Author Topic: Writing a Book  (Read 583 times)

SheerHose33
Writing a Book
« on: October 28, 2020, 03:02:50 AM »
So really thinking of having a go and writing an erotic horror as a commercial product
But I’ve no idea about getting started

Any one out there done this?

What are the do’s and don’ts and what’s the best platform, proofreading, editing resources out there

Also what’s the best place to sell erotic material?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Jess xx

darklord
Re: Writing a Book
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 05:49:25 AM »
Wow. This sounds like a fantastic venture.  Look at Literotica.com.  They have volunteer editors, or used too.  Might point you in the right direction.  Amazon even has erotica on its Kindle platform, although I don’t know how lucrative that might be.   Good luck on this.

Offline vile8r

• Masters Degree
  • Merits 1087
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 05:59:04 AM »
Hello Jessica.  I just recently took a free online writing course from a site called Reedsy.com. They also provide editing and marketing services if you're looking to publish something online. I would recommend you check them out. They may be able to help you.
I could rape your pussy, but I'd be in and out in a few minutes. So I choose to rape your mind, and I'll be inside you forever!

carhamgrater
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 05:10:49 PM »
One of the most unbiased sources i have found had been https://www.smashwords.com/  which has a section dedicated to just what you are trying to do give that a read and it should answer your questions for you! Good luck on publishing, I for one am looking forward to your effort!

Offline Petite99S

• Senior
  • Merits 45
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2020, 08:56:56 PM »
I also can’t wait to read your book and having lots of fun getting spooked from “New Summer”!  :)

Absolutely not advice but if you happen to have any favourite authors, most if not everyone (both reasonably successful or less well known) have been REALLY kind about replying to Twitter personal messages and questions. It feels like they are just happy to give back and interact with fans. Jade K. Scott also has an ebook called “six-figure erotica author” with some guidance. I thought it was neat but what I thought what she recommended was a niche path for profit and not 100% for pleasure writing.
Here's to Good people, good nights, Good highs, good health. Some tears, some stress. But I count my blessings. Here's to Good music, great sex. Little time to feel alive. Little time to get it right

Offline 90lbsofdynamite

• Masters Degree
  • Merits 353
    • Official website for Millie Dynamite
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2020, 09:46:33 AM »
Jessica,

I used to publish on Smashwords and Amazon. Amazon was great when you could advertise Erotica on it, but now that you can't, not so much. It's very hard to publish and advertise on Smashwords. Smashwords doesn't have any in house advertising. Advertising for erotica is a hard find, and there are just some things you can't sell commercially in erotica. Incest, rape (as a main plot element), and under 18 are all no no's. I always made more from the distribution network than from Smashwords itself. They put you on a ton of book sales sites. I most often receive royalties from Black Puma through Smashwords. It isn't setting the world on fire, but it has purchased dresses, shoes, and some really nice wigs of late.

Smashwords was very good to Pops for years. But when he pulled down all the stories from his different pen-names he never got them back up for sale. Of course, Pops doesn't write erotica. I have my work edited though Writers Digest services and buy the proof reading service. It is a very good edit, cost $2.00 a page (double spaced, 12 pt, Times New Roman) I don't remember the minimum but I usually several short stories at one time and sent two to three hundred dollars worth at a time. They levels above that but the proof reading is a full edit. I paid for what they called the Edit level, and the same story done on the proof read level and found very few differences.

There are publishing houses that specialize in Erotica I think one of my authors uses one of them. I'll try to go through my old notes and see if I can't find you a publishing house that does erotic horror.

All the best luck

Millie
Just 90 lbs of Dynamite Big Bada Boom!!

SheerHose33
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2020, 02:39:12 AM »
Thank you for all your responses. It means a lot and it is a project I want to at least try.
I know erotica has its boundaries in what can be written and what can’t and I think that will be an obstacle

Thanks for the tips Millie and I’ll look into Smashwords. My novel is here but abridged for RU.
Another idea I have if some would agree is to have a section here for long stories so the reader knows what they are getting into and those looking for a stroke story know it too

Offline fantasybear369

• Freshman
  • Merits 39
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2020, 04:45:35 PM »
So really thinking of having a go and writing an erotic horror as a commercial product
But I’ve no idea about getting started

Any one out there done this?

What are the do’s and don’ts and what’s the best platform, proofreading, editing resources out there

Also what’s the best place to sell erotic material?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Jess xx

Others have made some good suggestions about writing erotic stories. I'm working on honing my skills, so I'd like to offer some general writing advice and resources. I write Urban Fantasy as a rule, but I dabble in short erotic stories as well.

The National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) website is full of resources and support for developing writers. Every November, they host the NaNoWriMo event, which encourages writers to write 50,000 words in thirty days. They host other events and virtual write-ins throughout the year. You can connect with other writers and find information from editors, publishers, and others in the industry.

I have learned a TON about writing from the YouTube channel iWriterly- she is a former editor and just recently self-published her first steampunk novel. She talks about many need-to-know things that will help a new writer out, including writing good sex scenes.

Reedsy.com is a writing website that offers free email based courses on everything from plotting to dialogue. They have a news letter as well. The site does try to sell you their writing/publishing products, but the free education is worth wading through a few sales pitches.

I watch tons of videos of authors giving lessons or just talking about writing. Neil Gaiman and Stephen King are great about sharing their experiences and their advice about honing your skills as a writer.

I don't know if this was exactly what you were after, but I spent the last year learning and it's been well worth it.
Finally looking for my dark side...

Offline 90lbsofdynamite

• Masters Degree
  • Merits 353
    • Official website for Millie Dynamite
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2020, 02:06:46 PM »
The following are ones I checked out when I first decided to publish for money. I felt these were reliable, honest companies at the time. If my judgment then and now would be the same, I'm not sure. But at least when I checked them out I felt they wouldn't cheat me.

Blushing Books

bold strokes books

Cleis Press

The Wild Rose Press

There was another called World Castle Publishing, however, it appears that they may have dropped most of the more adult books. All of these are soft erotica publishers, little to no violence, romantic stories, which is fine. My favorite type of writing can't find publishers, in fact most of my work wouldn't be allowed on Amazon. Good luck!

Just 90 lbs of Dynamite Big Bada Boom!!