« on: December 21, 2013, 03:34:58 AM »
x
« Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 09:42:58 PM by Neighbor »

Offline Mr. Mongo

• Junior
  • Merits 5
Re: Asperger's - Autism Spectrum
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 03:51:13 AM »
I was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome at age 40. I disagree with the good memory trait.

I was an early talker.
I could argue as well as an adult by age five
I took forever to learn to walk
I was a "toe walker"
I hate to be touched
Light coming into a dark room through blinds cause me dizziness and nausea due to the pattern of light and darkness
Vibration and the sound of hair cutting freaks me out and I have not had a haircut since 1993
I lack the ability to realize social cues
I was described as being withdrawn as a child
I am ridged in may ways
Change causes me anxiety
I have poor eye contact and look at peoples' noses or mouths when talking to them
I sometimes lose my balance for no reason

You forgot to list Dan Akroyd as having Asperger's. I also do not belive Putin has Asperger's, but I do believe Hitler did. ;)

Offline Mr. Mongo

• Junior
  • Merits 5
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 03:53:22 AM »
I also have social anxiety and a lot of panic attacks.  emot_omfg.gif

Offline beannacht

• Senior
  • Merits 7
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 01:58:56 PM »
I believe that should read "excellent selective memory"--since only topics of interest are well-stored, while much else is deemed irrelevant and is often discarded.

Offline mikempire

• Freshman
  • Merits 1
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 02:26:37 PM »
I was diagnosed 4 years ago. I am 25 now. I said yes to all of them but the handwriting question.

The most difficult thing for me is seeking out sexual relationships. Sometimes I don't want to put in any effort into meeting the opposite sex because it is so confusing. Also sometimes I blackout at unexpected touch. Anyone have something that helps them out?
やり捲ろう

Offline PenitentGirl

• Junior
  • Merits 19
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 03:57:56 AM »
Were you known as a clumsy child, or did your physical movements tend to be controlled by your conscious intellect? No. Very not clumsy
Were you known as someone who had a large vocabulary at an early age? Often used BIG words? Yes, very much so. I used the word furthermore(correctly) when i was 5.
Did you seem to have a much better than average memory? Yes. Helps a lot
Did you tend to miss the point of other people's satire or humor, and they often miss YOURS? No.
Were you teased as, or thought of as, 'different' than the other kids? Strange? Yes
Were you sometimes told by others that you came off as "PHONEY"? Sometimes
Were you bullied or teased a lot in school? They tried
Did others tell you (or did YOU notice) you seem to lack empathy for the feelings of others? No
As a child, did YOU hate to be touched (held or hugged), or did either of your PARENTS avoid physical contact? Opposite
Have you tended to have a very small set of, maybe just one or two, close friends? Yes
Had trouble waiting 'your turn' when talking? No
Often been told you speak without inflection, or in a monotone? No
Do you often avoid looking at others in the face? Yes
Do you tend to have a small set of very technical interests, at which you greatly excel? Yes
When you explain stuff to others, do you often have difficulty in knowing when to stop? Yes
Have you been told you have a tendency to stare? Many times
Is your handwriting slow, blocky, or deliberate? No, pretty
Do you often get excited about little things? Or have a tendency to overreact? Trouble letting it go? No
Do you tend to sometimes blurt out something inappropriate? No

Chronic Anxiety, Depression (especially adolescent), nonverbal Learning problems, Obsessive-Compulsive (OCD), Social Anxiety? Anxiety. OCD

Extended periods of laughing or crying without apparent cause? Not without cause
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 04:28:08 AM by PenitentGirl »

Offline Strong in Heart

• Senior
  • Merits 32
  • "Fight for what you believe in"
    • Soul Surviving Healing
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 07:10:06 PM »
I know Faye Kane is autistic and at one time I used to follow her blog which is now deceased (apparently through hacker activity).

So it's not always just the 'aggressive' side of autism; some autists also prefer the 'passive' or 'submissive' side.

On a forum I used to run one of my members was an autistic male who was also a 'switch' who sometimes wanted to be dominant and sometimes submissive.
Kindness is what matters most
After that maybe sincerity
Be true to yourself
A condemnation out of ignorance is always unjust

Offline Willowy

• Junior
  • Merits 6
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 07:57:23 AM »
I've been diagnosed as having Asperger's Syndrome, but have my answers and qualifiers anyway...

Were you known as a clumsy child, or did your physical movements tend to be controlled by your conscious intellect?
Clumsy, but medical reasons other than Asperger's contributed to this.

Were you known as someone who had a large vocabulary at an early age? Often used BIG words?
Yeah; I read a lot and used words I'd seen in books.

Did you seem to have a much better than average memory?
With the qualifier above that the memory thing seems to be excellent selective memory; yeah.

Did you tend to miss the point of other people's satire or humor, and they often miss YOURS?
Yup, definitely.

Were you teased as, or thought of as, 'different' than the other kids? Strange?
Yeah. School wasn't fun.

Were you sometimes told by others that you came off as "PHONEY"?
I dunno. I remember that people tried to 'help' by saying 'we'd like you if you changed' but no one could/would? actually say something like "if you offered to fuck us after dates instead of keeping your legs closed". If they had, I would've had a clue as to what needed to change.

Were you bullied or teased a lot in school?
Yes.

Did others tell you (or did YOU notice) you seem to lack empathy for the feelings of others?
I think I was told?

As a child, did YOU hate to be touched (held or hugged), or did either of your PARENTS avoid physical contact?
I didn't like to be touched except by certain people, but this was not wholly due to Aspergers.

