Author Topic: iola rant 2  (Read 114 times)

Offline ObsideousPrime

• Senior
  • Merits 33
iola rant 2
« on: May 10, 2019, 09:45:51 AM »
More Iola Rants!...

Which Sci-fi series; which franchise had the most impact on society?!
1) Star Trek
2) Doctor Who
3) Star Wars
4) Battlestar Galactica
5) Babylon 5
6) Other

Out of this list, I'd say it's a tie between Star Trek and Star Wars.

The fanbase, the international reach and impact of these two multi billion franchises, upon society and culture, is truly an enormous and historical phenomenon.

The never ending question, among these two heavyweights, however, which is actually better?! Its quite possibly similar to another question that can be asked: which is better- NCIS or CSI? And in a lot to ways, simply, a correct answer cannot be determined.

Personally, biased or otherwise, for what it's worth, I do believe Star Trek should and does have the edge, upon all science fiction actually....a more detailed analysis on Trek, Wars and Who etc another day in another post....

But what I don't like in particular about Star Trek, and bound to spark controversy, though I make no apology for, is the following;

1) The often times subtle, but nonetheless ever prevailing, pacifist agenda, throughout the entire franchise, especially on TNG. Even though TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT is light years better than the ancient Original Series, in every way.

2) Three of the bit characters in the Original series.
Specifically, Nichelle Nicholls who plays Uhura. George Takei who plays Sulk and oh...what's his name again that plays Scott?! Ah yes James Doohan.

So my gripe with all three, GET OVER YOURSELVES!!

Honestly! These three are actually really nothing more than glorified bit parts. "Hailing frequencies open..." or ummm "warp 5 yes sir" or whatever from that Sulu thing... it doesn't take a brain surgeon to utter these lines. That's why it's reserved for bit part actors and actresses. And Nichelle and George actually think they are the show runners?! No, they are not. Neither is Doohan. The trio are dead jealous of McCoy, Spock and Kirk, the actual leads of the show, you know -the ones with functioning brains and acting talent?!

Takei in particular has a hardon for Nimoy/Spock and Shatner/Kirk. Due to pure jealousy. The prick, who has some major chip on his shoulder re American Japs in WW2 America, cannot stand, nor understand the fact, Nimoy and Shatner ARE the leads, as they ARE way better than the little, pointlessly arrogant squirt, can ever hope to be. (I cannot stand Takei at all by the way) I mean, really, in the bigger picture, what has Takei achieved?! Nothing. But he's lucky indeed to be on Star Trek. Furthermore, the Nobody is jealous of Chekov! What a damn laugh that is?!

Walter Koenig is better than all three of these Nobodies combined, he isn't a pathetic and petty, whining little moron like Takei, Nicholls and Doohan.

And as for Nichelle Nicholls? Really sweetie, no more broken record about that Luther King thing, please?! So you're black. So you're a woman. Wow great. Whatever. Good for you. But never, ever, forget, at the end of the day, you are but a bit actress who hasn't really anything big to do on a big TV show.

And then we have Doohan. Oh Jimmy boy! Beam me up Mr JD! A good enough, though doesn't exactly have a lot to do, bit character and actor on the show. I haven't a clue what his beef with Shatner was (neither does Shatner himself apparently), but I surmise it's the same as the other two Nobodies; jealousy.

Shatner, Nimoy and DeForrest Kelly are the heroes of the show, and off the show. Their achievements, their stars are so much more substantial and burn brightly than their three wannabe counterparts. As it should be, as they have real solid talent and has worked hard. And most of all Nimoy, Shatner and Kelly, each has a more intelligent and good personality than the three wannabe weaklings.

darklord
Re: iola rant 2
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 10:05:30 AM »
Probably a generational thing.  For my generation, it would be Star Trek. The original one.   I think it set a standard that was hard to duplicate. You also get attached to the original characters. Those who come after will always be in competition with the originals.

Offline bra_lover

• Undergrad
  • Merits 6
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 04:11:01 PM »
Probably a generational thing.  For my generation, it would be Star Trek. The original one.   I think it set a standard that was hard to duplicate. You also get attached to the original characters. Those who come after will always be in competition with the originals.

Me too. Captain Kirk is God!
Methodist with a bra fetish!

Offline vile8r

• Masters Degree
  • Merits 534
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 08:00:49 PM »
I'm taking Captain Picard's corner in this one.  "Make it so, Number One!"
I could rape your pussy, but I'd be in and out in a few minutes. So I choose to rape your mind, and I'll be inside you forever!

Offline bra_lover

• Undergrad
  • Merits 6
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 05:24:43 AM »
I'm taking Captain Picard's corner in this one.  "Make it so, Number One!"

Picard was good.

Kirk was simply better.
Methodist with a bra fetish!