Author Topic: New Method to Pick RavishU story entries  (Read 1160 times)

Offline littlebluebird

• Junior
  • Merits 63
New Method to Pick RavishU story entries
« on: June 17, 2018, 05:34:30 AM »
Extended for an extra week, to get more participants. Come one, come all!

Am I the only one who thinks we should trim to list down in some way? Maybe condense sections, or only allow one story per author, etc. Because I do want to vote on these, but it feels a little unfair to vote for what I consider the best stories of the month if I didn't read all of the ones up for consideration. And, to be completely honest, I don't have that kind of time.

Also, this is more of a personal question related to my writings, or lack thereof, but do new chapters to an old story count for the month they are posted in. The example being my story 'Family Matters.' It's a story I started last year, but have just posted a new chapter for a few days ago. Would this story be ineligible for the June contest? I ask because my focus is on finishing my stories before starting new ones and I'm in a writing mood again so I'll likely be posting a lot of stuff over the coming months for my old stories.
"I'm a little baby bird, being pushed out of it's nest. Climbing back up the trees, admitting I'm weaker than the rest. Little honey pie, I'm broken but I'll try. To fix you along with me tonight, I won't stop until we're fine."

Offline SoftGameHunter

• Professor
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 524
  • That's me in the pic. I'm the tall one.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 10:33:24 AM »
Extended for an extra week, to get more participants. Come one, come all!

Am I the only one who thinks we should trim to list down in some way? Maybe condense sections, or only allow one story per author, etc. Because I do want to vote on these, but it feels a little unfair to vote for what I consider the best stories of the month if I didn't read all of the ones up for consideration. And, to be completely honest, I don't have that kind of time.

Also, this is more of a personal question related to my writings, or lack thereof, but do new chapters to an old story count for the month they are posted in. The example being my story 'Family Matters.' It's a story I started last year, but have just posted a new chapter for a few days ago. Would this story be ineligible for the June contest? I ask because my focus is on finishing my stories before starting new ones and I'm in a writing mood again so I'll likely be posting a lot of stuff over the coming months for my old stories.

You raise two terrific points that I've grappled with already. I'm always open to changing things, but here is why I have the contest set up the way it is right now. Regarding the size of the list, I'd be happy to trim it, but by what criteria? If it's one story per author, I would have to pick one myself, ask the author to pick one, or have some kind of nomination process. I also don't feel fair penalizing more prolific writers, but considering my output I'm not going to lead with that argument. Picking one myself would require I pre-judge stuff myself, and I'm really trying to be just the functionary that runs this contest, not a judge. Plus, I too don't read every story, and some categories I flat out don't read from and don't wish to start. Some kind of nomination process would work, where everyone is free to send me in names of suitable candidates, but only if there were at least dozens and dozens of nominators and readers willing to do this. Maybe if RU was sexstories.com we would have that kind of traffic, but I think that would fail here for lack of participation. As it is usually only a half dozen people vote. Personally, I'm okay with not reading all the stories, just like judges for the Pulitzer don't read every piece of published writing. It's just a way to have some fun and honor those who get enough of us going 'wow'. There are usually some votes spread among many types of stories and many names of authors, so I don't think anyone is being left out.

As for the idea of the new story, that was strictly for my time and sanity. It already takes me about an hour to filter back through a month of stories, find the ones that started that month by the date stamp on the very first post, C&P the URL into a formatted table for posting, and fill in the polls, also while identifying which authors qualify for the rookie awards by either recognizing them as old salts or going back through their histories to find their first story posting. If I have to go into each established story to track down which ones have new material it would just be too much work, so I choose not to do so. We already have lots of stories, this would make it more.

I know these aren't fully satisfying answers, but they're what I've got so far. As circumstances and ideas change, I'm willing to change too, but for now this is the simplest and fairest way all around.
The rumors about me are scurrilous, depraved rantings of a sick mind, and I categorically deny any sense of falsehood attributed to them.