Have you tended to have a very small set of, maybe just one or two, close friends?
Yes, definitely. A part of this is due to finances--I don't have money to go out as much as other people would like, and this has tended to mean that I'm not worth bothering with.

Had trouble waiting 'your turn' when talking?
Uh... I think the answer is yes, but I grew out of this/learned better eventually. May still be prone to the *hear comment, blurt out relevant fact* thing, which is sort of like this question's purview.

Often been told you speak without inflection, or in a monotone?
I think so?

Do you often avoid looking at others in the face?
...I want to, but I really can't.

Do you tend to have a small set of very technical interests, at which you greatly excel?
...yes.

When you explain stuff to others, do you often have difficulty in knowing when to stop?
Depends mostly on the subject.

Have you been told you have a tendency to stare?
Does it count if it's boobs? :-P Uh... hmm. I guess maybe I might 'stare' at someone in that I am looking in their direction but I am not looking at them as such?

Is your handwriting slow, blocky, or deliberate?
My handwriting is a fucking unreadable mess. So yes, if I want it to be readable, then it has to be as above.

Do you often get excited about little things? Or have a tendency to overreact? Trouble letting it go?
Yes, I can get excited about little things, but from my perspective they're not little to me? Like for example, I've heard that Jason David Frank and Amy Jo Johnson (original Green and Pink Rangers) have a cameo in the 2017 Power Rangers movie. To me, this is a freaking awesome throwback to the original series, yet others might go "eh, whatever". And I SQUEED at the closing credit scene with Tommy's green bag and the teacher being all "Tommy Oliver?" Because OMG WHAT A GREAT TEASER FOR THE NEXT MOVIE.

...so yeah, I probably proved that one. :-P

The way I read the second question... I feel like it's asking if one overreacts without real cause? And while I likely did so in childhood... I feel like, as said in an earlier answer, I grew up/learned better eventually.

Let me put it this way: I'm lucky enough to not be allergic to anything, but if I were allergic to shellfish, say, and I told my boy/girlfriend this, yet every time they made dinner for me, they forgot I was allergic, I'm going to blow my stack eventually, and to me, this is not an overreaction as such because it's a reaction to the constant disregard of the boundary I've explicitly requested over and over be respected.

Do you tend to sometimes blurt out something inappropriate?
...probably. And I usually don't realise it is until too late.

Chronic Anxiety, Depression (especially adolescent), nonverbal Learning problems, Obsessive-Compulsive (OCD), Social Anxiety?
Chronic depression since before adolescence, a perhaps on the nonverbal learning problems, and maybe slight social anxiety? I really do prefer one on one...

Extended periods of laughing or crying without apparent cause?
Honestly, not sure. It's equally possible either way.
just a small-town girl, living in a lonely world...

Offline SoftGameHunter

• Professor
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 496
  • That's me in the pic. I'm the tall one.
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 02:38:36 PM »
I self-diagnosed myself as having a modest form of this years ago. Basically based on yes answers to many of these types of questions.

Did you tend to miss the point of other people's satire or humor, and they often miss YOURS? As a child, often, but less so with experience.
Were you teased as, or thought of as, 'different' than the other kids? Strange? This was the default.
Were you sometimes told by others that you came off as "PHONEY"? No, but I figured it out that this was happening.
Were you bullied or teased a lot in school? Default
Did others tell you (or did YOU notice) you seem to lack empathy for the feelings of others? Yes, and I consider this to be the biggest tragedy of Aspergers, at least for me. I have some empathy for other people, but most people have more. Worse is that for whatever I do have, I am definitely not good at showing or expressing it. This is one of the reasons I don't react to bad news by posters here with as many regrets and condolences as others. I read what I try to write as mechanical and condescending, and better if left unposted.
As a child, did YOU hate to be touched (held or hugged), or did either of your PARENTS avoid physical contact? Yes, and it continues today to some extent. It doesn't help that I am crazy ticklish. This bothers my wife, so it bothers me.
Have you tended to have a very small set of, maybe just one or two, close friends? yes, but this improves yearly
Often been told you speak without inflection, or in a monotone? A roommate in college said I talked to my family with the same tone I would use to speak to the phone company.
When you explain stuff to others, do you often have difficulty in knowing when to stop? Yes
Do you often get excited about little things? Or have a tendency to overreact? Trouble letting it go? yes
Do you tend to sometimes blurt out something inappropriate? Not lately. Age provides wisdom that substitutes for instinct. But I've sure put my foot in my mouth plenty.

And some others I've read:

- I don't care for crowds at all. Being around that many people is stressful.
- I have a hypersensitivity to some touches. Extremely soft fabrics creep me out and seem unnatural.
- I don't speak like I write. When I write, the pace of my words and brain can synchronize. When I talk, there are no guarantees. This has become vastly improved with time, as I am now in my mid forties and speaking well is a skill that can be learned. I also discovered that Aspergers doesn't mean you can't have an inner wise-ass or thoroughly enjoy hamming it up while speaking to people. Ironically, I have less fear of public speaking than I think most of the population does (unless I'm just flat-out unprepared or something). I still loathe small-talk with strangers, or even sometimes with people I know.
The rumors about me are scurrilous, depraved rantings of a sick mind, and I categorically deny any sense of falsehood attributed to them.

Offline RecoveryMode
  • Sophomore
  • Merits 4
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2021, 05:04:40 AM »
I have met a lot of people in prison and support groups like this. You are definitely on to something.
There's only one rule in the jungle: when the lion's hungry, he eats.