Author Topic: `Partial Birth' Abortion Ban Upheld by Top U.S. Court  (Read 2141 times)

LordVerde

Offline Lois

• Dean
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 364
Re: `Partial Birth' Abortion Ban Upheld by Top U.S. Court
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 10:19:19 PM »
If you don't believe in abortion - DON'T HAVE ONE!   :emot_rotf.gif:
So much oppression in our culture is based on shame about sex: the oppression of women, of cultural minorities, oppression in the name of the (presumably asexual) family, oppression of sexual minorities. We are all oppressed. We have all been taught, one way or another, that our desires, our bodies, our sexualities, are shameful. What better way to defeat oppression than to get together in communities and celebrate the wonders of sex?
The Ethical Slut: A Guide to Infinite Sexual Possibilities

Offline binder38us

• Panty Hose Fan!
  • Senior
  • Merits 4
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 04:58:04 PM »
Sainty for who?

The one point about the abortion debate is that those who oppose a woman's choice, also oppose sex education and birth control.

My Mother was a Public Health Nurse who hated abortion because women used it as birth control. She went out of her way to teach and show them what was out ther for them to use.

One makes there own choices in life...we will pay our prices for those choices...

I rather the government not go out of its way to make choices for women.
I came, I saw, I made love.

LordVerde
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 02:44:40 AM »
Hmmm... Govt. go out of its way to limit choice....  Lets see here...

Lets look at this choice:  You give birth to all of the child except for the head at which point the back of the head is punctured and the brains are sucked out so the skull will collapse and the rest of the body can be removed.

http://www.nrlc.org/abortion/pba/PBA_Images/PBA_Images_Heathers_Place.htm
and
http://www.nrlc.org/abortion/pba/Partial-Birth_Abortion.jpg

But dont worry, its all for the better because now there will be stem cells for more research all at the cost of a human life.

Dont get me wrong as I would not stop a woman from making a informed decision on getting an abortion as long as she is informed on what really takes place.  The problem here is that the great majority of women do not know this and the left, along with its support groups, prefer it that way.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 03:25:56 AM by LordVerde »

LordVerde
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 03:25:04 AM »

Ahh, but the Dutch have it figured out. I love the Dutch, they are so enlightened and  Coming to a U.S. city and town near you !

Now They Want to Euthanize Children
In the Netherlands, 31 percent of pediatricians have killed infants. A fifth of these killings were done without the "consent" of parents. Going Dutch has never been so horrible.
by Wesley J. Smith

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/004/616jszlg.asp

Offline binder38us

• Panty Hose Fan!
  • Senior
  • Merits 4
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 09:41:16 AM »
This is why this pointless...

I will not debate this...I believe that banning abortion will cause more problems than it will solve.

My morality will be a question between me and My God when that time comes...

Offline Lois

• Dean
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 364
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 05:59:42 PM »
The problem is that this is a slippery slope ruling, to ban a procedure that is almost never performed.  Also it excludes the usual exemption "except when necessary to save the life of the mother."

The ruling:  http://www.supremecourtus.gov/opinions/06pdf/05-380.pdf

A partial birth abortion is a type of dilation and evacuation (D&E) abortion called an "intact" D&E.  The slippery slope is in wondering how long before all D&E abortions are banned?  And then how long before all abortions are banned?

As for your assertion that such fetuses would be used for stem cell research you are wrong.  Only embryonic cells can be used.  Fetal cells are already differentiated and thus no longer stem cells.

I agree with Binder.  Rather than focusing on abortion, let us make birth control readily and freely available.

Also let us end America's huge mortality rate through pre- and postnatal care.  Let's care for individuals throughout their lives, including affordable universal health care to improve life and life expectancy for the nearly forty-five million uninsured Americans.  Lets improve the quality of the air we breathe and the water we drink.  Let's improve schools and parenting so that every young life has a chance to flower.   Let's find ways to end violence in our society that cuts short so many lives.  Let's support stem cell research, rather than destroying the hopes of millions of suffering Americans for the sake of a tiny cluster of undifferentiated cells that will otherwise be discarded.

So much oppression in our culture is based on shame about sex: the oppression of women, of cultural minorities, oppression in the name of the (presumably asexual) family, oppression of sexual minorities. We are all oppressed. We have all been taught, one way or another, that our desires, our bodies, our sexualities, are shameful. What better way to defeat oppression than to get together in communities and celebrate the wonders of sex?

