Author Topic: Ao1's Internal iPod  (Read 13065 times)

Offline Army of One

• Professor
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 119
Re: Ao1's Internal iPod
« Reply #255 on: June 04, 2021, 03:43:54 AM »
I know the initial squeals may get on people's nerves, but once you get past that, there is a good song in there, even if it gets overshadowed by the like of "Naughty Boy", "Cry" and "Lever" from the same album.

The Mavis's - Snow White Line
Extinguishing the Flame is available on Amazon and supports Australian Bush fire relief.

carhamgrater
« Reply #256 on: June 04, 2021, 11:22:14 AM »
Once more I have never heard of them but this gives me reason to discover more by them.  Once more a personal thankyou for introducing me to them merit awarded.

Offline Army of One

• Professor
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 119
« Reply #257 on: June 30, 2021, 01:18:58 AM »
Okay...probably a bit nonsensical here, but this one I'll just give the vid link for, due to the fact that there are under-18s in the clip. (I still gave to laugh at the fact that they convinced the school to let them be in it!)

To knowledge, all the bands featured are supposed to be ones active around Melbourne at the time of filming; I certainly know five are real (six if you include the school band), which serves to reinforce the point of the song...I think...I think it's about following the trend, regardless how ridiculous. I need to check those lyrics.

TISM (This Is Serious Mum) - Thunderbirds are Coming Out
Extinguishing the Flame is available on Amazon and supports Australian Bush fire relief.

carhamgrater
« Reply #258 on: June 30, 2021, 10:08:34 AM »
In a case like this video, the underage people have no meaning of censorship, it's not like they are sexually exploited playing music (Damn if they were than I suffered years of abuse from 1979-1984!)

Never heard of any of those bands which I chalk up to the underground Australia music bar scene! Overall I loved how they were using there song to help promote interest in the other bands. Loved the lyrics as "Thunderbirds" was one of my favorite shows growing up!

Will check out more from them as I click on the merit button!

Offline Army of One

• Professor
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 119
« Reply #259 on: June 30, 2021, 05:43:51 PM »
Never heard of any of those bands which I chalk up to the underground Australia music bar scene! Overall I loved how they were using there song to help promote interest in the other bands. Loved the lyrics as "Thunderbirds" was one of my favorite shows growing up!
I have heard of 28 Days, Klinger and Mach Pelican. Bloodduster and New Waver also have Wikipedia pages. The rest never got recording contracts, if they existed, so confirmation was really difficult there.

Offline Army of One

• Professor
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 119
« Reply #260 on: July 06, 2021, 08:05:02 PM »
Three women playing bagpipes. What more is there?

Goddesses of Bagpipes (Archy Jay/The Snake Charmer, Chelsea Joy/Dame of Drones, and Jane Espie/Phantom Piper) - Shipping Out to Boston x Enter Sandman

carhamgrater
« Reply #261 on: July 07, 2021, 03:19:37 PM »
Like the song trio so much I posted the same video almost a year ago  in "From The Turntables In My Head"

http://ravishu.com/forums/index.php?topic=44173.msg409559#msg409559

Offline Army of One

• Professor
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 119
« Reply #262 on: July 08, 2021, 02:50:25 AM »
Like the song trio so much I posted the same video almost a year ago  in "From The Turntables In My Head"

http://ravishu.com/forums/index.php?topic=44173.msg409559#msg409559
Why it sometimes pays to read other people's music threads.

Offline Army of One

• Professor
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 119
« Reply #263 on: August 01, 2021, 04:47:59 AM »
Yay! So embedded videos are back. Perfect timing for this.

I'm aware of three versions of this song. The original by Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons served as the basis for this cover, and has now largely been supplanted by it, if the Måneskin version (the third version I'm aware of) is any indication. I'm doing this one, since it's the first version I knew about (from the Uncovered compilation by Ministry of Sound, so I knew it was a cover), and, as J said, is now pretty much the basis for all over covers from here on in.

Madcon - Beggin'

Offline vile8r

• Masters Degree
  • Merits 1066
« Reply #264 on: August 01, 2021, 01:12:42 PM »
Kinda funny how that will happen to a song. For example, You Really Got Me, by Van Halen. They did it as a cover of the Kinks' original on their 1978 debut album. But now, when any band does it, it's considered a cover of a Van Halen song!

I could rape your pussy, but I'd be in and out in a few minutes. So I choose to rape your mind, and I'll be inside you forever!

carhamgrater
« Reply #265 on: August 01, 2021, 08:21:36 PM »
This is one where you really can't call it a cover. It surpassed the original to take a life of it's own and demanded that others use it to cover. Now that said is it any better thaw the original, no just updated that's all! Still gets a merit from me fpr posting it!

Offline Army of One

• Professor
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 119
« Reply #266 on: August 02, 2021, 06:07:25 AM »
This is one where you really can't call it a cover. It surpassed the original to take a life of it's own and demanded that others use it to cover.
I'll agree with the surpassing part, and not just in the way you just described. I do think it is superior to the original, with the additional lyrics; mind you, because I heard the original second, that may be the cause of that belief.

Kinda funny how that will happen to a song. For example, You Really Got Me, by Van Halen. They did it as a cover of the Kinks' original on their 1978 debut album. But now, when any band does it, it's considered a cover of a Van Halen song!
A similar thing happened when Joss Stone covered Fell in Love with a Girl by the White Stripes, although taken one step further because the latter band took inspiration from the former, and slowed down the original during live performances.

Offline Army of One

• Professor
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 119
« Reply #267 on: August 10, 2021, 11:46:24 PM »
Here in Australia, because our vaccination program is pitiful, we've been having snap lockdowns, and as you can guess, for the period of the lockdown, towns and cities are barren. So, yeah, my choice of song may be in poor taste.

The Specials - Ghost Town

carhamgrater
« Reply #268 on: August 11, 2021, 11:24:20 AM »
You choice in song could be describing any place in the entire world at the moment!

Offline Army of One

• Professor
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 119
« Reply #269 on: August 30, 2021, 05:20:42 PM »
Okay, my wife has become a bit of a TikTok trawler during this lockdown...well, more of one. Which means, occasionally, gems like this get found. Something I'm sure our British members are familiar with.

Six: The Musical - Don't Lose Ur Head