Offline littlebluebird

• Junior
  • Merits 63
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 10:58:25 AM »
You raise two terrific points that I've grappled with already. I'm always open to changing things, but here is why I have the contest set up the way it is right now. Regarding the size of the list, I'd be happy to trim it, but by what criteria? If it's one story per author, I would have to pick one myself, ask the author to pick one, or have some kind of nomination process. I also don't feel fair penalizing more prolific writers, but considering my output I'm not going to lead with that argument. Picking one myself would require I pre-judge stuff myself, and I'm really trying to be just the functionary that runs this contest, not a judge. Plus, I too don't read every story, and some categories I flat out don't read from and don't wish to start. Some kind of nomination process would work, where everyone is free to send me in names of suitable candidates, but only if there were at least dozens and dozens of nominators and readers willing to do this. Maybe if RU was sexstories.com we would have that kind of traffic, but I think that would fail here for lack of participation. As it is usually only a half dozen people vote. Personally, I'm okay with not reading all the stories, just like judges for the Pulitzer don't read every piece of published writing. It's just a way to have some fun and honor those who get enough of us going 'wow'. There are usually some votes spread among many types of stories and many names of authors, so I don't think anyone is being left out.

As for the idea of the new story, that was strictly for my time and sanity. It already takes me about an hour to filter back through a month of stories, find the ones that started that month by the date stamp on the very first post, C&P the URL into a formatted table for posting, and fill in the polls, also while identifying which authors qualify for the rookie awards by either recognizing them as old salts or going back through their histories to find their first story posting. If I have to go into each established story to track down which ones have new material it would just be too much work, so I choose not to do so. We already have lots of stories, this would make it more.

I know these aren't fully satisfying answers, but they're what I've got so far. As circumstances and ideas change, I'm willing to change too, but for now, this is the simplest and fairest way all around.

I do have some ideas in regards to making changes, but I think the major issues facing those changes would be, as you mentioned, the size of the active voting community here, which is only a fraction of the active user base, and the amount of work that would be required of one person to implement such changes. One entry per author would be a good idea I think, but the decision would absolutely have to be left up to the author to pick their own entry if they have multiple stories, which would require contacting each of them in private. This may exclude less active people because they may visit very infrequently and miss the message. It's also a lot of extra work on your end to be messaging each person. However, it would shorten the list and likely ensure quality control. Let's face it, when you write ten stories a month, you're undoubtedly going to have a story that is far better than the rest.

As for the other suggestion of mine, that was really more of a gripe I had personally because I pretty much find myself excluded from the contest just based on the fact that I'm actively (but slowly) working on finishing pre-existing stories of mine before I start newer works. That said, would it be allowed if an author (say myself) posts a new chapter(s) for an older story to get in on the month that I wrote them, if I PM you telling you that and linking to you to that specific post of the story?

I started Family Matters last year, and I just posted a new chapter this month, and I'm currently working on some other stuff for old stories too. So could I request via PM to get in for the month of June for those stories or not? I really don't care either way, but I am curious, I'll admit.
"I'm a little baby bird, being pushed out of it's nest. Climbing back up the trees, admitting I'm weaker than the rest. Little honey pie, I'm broken but I'll try. To fix you along with me tonight, I won't stop until we're fine."

carhamgrater
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 11:24:18 AM »
So I've read all the replies between the two of you and i got to thinking would it be harder on SoftGameHunter if the contest was open so that people posted what they felt was the best story of the month (Start within said month) or As Littlebluebird would like to see A chapter or inclusion into an existing story. This way the post could help narrow down  the overall number of stories and act as a vote all in one.

Mainly asking because i'm not sure but i think you might have missed Brokenwing's "Runaway" for inclusion in the contest based on stories started in the last three months! (March 20th was the first dated post for the story!) Which would make me change my existing vote!

Offline SoftGameHunter

• Professor
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 524
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 11:48:15 AM »
So I've read all the replies between the two of you and i got to thinking would it be harder on SoftGameHunter if the contest was open so that people posted what they felt was the best story of the month (Start within said month) or As Littlebluebird would like to see A chapter or inclusion into an existing story. This way the post could help narrow down  the overall number of stories and act as a vote all in one.

Mainly asking because i'm not sure but i think you might have missed Brokenwing's "Runaway" for inclusion in the contest based on stories started in the last three months! (March 20th was the first dated post for the story!) Which would make me change my existing vote!

The three month span is for rookie authors. If their first story on RU is in the past three months, they get inclusion in the Rookie Author Awards contest, and this way they get a few tries before they're considered old hands at it. The choice of three months is entirely arbitrary on my part. The stories themselves have to start within that calendar month, though. Yeah, it kind of kills me that I had a long gap and one of BW's stories never made it into one of the contests, but that's just how it goes sometimes. I could make a make-up contest covering November to April, but that would be a monstrosity.
The rumors about me are scurrilous, depraved rantings of a sick mind, and I categorically deny any sense of falsehood attributed to them.

