Author Topic: Today or yesterday (in the past)  (Read 148 times)

Offline Brokenwing

• Professor
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 230
Today or yesterday (in the past)
« on: December 17, 2018, 09:11:43 AM »
On another thread Vile8r made a post about a movie where a character who was deaf-mute was raped...

http://ravishu.com/forums/index.php?topic=11875.60

Hey! I know the movie that scene is from! "Savage Streets" starring Linda Blair. That's not Linda in that scene, I can't remember who it is. But later in the movie, the bad guys gangrape her younger deaf-mute sister in a high school washroom.

It got me thinking, are we not more censored now then we were years ago?

While I think the nudity and violence are more now it seems to be the writers and scripts were far more willing to write about rape and other sexual issues in the past.  In some ways, even with less nudity in the past leaving more to the imagination sometimes I think the storylines pushed boundries much further.

Thoughts?
Just a moment to post a reply to an authors story makes it worth the hours of writing and editing the story.

darklord
Re: Today or yesterday (in the past)
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 08:02:13 PM »
I think you are onto something there Brokenwing.   Movies in the 70's like Death Wish for instance, showed rape in a dark vein, but were not afraid to hide the nudity of it. (Remember when the creeps spray painted the bare ass of his daughter while raping her and that was clearly shown)

Today, it is like filmmakers must be apologetic for even introducing the subject of rape in a film.  Hell, even a Clint Eastwood Dirty Harry movie had a vicious rape scene in it.

Bottom line is things have changed and not for the better IMHO

Offline vile8r

• Masters Degree
  • Merits 534
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 10:22:06 PM »
There are still movies being made that show rape and such but they seem to be more on the fringe now, whereas back in the 70s and 80s, it seemed like any given weekend you could go to a theatre and see some action movie or thriller with some kind of sex scene in it.
I could rape your pussy, but I'd be in and out in a few minutes. So I choose to rape your mind, and I'll be inside you forever!

carhamgrater
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 10:49:35 AM »
It seems ever since the mid 90's crimes against women have been diminishing on Tv and movies. With the rise of the women movement, most of the production companies, movie studios and the broadcast stations are afraid to incur the wrath of them. Special Interest groups have a bigger part to play on what is and isn't seen today than ever before, what with boycotting the studio other productions or advertisers associated with the show.

Offline Grumpy

• Undergrad
  • Merits 78
  • Enslavement of beauty is nature in action
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 11:32:57 AM »
I can see many reasons for this observation.

One being that it hasn't disappeared, just sprawled into less mainstream genres.

Another being that there's just so many movies and shows nowadays that they get "lost" in the mix -- we consume a hell of a lot more now than we did in the '70s.

A third is that in the '60s and '70s, the free love movement and all the hippies were a big part of mainstream culture, and as such, showing sex and sexuality, even the "deviant types," were more encouraged.

There have always been shifts in what's popular in cinema, even from the start with Méliès and The Lumiére brothers (documentary films and fiction). Later there was the Italian Neorealism, and the French New Wave and Spaghetti Westerns. The '90s were all about big budget dramas and then the '00s could be attributed to Indie, or "social realism". It just happens to be that rape and sexual violence doesn't play a big part in newer cinematic experiences, because they don't fit into "the bigger picture" of what's popular at the moment.

With that said, there are directors and movie makers that do it still, and among the most loathed and praised (often at the same time) is Lars von Trier. Nymphomaniac, Anti-Christ, and now with his latest, The House That Jack Built.