LordVerde
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 12:33:26 AM »

Never said ban abortion, just this procedure... 

This is why this pointless...

I will not debate this...I believe that banning abortion will cause more problems than it will solve.

My morality will be a question between me and My God when that time comes...

LordVerde
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 01:14:19 AM »
The problem is that this is a slippery slope ruling, to ban a procedure that is almost never performed.  Also it excludes the usual exemption "except when necessary to save the life of the mother."

The ruling:  http://www.supremecourtus.gov/opinions/06pdf/05-380.pdf

Because its not necessary.  There are many other ways of removing the child from the mother without risking her life.

A partial birth abortion is a type of dilation and evacuation (D&E) abortion called an "intact" D&E.  The slippery slope is in wondering how long before all D&E abortions are banned?  And then how long before all abortions are banned?

So then why should we even think of banning any kind so surgery.  Why not just allow any kind of surgery to be performed without any restriction?

As for your assertion that such fetuses would be used for stem cell research you are wrong.  Only embryonic cells can be used.  Fetal cells are already differentiated and thus no longer stem cells.

Really?  Think you need to do some research on Fetal Tissue usage here in the US and the world and there are those on the left that want to use stem cells from these sources.

I agree with Binder.  Rather than focusing on abortion, let us make birth control readily and freely available.

I thought it was.  Its pushed in every high school, in every city and has a huge budget and the left only wants one side to be heard.  Take a condom or take a pill but dont listing to anything about abstinence.

Also let us end America's huge mortality rate through pre- and postnatal care.

This is one of those twists of statistics that I do not believe.  We have the highest amount of elderly populations in the world because of the medical standards here in the US.  I have never studied these stats but something stinks just like the French never die from heart attacks.

Let's care for individuals throughout their lives, including affordable universal health care to improve life and life expectancy for the nearly forty-five million uninsured Americans.

And lets do it on the backs of hard working productive Americans who planned for such events and just steal from their hard work to pay for those who illegally enter our country, have indiscriminate sex without any thought to pregnancy, and bring crashing down the best health care system in the world all at the same time.

Lets improve the quality of the air we breathe and the water we drink.

The air has steadily improved over the last 3 decades and improves continually... We just have to stop all that nasty pollutant CO2.

Let's improve schools and parenting so that every young life has a chance to flower.

Im all for that, so lets take the federal govt. completely out of it and let communities decide on what is best on how to educate their children as it once did. Or better yet, let parents decide on where best to educate their child and let them decide best were to spend the tax dollars.

Let's find ways to end violence in our society that cuts short so many lives.

Let's all be taught how to use and carry firearms and learn that a armed society is a polite society.

Let's support stem cell research, rather than destroying the hopes of millions of suffering Americans for the sake of a tiny cluster of undifferentiated cells that will otherwise be discarded.

Yea, lets just kill off another 20 million children in the process rather than spend money on genetic and drug research that actually has produced results.

Offline Lois

• Dean
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 364
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 02:06:01 AM »

Quote from: Emily on Yesterday at 01:59:42 AM
Let's care for individuals throughout their lives, including affordable universal health care to improve life and life expectancy for the nearly forty-five million uninsured Americans.

Quote from: Verde:
And lets do it on the backs of hard working productive Americans who planned for such events and just steal from their hard work ........

Your quote illustrates the radical-right world view, as does Dan Quayle's acceptance speech to the Republican convention in 1992.  He said, in a rhetorical question arguing against the graduated income tax, "Why should the best people be punished?"  Rich people are "the best people" according to the radical-right value system.

Let's follow where this value system leads: 

Wealthy people tend to be the good people, a natural elite that has achieved its position through the morality of discipline.  Competition for scarce resources also imposes discipline, and thus serves morality.  The poor remain poor because they lack discipline needed to prosper.  The poor, therefore deserve to be poor and miserable, and serve the wealthy.  The wealthy need and deserve poor people to serve them.  The vast and increasing gap between the rich and the poor is both natural and good.

To the extent that markets are "free," they serve the disciplined good people to accumulate wealth.  Free markets are moral: If everyone pursues his own profit, the profit for all will be maximized.  Regulation is bad; it gets in the way of the free pursuit of profit.

The fundamental problem with this world view gives no importance to the values of empathy (the capacity to connect with other people) and responsibility, and the core values that follow from these ideals:

1. Protection (for those that need it: children, elderly, poor, etc.)
2. Fulfillment in life (so that others can lead meaningful lives as you would want to)
3. Freedom (because to seek fulfillment, you must be free)
4. Opportunity (because leading a fulfilling life requires opportunities to explore what is meaningful and fruitful)
5. Fairness (because unfairness can stifle freedom and opportunity)
6. Prosperity (because a certain base amount of material wealth is necessary to lead a fulfilling life and pay for shelter, food and health)
7. Community (because no one makes it alone, and communities are necessary for anyone to lead a fulfilling life)

Franklin Roosevelt said in his second inaugural address, "In our personal ambitions we are individualists.  But in our seeking for economic and political progress as a nation, we all go up or we all go down, as one people."  Citizens bring together their common wealth for the common good in order to build an infrastructure that benefits all and that contributes crucially to the pursuit of individual goals.  This is the essence of the Common Good Principle.

(Warren Buffet has famously observed that he could not have achieved his wealth had he lived in Bangladesh, where the banking system and the stock market leave much to be desired.)

The common wealth provides protection for the common good: police, military, firefighters and courts.

It allows for fulfillment in life and creates opportunities, thereby enhancing the common good: schools, universities, national parks, roads, a banking infrastructure to start a business.  The more money one makes, the more one tends to use the common wealth, and the more responsibility one has to its maintenance. (This is an important moral basis for progressive taxation.)

The common wealth creates freedoms for the common good.  Freedom is enshrined by our Constitution including the Bill of Rights, is protected by the courts, and is enhanced by the common wealth.  The social safety net and Social Security grant us freedom from want.

The Common Good Principle promotes fairness and equality.  A progressive government guards against discrimination and works to prevent under-served communities.  It operates on the principle that we're all in this together, not that you are on your own.  Being together means that we all get the benefits of everyone working for the common good, as well as the responsibilities.

Using the common wealth for the common good creates prosperity and builds community.

Why universal health care?  Because it is for the common good.  Healthy citizens will mean a healthy nation.  Disease, after all, is transmittable.  Also, given the wealth of our nation, it is shameful that we do not take the human dignity of our citizens more seriously.  Many of those without health insurance are the working poor, who do not have jobs that include health care.  And of course the majority of those without health care are children.  Universal health care is also about protecting those who need protection most.

to pay for those who illegally enter our country,

Now why do you bring up illegals?  The real problem is Illegal Employers, who hire illegal aliens so they don't have to pay decent wages or pay taxes.  Illegal employers hurt all Americans when they hire undocumented workers because it drives down wages.  They also drive the system that brings thousands of undocumented workers into our country every year.  They would not be here if they could find no work.

have indiscriminate sex without any thought to pregnancy,

It would be easier to have safe-sex if contraceptives were free.  When I was one of the working poor, before California made coverage for contraceptives a requirement for all health insurance companies here, I paid $35/pack for a supply of birth control pills.  It was a cost I could not afford at the time.  As for condoms being offered free to high school students, I never got one!

..... Take a condom or take a pill but don't listing to anything about abstinence.
Are you preaching abstinence?  That sounds strange cumming from you!

and bring crashing down the best health care system in the world all at the same time.

A health care system that is based on the ability of the patient to pay, and excludes millions, hardly qualifies as one of the best health care systems in the world.

Really?  Think you need to do some research on Fetal Tissue usage here in the US and the world and there are those on the left that want to use stem cells from these sources.

I worked in the Biotechnology field for a number of years, remember?  So I know my statement is true: Only embryonic cells can be used for stem cell research.  Fetal cells are already differentiated and thus are no longer stem cells.  I would suggest you follow your own advice about the research.

Quote from: Emily on Yesterday at 01:59:42 AM
Verde: Because its not necessary.  There are many other ways of removing the child from the mother without risking her life.

You are quite right, there are other ways of removing the child from the mother without risking her life.  But the other method is just as gruesome.  There are "intact" extractions (aka Partial Birth Abortions) as well as the more typical extraction method where the fetus is ripped apart while it is removed.  The doctor may take up to 10-15 passes before it is removed.  The anti-choice forces appealed to the emotions of the politicians and the public to get a ban on the partial birth abortion.  Typical D&Es are just as gruesome.  So what is to stop all D&E procedures from being banned?  Hence this is why it is called a slippery slope issue.

Well I'm tired now and off to bed .... good night!

Offline Lois

• Dean
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 364
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 12:33:41 AM »
Verde:
Im all for that, so lets take the federal govt. completely out of it and let communities decide on what is best on how to educate their children as it once did. Or better yet, let parents decide on where best to educate their child and let them decide best were to spend the tax dollars.

You mean before there was public education?  Or are you advocating vouchers?

I support public education because it serves the common good.  We live in a world where it is increasingly difficult for unskilled laborers to make a living wage.  Without a good public education system capable of preparing the workforce we will have a glut unemployable persons. 

So you think taxes for education are expensive?  Just wait to see what caring for the unemployed costs!  Persons not able to get employment are likely to turn to crime to support themselves.  The costs of incarceration, unemployment and security to protect your person, home and belongings is much higher than the cost of providing a good public education.  Public education is a part of the infrastructure that has made America a great nation.  Employed people pay taxes and contribute to society, unemployed and incarcerated persons do not.

As for vouchers, let us examine their role, and how they contribute to society, within the radical-right's value system:

Immoral, undisciplined children can lead moral, disciplined children astray.  Accordingly, parents should be able to choose to which schools they send their children.  Government funding should be taken away from public schools and given to parents in the form of vouchers.  This will help wealthier (more disciplined and moral) citizens send their children to private or religious schools that teach conservative values and impose appropriate discipline.  The vouchers given to poorer (less disciplined and less worthy) people will not be sufficient to allow them to get their children into the better private and religious schools.  Schools will thus come to reflect the natural divisions of wealth in society.  Of course, students who show exceptional discipline and talent should be given scholarships to the better schools.  This will help maintain the social elite as a natural elite.

Progressives do not support a voucher system because it does not contribute to the common good and is inherently unfair to those without the resources to make effective use of them.  It also penalizes children based on the income and social status of their parents. 

Offline binder38us

• Panty Hose Fan!
  • Senior
  • Merits 4
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2007, 01:38:26 AM »

I thought it was.  Its pushed in every high school, in every city and has a huge budget and the left only wants one side to be heard.  Take a condom or take a pill but dont listing to anything about abstinence.

That is all that is taught: abstentice...

And your opinion that is is "pushed" like drugs shows the hypocrisy in the anti-choice movement.

Underage sex has been a fact of life in every generation. It seems that when we get older that we forget that we ALL were nothing but slaves to our hormones.

PROPER sex education is not just telling kids "Don't do it"... it is making them aware of their body and their feelings and the CONSEQUENCES if they are not careful with those feelings.

Telling kids about sex does not encourage teen age sex...it helps prevent unwanted pregancies and STDs.

Let me tell you a secret: kids have sex with one another! 

If they make that decsion, at least they have the choice to use birth control to prevent pregenacies...and the information to protect them selves form sexualy transmitted diseases...

« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 01:44:52 AM by binder38us »

Offline Jeff1482
  • Junior
  • Merits 3
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2007, 03:35:33 PM »
Someone has to speak for the innocent here and I guess I am the only Pro-Lifer around.  I have heard all arguments and they are all a crock in my opinion.  Ending a human life that is not a threat is never right, no matter what the circumstances.  I sense someday humans will look back on what we have done and look at us as barbarians.

Offline Lois

• Dean
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 364
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2007, 09:37:50 PM »
Jeff,

Are you truly pro-life?  Do you support free contraceptives so that abortions are not necessary?  Do you support universal health care so no one would die for lack of medical care?  Are you against the death penalty?  Are you against war?

Are you really pro life?  Or really pro- forced birthing and forced pregnancy?

I am for personal freedom, no tolerance for unwanted pregnancies, and protecting rape victims in this country from being forced to bear the children of their rapists.

I am pro: women, children, families, and freedom.  I am pro-choice because I believe in free will, which is at the very core of freedom.  I support free contraceptives and sex education because I believe that people should have more choices than just abortion.  Every child should be a wanted child because a wanted child is a loved child, and a loved child succeeds and flourishes.  I support universal health care so that no one would be denied the right to live because of the inability to pay for medical care.

Young people, especially young men, want to have sex.  A LOT OF SEX.  Imagine if every instance of sex resulted in a pregnancy.  It is especially important that our young people have access to education and family planning essentials.

