Author Topic: Music for Everyone™  (Read 565 times)

Offline Grumpy

• Undergrad
  • Merits 80
  • Enslavement of beauty is nature in action
Music for Everyone™
« on: September 02, 2019, 08:38:02 PM »
As opposed to the topic where I list all the shows I've seen live, this one will chronicle music that doesn't require that same sort of acquired taste. Still great music, though!

I'll start off with two songs that have been looping through my playlist lately.

Surferosa: I have no idea where I found these guys. The album this is from is pretty good electro-pop-punk-sort of thing. This song is the most catchy one on there, I think. But also Satin Con Blonde and Unit (Supply of 11 Roses) are really good!

Meg & Dia: I guess they're sort of semi-big in the US? I haven't heard anything other than this song from them, but it's pretty damn good.

It has also been remixed a dozen times by people making dubstep and trap and all sorts of electronic music. It never really seems to get better than the original, though. This one comes close:

Offline Grumpy

• Undergrad
  • Merits 80
Re: Music for Everyone™
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 07:15:29 AM »
Wardruna: Created by one of my all time favorite musicians, it's a band that makes... well, Viking music. It's poetic, it's raw, and it's fucking beautiful.

Ladytron: Don't know much about these guys, but I've heard a few songs that made my playlist. It's sort of different from the rest of the songs here so far. Electronic and poppy.

SheerHose33
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 07:45:19 AM »
Thanks for posting all new stuff to me but I liked it

Offline Grumpy

• Undergrad
  • Merits 80
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 11:07:52 AM »
Cool that you like them :)

I honestly forgot I started this thread hehe, so I'll add some more to it now that I've rediscovered it...

Offline Grumpy

• Undergrad
  • Merits 80
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 12:35:30 PM »
The Ark: Or what I usually call them: Pop Anthem Aficionados. Because that's the kind of music they've made, and they're pretty good at it, too.

Eivør: She's Faroese and I can't understand a word she sings, but it's beautiful. It's ethereal and light, and mesmerizing.

Bonus, this is her performing Trøllabundin live, in the mountains, for like 50 people: It's... special.

Offline Grumpy

• Undergrad
  • Merits 80
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2020, 10:51:16 PM »
Buckethead: He wears a bucket on his head and plays guitar. It's chill and a bit psychedelic.

Borknagar: Actually, these guys do black metal, sort of, but they're very fusion-y and their albums are like a rollercoaster of different styles. I don't usually listen to them much, but this song is really catchy.

Offline vile8r

• Masters Degree
  • Merits 1084
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 08:50:03 AM »
That Buckethead guy reminds me of an artist up here in Canada who was around back in the '90s. I can't remember his name, and he never had any commercial success, but he used to do the club tour a lot. He played mostly blues rock, but his thing was that he wore this weird sort of a space helmet with a dark visor and the helmet was fitted with this special mike that electronically modulated his voice. It sounded like Darth Vader doing B.B. King. It was quite a unique sound. He was around for a year or two then I never heard about him anymore.
I could rape your pussy, but I'd be in and out in a few minutes. So I choose to rape your mind, and I'll be inside you forever!

Offline Grumpy

• Undergrad
  • Merits 80
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2020, 11:50:19 AM »
That sounds very unique, yes :P

Would love to have heard it. Discovering new music is like a religion to me lol

Scooter: I mean who doesn't love a little Scooter? And if the music wasn't enough, their videos often feature bare-chested models ;)

Caesars: I know them as Caesars Palace, but apparently they had to change it for the US market.

Offline vile8r

• Masters Degree
  • Merits 1084
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2020, 09:47:10 PM »
I preferred The Caesars. I know I've heard that song before somewhere, but never knew who it was. The Scooters video however was pretty good!
I could rape your pussy, but I'd be in and out in a few minutes. So I choose to rape your mind, and I'll be inside you forever!

Offline Grumpy

• Undergrad
  • Merits 80
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2020, 09:27:39 AM »
Yeah, The Caesars song has been in countless commercials and quite a few movies, tv shows, and video games so I'm not surprised you've heard it.

Ghost: Bringing devil worship to the masses.

Man Man: You haven't heard anything like this before.

Bonus Man Man: A live show, same song. It's crazy:

Offline Grumpy

• Undergrad
  • Merits 80
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2020, 04:47:47 PM »
JJ - Still
A great sample (Still Dre), a nice relaxed voice, a bit of light and dark mixed together, an unusual structure.

The Coral: This song is a classic at this point.

Offline vile8r

• Masters Degree
  • Merits 1084
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2020, 10:53:11 PM »
Ghost -  Wow! I love that video! Some pretty cool and spooky imagery they came up with for that. And a pretty good song too.

Man Man - Yep, you're right! I have NEVER heard anything like that. LOL! A very busy song. Lots going on in it, an interesting sound.

JJ - Love that song, even though I've never been a big fan of rap, but it is not really so much rap, as like you say, just a nice and relaxed voice.

The Coral - Not so crazy about that song, but still a cool video.

Offline Grumpy

• Undergrad
  • Merits 80
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2020, 09:16:37 AM »
IIRC the song by The Coral is actually about heroin, which makes it take a pretty dark turn :P And The Ceasar's song above is about meth. There may be a theme to my music, I don't know...

Eluveitie: Folk metal, mostly, but using lots of unusual instruments like bigpipes and hurdy gurdys, and singing in a dead Celtic language. This song is very folky.

The Hellacopters: A blend between punk and rock, that isn't punk rock.

Offline Grumpy

• Undergrad
  • Merits 80
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2020, 01:06:10 PM »
One of the few songs that have made me tear up:
Nightwish - Dead Boy's Poem

What do you get when you take two of extreme metal's most prominent vocalists and have them make something bluesy? This: