Author Topic: Ao1's Internal iPod  (Read 13067 times)

carhamgrater
Re: Ao1's Internal iPod
« Reply #210 on: August 05, 2020, 06:08:39 PM »
Didn't understand a single word but loved how their voices blended perfectly. Nothing like great a cappella merit awarded for posting this! Now off to youtube to find more by them!

Offline Army of One

• Professor
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 119
« Reply #211 on: August 31, 2020, 09:17:48 AM »
Sweet dreams, everybody.

Public Image Limited - The Order of Death
Extinguishing the Flame is available on Amazon and supports Australian Bush fire relief.

carhamgrater
« Reply #212 on: August 31, 2020, 11:08:17 AM »
More like nasty nightmares! interesting for the images in the video rather then for the repetitive music!

Offline Army of One

• Professor
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 119
« Reply #213 on: August 31, 2020, 07:16:36 PM »
More like nasty nightmares! interesting for the images in the video rather then for the repetitive music!
I suppose that's why I went with the video. I mean, I like the song, but even I have to admit it's repetitive.
Extinguishing the Flame is available on Amazon and supports Australian Bush fire relief.

Offline Army of One

• Professor
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 119
« Reply #214 on: September 04, 2020, 10:08:13 AM »
Okay, let's do "Africa" by Toto...in Gaelic.

TG Lurgan - Africa

carhamgrater
« Reply #215 on: September 04, 2020, 11:49:28 AM »
Loved the opening rain storm, so very original how they duplicated the sounds with out the use of electronics. great how all the male voices blnded together flawlessly! Merit for presenting that to us!

Offline Rachel_Thornton

• Masters Degree
  • Merits 1267
« Reply #216 on: September 04, 2020, 02:55:29 PM »
One of my favourite songs of all time presented in a way I've never even comprehended before! Fantastic how they did the rainstorm at the beginning, it worked so well and was perfect for the atmosphere. Everyone looked like they were having a lovely time and really is one of those songs I could just watch over and over in a loop.
Thank you for bringing this to our attention and certainly worth a merit from me for that!

Offline Army of One

• Professor
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 119
« Reply #217 on: September 04, 2020, 04:43:55 PM »
Loved the opening rain storm, so very original how they duplicated the sounds with out the use of electronics. great how all the male voices blnded together flawlessly! Merit for presenting that to us!

One of my favourite songs of all time presented in a way I've never even comprehended before! Fantastic how they did the rainstorm at the beginning, it worked so well and was perfect for the atmosphere. Everyone looked like they were having a lovely time and really is one of those songs I could just watch over and over in a loop.
Thank you for bringing this to our attention and certainly worth a merit from me for that!

You are both very welcome. And welcome back also, Rachel.

Offline vile8r

• Masters Degree
  • Merits 1066
« Reply #218 on: September 05, 2020, 10:17:39 PM »
Very unique!
I could rape your pussy, but I'd be in and out in a few minutes. So I choose to rape your mind, and I'll be inside you forever!

Offline Army of One

• Professor
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 119
« Reply #219 on: September 06, 2020, 05:41:31 AM »
Very unique!
I agree. The group actually do a lot of covers in Gaelic, so you know what they're singing, you just need to repeat what they sing. (Thank goodness they also provide written lyrics.)

Offline Army of One

• Professor
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 119
« Reply #220 on: September 15, 2020, 07:32:35 PM »
So, if you grew up during the 70s and 80s (or even the 90s if you were in Australia), then you would probably be familiar with a Japanese show called Monkey, which adapted the 16th century Chinese epic Journey to the West. It was a great, slightly cheesy show, and school-aged me loved it!

Well, in 2018 and 2019, Australia and New Zealand decided to adapt that for The New Legends of Monkey. It's a good mix (to me; opinions may vary) of the same cheese factor that gave the original its charm, along with great storytelling, and a little loving pastiche (like Pigsy using an earphone in his rake to hear something through the ground, or Sandy narrating out loud while she writes). But the thing that sets it apart is its occasional callbacks to the original, from Tripitaka being female (in the original, he was played by a woman, since I think Tripitaka was a boy in JttW; here, the girl masquerades as Tripitaka after the original is believed killed, including pretending to be a boy), to more subtle calls like using the original's weapons in a retelling sequence, and two uses of the opening theme.

If you have Netflix, check it out on there; if you live in Australia or NZ, it should be on ABC iView or...whatever the NZ equivalent is.

For now, though, here's the original's opening theme, to help bring back memories. Only the first verse was used in the show, so we avoided the wailing synths prevalent in the rest of the song. Sorry in advance for hurting your eardrums.

Go-Die-Go - The Birth of the Odyssey (Monkey Magic)

Offline Army of One

• Professor
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 119
« Reply #221 on: September 26, 2020, 07:46:13 AM »
[sighs] It feels a little empty in here without CHG commenting. Nonetheless, I shall press on.

According to WhoSampled.com, there are twenty-five individual tracks sampled in this song, of different varieties, with different sampling densities, from the most sampled one, a comedy skit which provides the song its name, all the way down to a half-second sample of the Count (from Sesame Street) sneezing.

The Avalanches - Frontier Psychiatrist

carhamgrater
« Reply #222 on: October 10, 2020, 07:23:07 PM »
Monkey Magic - wasn't as bad as you made me envision it to be. Sure super repetitive  but no worst than any English  translated Japanese show viewed in the English speaking world!

The Avalanche- a very eclectic song that unfortunately turned me off - not even being forced to stay in bed with a stroke could get me to listen to that one fully!

Merit for Monkey and a vow of revenge for The Avalanche!

(Not really sure you will be all that happy that I'm back at least with full listening capacity!)

Offline Army of One

• Professor
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 119
« Reply #223 on: October 10, 2020, 08:51:15 PM »
(Not really sure you will be all that happy that I'm back at least with full listening capacity!)
You're making me nervous to put this one up, CHG. I think this is a good meld of musics from two different cultures: throat singing from Mongolia, and Latvian pipes and drums; you may think otherwise.

Batzorig Vaanchig & Auli - Hunnu Guren

carhamgrater
« Reply #224 on: October 11, 2020, 10:29:02 AM »
Nothing to worry about from this corner, have been listening to native Inuit Throat singing for almost twenty years, so I for one can really appreciate what you posted. A great song that I'm sure any music appreciator should love learning about! A merit will come when the stupid rule allows me!