Author Topic: Star Wars/Trek ruined  (Read 653 times)

Offline Kylie

• Senior
  • Merits 93
  • Stay safe!
Star Wars/Trek ruined
« on: December 22, 2019, 11:04:41 AM »
I just saw the new Star Wars movie.  And I feel the same with the new Star Trek.  They both are in worse form now with the same director

Shocker
Re: Star Wars/Trek ruined
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 12:08:32 PM »
I honestly can’t imagine how Star Wars could be in a worse situation than after the last Jedi. I haven’t seen the rise of Skywalker yet, but plan to do so next week.

Offline rhurac2

• Freshman
  • Merits 7
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 02:00:07 PM »
Feel the same.  I nor any my friends around 40's yrs have any plans or desire to see Last Star Wars Movie. 

As Mark Hammil famously said "He is not my Luke Skywalker"

-Rhurac

Offline Kylie

• Senior
  • Merits 93
  • Stay safe!
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2019, 09:37:19 AM »
I think the Last Jedi was the best of the new three.  At least it tried to be different.

The more I think of the last movie, the more I don't like it.  The first and third wasted four hours trying to make references to old Star Wars.

Offline vile8r

• Masters Degree
  • Merits 534
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2019, 10:02:08 PM »
I'm trying to keep a fairly open mind with all this, but been reading some scathing reviews and it's getting me rather disillusioned. I WILL go and see the movie and formulate my own opinions, but I'm not feeling optimistic. TLJ didn't exactly impress me and it didn't totally disappoint me. But I was rather underwhelmed. I'm fearing this one may be the same.
I could rape your pussy, but I'd be in and out in a few minutes. So I choose to rape your mind, and I'll be inside you forever!

Offline Kylie

• Senior
  • Merits 93
  • Stay safe!
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2019, 06:16:03 AM »
You should go see it.  At least the soundtrack is good :). But sometimes it feels like there were too many movie writers, so the plot is bad.  The writers here understand how important plot is.

darklord
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2019, 09:18:41 PM »
I saw it tonight. Maybe its my age ,but it was just missing something.  It seemed hodge podge, like throwing everything at the movie they could think of.   On the plus side, the battle scenes were good.  I guess I will just say it was not the best one, but it was not the worse one either.

Offline Spade71
  • Junior
  • Merits 31
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2020, 04:06:34 PM »
I wish that I had waited until it came out on netflix!  I don't want to support this garbage any more.  It was so stupid.  It had some good parts, but most of it was pretty stupid.  I was asking myself: If this wasn't part of the STAR WARS universe would I go to see these movies.  NO, no I would not!

Offline Kylie

• Senior
  • Merits 93
  • Stay safe!
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2020, 04:11:16 PM »
I saw it tonight. Maybe its my age ,but it was just missing something.  It seemed hodge podge, like throwing everything at the movie they could think of.   On the plus side, the battle scenes were good.  I guess I will just say it was not the best one, but it was not the worse one either.

It was missing a good plot  :emot_rotf.gif:

Shocker
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2020, 08:46:27 PM »
I just saw the rise of Skywalker and must say I was pleasantly surprised, but the dumpster fire that was the last Jedi might have lowered my expectations.

There were a lot of plot inconsistencies, but abrams did his utmost to stamp out most my problems with the last movie. Not a great movie, but an entertaining one.

Offline Tony V.

• Masters Degree
  • Merits 807
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2020, 09:34:11 AM »
For the first time in a very long time, I went into a "Star Wars" movie with NO expectations. I will admit up front, I am NO fan of "Darth Mickey" calling the shots over a Beloved franchise.

That being said, I was disappointed in the EXTREME by "The Rise of Skywalker."

So let me get this straight......

ALERT: SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!

Emperor Palpatine gets thrown into an exploding critical mass NUCLEAR REACTOR, and several years later a bunch of DEAD Sith Lords decide to knit HIM back together, rather than reincarnating themselves??!!??

THEN, these Dead Sith Lords decide to lure the ONE being in ALL the Galaxies who could destroy the ENTIRE Order to the ONE place they ALL felt safe??!!??

Add to THAT, the presnce of the ONE person in said Galaxy whom could not only read the above mentioned person's thoughts, BUT intersrese himself IN those thoughts??!!??