A very high percentage of the unwanted pregnancies are among women and girls who have been denied sex education and contraception.  Abortion is a medical procedure. Like all medical interventions, I'd prefer that it wasn't used unnecessarily, but it needs to be available when it's required.

So what makes a human?

There is a question of what makes a human "human", and not an animal.  I do not consider a mass of cells, with the potential to become human, a human.  It is a potential, nothing more. 

What makes a human?  Sentience or even sapient thought?  An Operational Brain?  The ability to think, reason, and have abstract thought?  Or is it our humanity?  Those qualities that make us caring and loving? 

The point is, a human embryo or fetus is capable of none of these things. Therefore a human embryo or fetus is not a human.  However,  a human embryo or fetus does have the potential to become human.  I am against waisting potential, so I prefer education and contraception over abortion, but in no way should abortion be equated with murder.

Of course I know I am being unfair.  I am being rational, and we all know the abortion issue is an emotional one for many, and has nothing to do with rational thought.

Offline Jeff1482
  • Junior
  • Merits 3
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2007, 10:06:33 PM »
Jeff,

Are you truly pro-life?  Do you support free contraceptives so that abortions are not necessary?  Do you support universal health care so no one would die for lack of medical care?  Are you against the death penalty?  Are you against war?

Are you really pro life?  Or really pro- forced birthing and forced pregnancy?

I am for personal freedom, no tolerance for unwanted pregnancies, and protecting rape victims in this country from being forced to bear the children of their rapists.

I am pro: women, children, families, and freedom.  I am pro-choice because I believe in free will, which is at the very core of freedom.  I support free contraceptives and sex education because I believe that people should have more choices than just abortion.  Every child should be a wanted child because a wanted child is a loved child, and a loved child succeeds and flourishes.  I support universal health care so that no one would be denied the right to live because of the inability to pay for medical care.

Young people, especially young men, want to have sex.  A LOT OF SEX.  Imagine if every instance of sex resulted in a pregnancy.  It is especially important that our young people have access to education and family planning essentials.

A very high percentage of the unwanted pregnancies are among women and girls who have been denied sex education and contraception.  Abortion is a medical procedure. Like all medical interventions, I'd prefer that it wasn't used unnecessarily, but it needs to be available when it's required.

So what makes a human?

There is a question of what makes a human "human", and not an animal.  I do not consider a mass of cells, with the potential to become human, a human.  It is a potential, nothing more. 

What makes a human?  Sentience or even sapient thought?  An Operational Brain?  The ability to think, reason, and have abstract thought?  Or is it our humanity?  Those qualities that make us caring and loving? 

The point is, a human embryo or fetus is capable of none of these things. Therefore a human embryo or fetus is not a human.  However,  a human embryo or fetus does have the potential to become human.  I am against waisting potential, so I prefer education and contraception over abortion, but in no way should abortion be equated with murder.

Of course I know I am being unfair.  I am being rational, and we all know the abortion issue is an emotional one for many, and has nothing to do with rational thought.

I am pro-life across the board, that includes abortion, the death penalty, and euthanasia.  No, I don't support free contraceptives, people should have to pay for them.  I am only in favor of war as the last resort.  Rape victims becoming pregnant is so rare it is not worth discussion.  And it is ridiculous to call a pro-life stance forced pregnancy.  99.99999999% of the women that have sex do it voluntarily.  The fact that they must live with the consequences of that act and not commit murder is not forced pregnancy.  I guess girls that were not properly educated on this fact sometimes end up learning the hard way.

I am strong believer in free will, but I am sure you know there has to be limitations to that.  A woman has a right to her own body, but not at the expense of another's innocent life.  She made the choice what to do with her body when she spread her legs.  The right to life is our most basic right, and it comes above all the rights you mentioned.  Also, if a woman has a right to her own body, why is she not permitted by law to fill her body with heroine?  Why is she not permitted by law to sell her body as a prostitute?

We can discuss what makes a human "human" for hours.  We will just have to agree to disagree on that subject, but it is obvious I believe life takes place at conception.

I want to make it clear that I am not judging anyone that has had an abortion.  It is legal in most places, and I would never criticize anyone for exercising their legal right.  I know it is not a decision that women take lightly.  I have seen up close and personal how a woman can suffer from having an abortion and I do not want to ever make that suffering worse.  I just felt a need to come in on the side of life in this discussion.  Unborn babies can't type.  I hope it does not offend anyone.