Author Topic: Bondage 101, lesson 1, how to tie knots  (Read 180501 times)

Offline Lois

• Dean
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 364
Bondage 101, lesson 1, how to tie knots
« on: December 05, 2007, 12:17:54 AM »
A list of animated knots.  Click on a knot name and see it performed step by step.  Fun stuff!

http://www.animatedknots.com/knotlist.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

* Albright Knot
    * Alpine Butterfly
    * Anchor Bend
    * Arbor Knot
    * Ashley Stopper Knot
    * Autoblock
    * Bachmann
    * Back Splice
    * Blake's Hitch
    * Blood Knot
    * Bowline
    * Bowline on a Bight
    * Bowline - One Handed
    * Bunny Ears
    * Buntline Hitch
    * Care and Cleaning
    * Carrick Bend
    * Child's Swing
    * Chain Sinnet
    * Chain Splice
    * Chain Stitch
    * Cleat Hitch
    * Clinch Knot (Improved)
    * Clove Hitch
    * Coil Attached Rope
    * Coil Unattached Rope
    * Constrictor
    * Cow Hitch
    * Crown
    * Crown Sinnet
    * Directional Figure Eight Loop
    * Double Fisherman's
    * Double Overhand Stopper Knot
    * Double Surgeon's Knot
    * Dropper Loop
    * Emergency Harness
    * Euro-Death Knot
    * Eye Splice
    * Feiggen Shoelace Knot
    * Figure Eight
    * Figure Eight Loop
    * Figure Eight Loop - Directional
    * Figure Eight Follow Through Loop
    * Figure Eight Double Loop Knot
    * Figure Eight Bend (Rope Join)
    * Figure Eight Flake (Smooth Payout)
    * Fisherman's Bend
    * Flemish Bend (Rope Join)
    * Flemish Flake (Spiral Coil)
    * Four-in-Hand Tie
    * Girth Hitch
    * Half Windsor Tie
    * Improved Clinch Knot
    * Klemheist
    * Lanyard Hitch
    * Lark's Head
    * Lineman's Knot
    * Lock for Shoelace Knot
    * Mainbrace, Splice The
    * Masthead Knot
    * Matthew Walker
    * Monkey Braid
    * Monkey's Fist
    * Munter Mule Combination
    * Nail Knot
    * Necktie, Four-in-Hand
    * Necktie, Half Windsor
    * Necktie, Windsor
    * Noose Knot
    * Overhand Knot
    * Overhand Knot Join
    * Palomar Knot
    * Parcel Knots
    * Perfection Loop
    * Prusik Knot
    * Rapala Knot
    * Reef Knot
    * Rolling Hitch
    * Rope Care and Cleaning
    * Round Turn & 2 Half Hitches
    * Sailor's Whipping
    * Sailmaker's Whipping
    * Sheepshank
    * Sheet Bend
    * Shoelace Knot
    * Shoelace Knot, Feiggen
    * Shoelace Lock Knot
    * Sinnet, Chain
    * Sinnet, Crown
    * Sliding Splice
    * Slip Knot
    * Snell Knot
    * Splice, Back
    * Splice, Chain
    * Splice, Eye
    * Splice, Sliding
    * Splice The Mainbrace
    * Square Knot
    * Stopper Knots
    * Strap Hitch
    * Surgeon's Join
    * Surgeon's Loop
    * Swing, Child's
    * Taut Line Hitch
    * Tensionless Hitch
    * Tie, Four-in-Hand
    * Tie, Half Windsor
    * Tie, Windsor
    * Timber Hitch
    * Trilene Knot
    * Triple Sliding Hitch
    * Truckers Hitch
    * Turk's Head
    * Uni Knot
    * Wall
    * Water Knot
    * West Country Whipping
    * Windsor Tie
    * Woggle
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 09:28:49 AM by Emily »
So much oppression in our culture is based on shame about sex: the oppression of women, of cultural minorities, oppression in the name of the (presumably asexual) family, oppression of sexual minorities. We are all oppressed. We have all been taught, one way or another, that our desires, our bodies, our sexualities, are shameful. What better way to defeat oppression than to get together in communities and celebrate the wonders of sex?
The Ethical Slut: A Guide to Infinite Sexual Possibilities

Offline Andering REDDSON

• Undergrad
  • Merits -7
  • I am not your friend. I am DISTRUBED.
Re: Bobdage 101, lesson 1, how to tie knots
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 01:24:52 AM »
Oh wow!
I am definitely sending a link to my buddies! Even though for purely work purposes!
First they came for the Communists, and I didn’t speak up, because I wasn’t a Communist.
Then they came for the Jews, and I didn’t speak up, because I wasn’t a Jew.
Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn’t speak up,  because I was a Protestant.

Then they came for me, and by that time there was no one  left to speak up for me.

Rev Martin NIEMOLLER, 1945

(That part about Catholics doesn’t apply to me, though- Guess they already got me.)

Offline Lois

• Dean
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 364
Re: Bondage 101, lesson 1, how to tie knots
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 09:29:43 AM »
LOL!  So they tell you.  I bet the boyscouts wished they'd found something like this.  Be prepared.
So much oppression in our culture is based on shame about sex: the oppression of women, of cultural minorities, oppression in the name of the (presumably asexual) family, oppression of sexual minorities. We are all oppressed. We have all been taught, one way or another, that our desires, our bodies, our sexualities, are shameful. What better way to defeat oppression than to get together in communities and celebrate the wonders of sex?

Offline KissyFace

• Masters Degree
  • Merits 204
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 10:14:18 PM »
Now Emily....do you really think the guys here needed that kind of help?  They're quite inventive on their own.  This is just going to cause a run on the hardware stores for rope. ;D >:D

Offline bondageman
  • Sophomore
  • Merits 17
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 05:04:36 PM »
Thank you Emily,

But I already know how to tie all the knots I need.

All I need is a (un)willing subject to practice on!

Any takers?

bondageman

Find this clip and many more in my movies,clips,links post!

Offline TheWhy
  • Freshman
  • Merits 2
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 01:37:37 PM »
Incredible list, and well done.  Thank you.

They are missing the quick release knot, one of my favorites for the 'furniture' end of the rope.

http://www.newrider.com/Starting_Out/Getting_Ready/quick_release_knot.html

Offline Lois

• Dean
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 364
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 08:12:55 PM »
Thank you Emily,

But I already know how to tie all the knots I need.

All I need is a (un)willing subject to practice on!

Any takers?

bondageman

If only you didnt live so far away!

Offline Lois

• Dean
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 364
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 01:08:33 AM »
I'm hoping Bondageman will come and teach the next lesson.

Offline bondageman
  • Sophomore
  • Merits 17
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 07:35:29 PM »
I'm hoping Bondageman will come and teach the next lesson.

tempting, but as you said you live too far away, and I prefer practical (doing) lessons than theory, mind you Kimmie is closer!?

Find this clip and many more in my movies,clips,links post!

Offline Lois

• Dean
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 364
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 10:19:03 PM »
Why not practice on the wife and show us?

Offline RopeFiend

• Dean
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 236
  • only a Dean for tech help
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 08:38:22 PM »
Maybe I oughta start classes... I know a few things about rope!  :emot_whistling.gif:

Prolly the first thing we all ought to learn: speed restraints.  There's two simple ones, the 'Texas Ranger handcuff' and the 'Mexican handcuff' knots.  You can use 'em on hands or feet equally well.

This one is what everyone calls the 'Texas Ranger handcuff', you can tie it in 3 seconds:

The problem with it is that it capsizes too easily, so if they struggle a lot they can probably get out of it.  You make the knot, then pull it down (it's a double slip-knot) and tie the ends in a double granny not.  Don't use a square knot to finish, as THEY also capsize and your whole handcuff could come apart.  Yep, ignore what you learned in Boy Scouts, 'cos sometimes granny knots DO work better!

I'm trying to find the photos I have of the 'Mexican Handcuff', which is a better knot but takes a couple of seconds more.  With practice, you can do either very quickly.  Here's another on YouTube that's very similar to the 'Texas Ranger'.  I hadn't seen it done quite like that, and it doesn't feel like it'll capsize as easily as the 'Texas Ranger' style does.