Offline Grumpy

• Undergrad
  • Merits 80
  • Enslavement of beauty is nature in action
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 12:12:19 PM »
Each author gets to pick one story and nominate it themselves in one of these posts made by a mod - either the rookie award or the other award.

Promote said post every few days (bump it) with something like "Only 10 days left to nominate a story" to have it show up in people's unread posts-feed, to get people to participate.

I don't think you have to complicate matters more than that. It's not an award for frequent writing, it's an award for "best story", and it really shouldn't matter if you post one every month or one every day - nominate your best story to have the best chance of winning.

Offline SoftGameHunter

• Professor
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 524
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 12:37:27 PM »
Well, if there's enough support, I could give it a go. Let's keep this conversation up (assuming there's anything more to say) and see if we can get some community feedback.

I have to say, for personal and philosophical reasons, that I'm not keen on limiting the entries to one story per author. On the other hand, I have no problem with saying that those of us with occasionally very high story counts can parse it down.

How does this sound to everything reading this (up to and including the end of the month when I have to actually do something):
  • Every registered poster can nominate three stories each month just by posting into a thread I'll set up for that purpose. They will have to include a link, to make my life easier.
  • Every author who has an eligible story can make a fourth nomination (as a reward for writing).
  • Because I really like supporting new talent, the Rookie Author Awards will continue as before, but inclusion of their stories in the general contest will be by nomination as with other stories.
  • Since this will drastically reduce the number of entries, continuing stories will become eligible as long as they have new content within the covered calendar month.

This will open up good continuing stories for continued kudos. It will reduce the number of stories in the list to a more manageable level. It will guarantee that prolific authors can get their best stuff in, but will be limited to four unless someone else nominates something. The downside is that without audience participation it may shrink down to a husk of its former self.

Let's bat this around for a few days. If I hear more enthusiasm than despair, I'll set it up for June nominations to begin in a few days.

I'm also moving this topic to a new thread of its own.

Offline littlebluebird

• Junior
  • Merits 63
Re: New Method to Pick RavishU story entries
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 01:49:25 PM »
I would say all of that would be reasonable, at least for me, anyway. So basically each user can nominate up to three stories per month (four if they've posted a story of their own in that contest month) and once all those entries are in, we take a vote? Since there are four weeks per month, maybe give the users a two week deadline starting at the beginning of the contest month to get nominations in for the previous month (So, say June 14th would be the deadline for May stories) and an additional two weeks of voting afterwards that would end on the last day of the month before a winner is chosen?

Have winners in three tiers, maybe? A first, second, and third place based on the numerical count of votes received.

I'm wondering if maybe we could keep the rookie authors a separate thing altogether? As in, the same rules apply generally, up to three stories (conditionally four) nominations per user. Two weeks of selection, followed by two weeks to vote. Rookie authors would be defined as a user whose first story has been posted within the last month and have them eligible to be in the new author category for three months total. That way, you'd give rookie authors a better chance to win and be noticed when they're not being compared to some of the fan-favourite authors like vile8r or brokenwing. I feel like if new authors had three awards each month, and the 'veteran' users had three awards also, there would be a nice separation between the two, allowing new authors to feel less pressure due to having to compete with authors who are well-known and who are more likely to get views and ultimately, nominations.

I'm not sure if that would be too much work for you, or if I'm overstepping and trying to run the place because that is totally not my intention! But that would be, in my opinion, a pretty fair to run the contest. But yes! Let's keep the discussion going on this so we can improve it! ::):

darklord
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2018, 07:36:47 PM »
This sounds like a good idea in the works.  I seriously need to catch up on some stories.  Lots of them to read.

Offline SoftGameHunter

• Professor
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 524
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 01:59:43 AM »
I thought of one possible problem, though I'm not sure if anyone will care that much. By making the nominations open and limited in number, I'm giving more power to later voters who may see stories they already like making the list, and thus giving them more options to nominate other stories. On the other hand, there are so few active voters as it is that the nomination votes may well foreshadow the final results.

I'm still inclined to give this new way a try, if nothing else than so we can see if it increases or decreases overall interest.

Thoughts?