And the Mouse House REALLY expects Me to BUY this line of Galactic Malarkey????!!!!???????

Yes, I saw the movie.....

Until George Lucas decides to grab Darth Mickey by his ears and thorw him OUT of HIS Universe.

Disney doesn't get a DIME of My money again!!!!

Tony V.                   :police:
"Just turn around, put your hands behind you, and do what the Officer tells you"

darklord
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2020, 09:58:02 AM »
Well said Tony.

Offline Kylie

• Senior
  • Merits 93
  • Stay safe!
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2020, 10:37:50 AM »
This is exactly like Game of thrones.  The finale was so bad I do not wish to rewatch any of it anymore.

Offline vile8r

• Masters Degree
  • Merits 534
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2020, 09:53:31 AM »
Well, I went to see Rise of Skywalker last night. I'm still trying to get my head around it. It wasn't horrible......but certainly wasn't great! Plot holes big enough to fly a Star Destroyer through, like one of the hundreds that Emperor Palpatine seemingly pulled out of his ass! SO many things in this movie that were just thrown in and NOT explained! Still don't know why Palpatine was even there.

Then again saying there was plot holes would insinuate there WAS a plot to have holes in, and there wasn't much of that either.

It seemed completely disengaged from the previous two movies as well, which kind of defeats the purpose of a TRILOGY!

Rey doesn't even complete her Jedi training, and yet somehow she becomes this Jedi god who can pull starships out of the sky and heal people????WTF?

As a straight action movie, it was not too bad. I liked the battle sequences, and a few of the references to previous SW movies was sort of cool to see, for those of us who grew up with SW. It was kinda neat at the very end when Rey went to Tatooine to Uncle Owen's farm, but overall, the movie was kind of a hot mess. Trying to be all things to all fans, and ending up being nothing.

Like Tony V. said, yes George Lucas SHOULD grab Darth Mickey by the ears and toss him out of his universe.I can just see him at the premiere standing up in the theater and screaming out, "WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU PEOPLE DO TO THIS?"

I don't feel that I wasted money on seeing this movie, but in a way, I'm glad this whole saga has come to an end now, because I am very uncertain that I will ever go to another SW movie after this.
I could rape your pussy, but I'd be in and out in a few minutes. So I choose to rape your mind, and I'll be inside you forever!

Offline Grumpy

• Undergrad
  • Merits 78
  • Enslavement of beauty is nature in action
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2020, 06:30:26 AM »
Honestly, I think people have hyped the original trilogy to such a degree that there is no way to live up to it no matter what anyone does. And besides me thinking that the originals hype is very undeserved, it was a very different time back then when they were made. SW became such a staple for everything new they brought to cinema, not necessarily because of the storyline or great characters. I.e. the original star wars trilogy were experimental films, and no one knew if they'd even capture an audience. They were extended tech demos first, cinema second. Today, SW is made to make money from an already known universe. They don't want to make anything new in terms of tech - actually, they want to do the opposite and stay as safe as possible to not end up in the uncanny valley, and they also want to appease as many people as possible. This means not straying from generic scenarios and easy-to-understand plots.

At least the 00-prequels tried to do something different. These new movies are simply trying to play cards into already dealt games, showing people what they have already imagined and making it look "cool" instead of surprising their audience. Just look at the reveal of Hamill, for example. That's when everyone started clapping and screaming their heads off, even though they all knew perfectly well it was coming from a mile away. The only thing the movie did was play into expectations. I thoroughly dislike that.

Add to that this new thing of trying to make female heroes be so strong that they are simply never defeated... This narrative of strong female leads is nothing I have a problem with, but there's a fucking difference between making the hero a female, and making the lead all-powerful. Have you ever seen a Bruce Willis or Arnold Schwarzenegger action movie where they don't lose up until the last 10% of it? That's because it's really not interesting to watch someone simply win, win, win, win, often by making them powerful out of nowhere and for no reason other than to keep winning. Rey is a boring character. Really fucking boring. The interesting characters are those that have difficult obstacles to overcome, and they are shown to be difficult by making the character fail at it, not by saying "oh, this is hard," and then overcoming it anyway.

I haven't seen the last sw movie yet, but I doubt it'll be better than the others. I'll get to it eventually, but there are much better movies out there that require my monetary support to survive.

/rant