While I'm puttering around in the background, here's a link you REALLY need:
http://www.massachusettsbondage.com/tutorials/Tutorials.html
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 10:55:52 PM by RopeFiend »

Offline RopeFiend

• Dean
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 236
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 10:12:49 PM »
Found it!  Here's the 'Mexican Handcuff': http://kinkyropes.com/main/content/view/41/50/
or the same from another site: http://jackelfrink.com/tutorials/mexican-handcuff/

and the 'Texas Ranger Handcuff': http://www.drfatso.org/TecnicheSelf/nodomanetta.htm

another variation I'd forgotten about, not as fast: http://www.drfatso.org/TecnicheSelf/nodomanetta2.htm

I've used the Mexican handcuff before and it's very fast once you've practiced a bit.  It's a solid knot that they won't wiggle out of anytime soon.  All of these knots are slipknots, so you have to finish with a couple of granny knots to lock them.

Don't let the list at the beginning of this thread scare ya... most of those knots aren't appropriate for bondage.  You really only need 4 or 5 to get the job done.  A good handcuff knot, a single-limb cuff or two,  the bowline (variants used in several of the cuff knots), a square and sheer lashing (for arm to leg or leg to leg) and a granny knot.  Most of the knots at the top are special-purpose and don't serve much of a purpose in bondage unless you're into erotic macrame.  In fact if you look closely at Japanese bondage, a lot of it isn't knotted, they just tuck the ends under.  Kinbaku-bi is art, and not as heavy on the restraint side.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 10:52:31 PM by RopeFiend »

Offline RopeFiend

• Dean
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 236
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 01:19:43 AM »
Here's a cuff knot I had to invent when none of the others would work.  I picked up some REALLY soft slick rope that felt like silk... and it wouldn't hold a knot worth a damn.  All of the standard single-limb cuff knots just fell apart with this rope, but I liked the feel and wanted to keep it for milder  bondage sessions.

The end result is a cuff that you can scale from a couple up to 6 or 8 'cuff turns', which helps spread the force in the event your subbie struggles.  Unlike most of the other cuff knots, the 'cuff turns' (the loops around the wrist or ankle) are free-floating in the knot, and they'll self-adjust for maximum comfort.  Nearly all other cuff knots will have one or more turns that are tighter than the rest, which is uncomfortable after a while.

And it works with the slickest rope I could find!

I'll post some of the more common cuff knots later, but figured I'd start with my own creation. :D  It's based on the bowline, so here's a pictorial:

Offline Lois

• Dean
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 364
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008, 04:29:44 AM »
Thanks, i need to practice these.  Then i can teach them!

Offline RopeFiend

• Dean
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 236
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 11:24:16 AM »
Don't get all hung up on the knots... that's what scares off a lot of people.  You don't need to know but a small handful to get the job done! 

Having said that, here's a couple of RARs with all of the knot e-books I've found.  The first is the Ashley Book of Knots, one of the best references that everyone refers to.  It doesn't list every knot in the world, but it's got damned near all of 'em.  The second RAR is only 16meg, and has an assortment of other e-books.  You don't really need the second one, it's just there 'cos I had it.

[hide]edit Jan 2009: both links are dead... PM me if you want me to re-up them![/hide]

The Ashley book is a photo scan with a PDF index (bookmarks), but it's not searchable 'cos they didn't OCR the text.  I have another copy that *was* OCR'd, but the lower image quality on the knots made it hard to see what was going on.  Of the several copies I have, this one is the best.  One of these days I need to go through it and expand the bookmarks to include all of the knot names within the sections to make it quicker to search... so many projects, so little time.

Here's what's in the second RAR:

fm5-125 Rigging Techniques.pdf
Handbook of Knots and Splices - Charles Gibson.pdf
Mastering the Art of Knots and Splices.pdf
Stagecraft Manual rev06.pdf
Surgical_Encyclopedia_of_Knots.pdf
The Klutz Book of Knots.pdf
US Army - Rappelling TC21-24.pdf
Knots, Splices and Rope Work (HTML).zip
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 11:55:27 PM by RopeFiend »