Poll

Vote for your favourite story

The Gravel Road to Hell
1 (20%)
Lake Hiawatha
4 (80%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: December 29, 2021, 05:39:45 AM

Author Topic: November 2021 Contest Poll (RU contestants)  (Read 1184 times)

Offline Army of One

• Professor
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 119
November 2021 Contest Poll (RU contestants)
« on: December 08, 2021, 05:39:45 AM »
I'll start with the bad news: the KB voting will not be going ahead. Only one entry was listed, and it sadly has been disqualified for not meeting the word count. (I'm guessing something important came up, and thus they were unable to return to their entry.)

So, only the RU side will be voted on. The entries are:

In contrast to what I normally do, you'll get three weeks from the date of posting to read and vote; this is due to the length of the entries. Additionally, you'll only be allowed one vote, instead of the usual two. The secret voting, however, will still stand.

Good luck, everyone.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 12:39:06 AM by Army of One »
Extinguishing the Flame is available on Amazon and supports Australian Bush fire relief.

Offline SoftGameHunter

• Professor
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 518
  • That's me in the pic. I'm the tall one.
Re: November 2021 Contest Poll (RU contestants)
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2021, 11:33:22 PM »
May at least one of the best two entries be the winner!

Army of One, could you change the link on mine so it goes to page 1 and not page 2? Picking up on chapter 12 is not going to help anyone.  8)
The rumors about me are scurrilous, depraved rantings of a sick mind, and I categorically deny any sense of falsehood attributed to them.

Offline Army of One

• Professor
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 119
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2021, 12:40:05 AM »
Army of One, could you change the link on mine so it goes to page 1 and not page 2? Picking up on chapter 12 is not going to help anyone.  8)
Thanks for noting that; I didn't swing back to the first page after I completed the word count.
Extinguishing the Flame is available on Amazon and supports Australian Bush fire relief.

Offline SoftGameHunter

• Professor
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 518
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2021, 02:15:04 PM »
Well, I'm not rushing into anything, but this might be a contest of one pretty soon. As my entry is almost but not quite empty of under-18 characters, it may not be up for the length of the contest.
The rumors about me are scurrilous, depraved rantings of a sick mind, and I categorically deny any sense of falsehood attributed to them.

Offline Grumpy

• Undergrad
  • Merits 80
  • Enslavement of beauty is nature in action
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2021, 04:14:15 PM »
Guys... Holy shit! Like... You wrote complete fucking novels here.

I think you're both winners.

Actually ridiculous the amount of effort you put into this. Well done, both of you!

I haven't read them yet, but since you've put in an entire month's worth of writing, I will at least give you the courtesy of a read-through, I promise.

Offline Army of One

• Professor
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 119
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2021, 07:38:09 AM »
At this point, I'll definitely have to terminate the vote early, since due to the rule change, one story has been removed, and thus deemed ineligible. I'm going to need a mod ruling on the second entry before I deem this competition victorless.

Offline SoftGameHunter

• Professor
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 518
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2021, 11:21:11 AM »
At this point, I'll definitely have to terminate the vote early, since due to the rule change, one story has been removed, and thus deemed ineligible. I'm going to need a mod ruling on the second entry before I deem this competition victorless.

I've only read part of Lake Hiawatha so far. Perhaps the good lieutenant could tell us if there's any underage to watch for.

I removed my own, as a mod and as someone who doesn't want to see the site fried by small minds at the host. I dug the scalpel deep, partly in anger at the situation. But I have no intention of being so ruthless with anyone else, so if he tells us the story is clean, I'm not going to rush out and try to prove him wrong.

Offline LtBroccoli

• Undergrad
  • Merits 487
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2021, 08:07:52 PM »

I've only read part of Lake Hiawatha so far. Perhaps the good lieutenant could tell us if there's any underage to watch for.

I removed my own, as a mod and as someone who doesn't want to see the site fried by small minds at the host. I dug the scalpel deep, partly in anger at the situation. But I have no intention of being so ruthless with anyone else, so if he tells us the story is clean, I'm not going to rush out and try to prove him wrong.

That's a hard one to answer.  The plot of the story is about a detective and a gangster taking down a child sex trafficking ring.  Through the course of the investigation, they find tons of evidence and events that happen either in the background or off-camera.  Quick mentions of things that they're investigating but nothing to very little in descriptions.  If I were shooting this as a movie, those would shot around or implied but nothing happening on screen.  There are two events that occur with victims under 18 but I'm pretty sure the scenes themselves do not list specific ages.  The investigation takes place years after the events, and that can be hand-waved a little.

I'm fine with calling the contest a wash at this point.  Really pissed off because I've written what should be my masterpiece.  I busted out an entire television season in one month.  I wrote some of the best stuff of my life, telling a story that I've been thinking about ever since I accidentally named a character with the same last name as another character, then said 'oh shit, I can make this work'.  This contest finally gave the kick in the ass I needed to write this. 

And the stuff I'm working on that hasn't been posted, the UA stuff is implied or background.  There's two scenes where it's either background or the action cuts away before hand.  One scene involves our stalwart detectives called to a crime scene where a murder took place.  The killers raided the house, put a video of what he did "with the church", then proceeded to slice and dice the perpetrator.  In the other, a judge finds out the hard way why not to trust hookers sent over from a church running the largest UA sex trafficking ring on the east coast.  None of that needs to be seen on camera.
Always close the program you were running before exiting the holodeck