother fucker."  Many years ago I had some stuff that I wrote on a forum show up word for word on national television.  No one but the couple hundred people who saw my work knew I created it, and only a couple of them knew who I was.

Millie, you're good.  Don't beat yourself up too much.  We may not always see eye to eye, but I respect your game.

If I were asked to name a percentage of the number of writers on this forum that have Imposter Syndrome, it would be somewhere around 100%.  There might be like 1 or 2 people that don't think their writing sucks.  Every one of us could list a dozen people that we think are better writers than ourselves, and everyone on that list would put you in their Better Dozen list.  Part of it is that we only see our flaws, while everyone else sees the total package.

But I agree on the feedback.  We all need to be a little more active on it.  When CMG was out, this place felt like a ghost town in the comments section.  Even a quick "Good job, I liked XXXX" gets the serotonin pumping and fingers typing.
Always close the program you were running before exiting the holodeck

Offline 90lbsofdynamite

• Masters Degree
  • Merits 353
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2020, 08:59:05 PM »
Yeah, pops talks about a movie he saw, it was scripted by one of the people he ghost wrote for. A scene from a treatment he wrote appeared in the movie he was watching. It wasn't the film he had written the treatment for and he wanted to call the guy and bitch him out, however, he was paid for the work and other film was never made. But this move he watched had at least 3 of the scenes intended for the other work. Feeling down about it, he thought he wouldn't work for the guy anymore. Lo and behold (his words not mine) a few days later he received a check with a note, "I used a few scenes from that movie that didn't sell in one that released last week. They worked quite well. Felt obligated to pay a little more for the work. I should have sent part of this one to you to ghost for me. Hope all is well." That kept dad doing work for him another three years.

SheerHose33
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2020, 02:45:27 AM »
I can only imagine how it feels and the is no such thing as a story without an idea.
So when you see ideas used that were yours it must get you down
You’ve made me realize I don’t support enough here, you included commenters are either non existent or a click that only comment on several writers I being in one such click.
Your work is greatly admired here and you give the site that female spark it needs day in day out

Jess xx

Offline vile8r

• Masters Degree
  • Merits 1066
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2020, 09:14:40 PM »
I have always greatly enjoyed your writing Millie, but I empathize with you about the ghostwriting. I've never done it myself, but not sure if I could do it.  I have assisted other writers on other sites with stories and then they have taken all the credit, never acknowledging that they got help from someone else. That sort of made me feel robbed, certainly unappreciated. I don't do it so much anymore. People ask me and I just politely tell them no. I feel flattered when someone asks me to help them out on a story but if I'm not receiving any appreciation for it, screw them.

You are such an integral member of our story community, Millie. I have looked to you from time to time as an inspiration for my own writing. I would hope you never feel under-appreciated on here.
I could rape your pussy, but I'd be in and out in a few minutes. So I choose to rape your mind, and I'll be inside you forever!

Offline 90lbsofdynamite

• Masters Degree
  • Merits 353
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2020, 10:55:33 AM »
I'm sorry Millie, thinking more, I shouldn't have brought other things into my original reply. I do love your writing style and think there are likely more than one great story you'll find. And when you're ready, I think many of us readers here will be waiting to support you.

I intended to say my feelings aren't hurt, but fingers out ran my brain.

Offline Petite99S

• Senior
  • Merits 45
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2020, 07:34:22 PM »
Hm. I think I did have to apologize and your time spent organizing our monthly story competition adds so much to our community!

Offline Brokenwing

• Professor
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 231
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2020, 07:23:41 PM »
Millie, shame on me for not finding the right words to express how much of an inspiration you are to so many here.

Just surviving what you have survived is in itself an incredible example of  perseverance.  The fact that not only did you survive but that you have found the strength to grow so much that you are able to then put those experiences in writing and to further fictionize some of those experiences into writing where people can trad and enjoy your works.

Again I'm struggling to put this in meaningful words.

You should be so proud that not only are you able to write but to use writing to make money.  There are many amazing writers here few that I think have ever made a cent from their work. 

I can't imagine what it might be like to 'ghost write' or how hard it must be to read your words published under another's name. 

But please be proud of the so many things you have accomplished.
Just a moment to post a reply to an authors story makes it worth the hours of writing and editing the story.