Author Topic: November 2021 Contest: "KBRU Novel Writing Month"  (Read 2303 times)

Offline Army of One

• Professor
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 119
November 2021 Contest: "KBRU Novel Writing Month"
« on: October 25, 2021, 07:45:41 AM »
Voting has now commenced.

General Contest Rules:
  • All stories submitted between 12:00am November 1, 2021 UTC and 11:59pm November 30, 2021 UTC that fit the topic criteria will be accepted.
  • Stories can be submitted to any of the story writing boards (this excludes the Roleplay boards); non-English stories will need an English translation linked to them, which must also be in the relevant story section, in order to be accepted.
  • Stories must be started in the month stated, and listed here for submission before month's end.

I'm gonna be fair to you guys again, I'll give you a little prep time with this. Given the topic, I think you'll agree.

So this contest is a free writing contest. So any content. The main catch: minimum 50,000 words.

Oh, and another one: both Kristen's Board and Ravishment University are undertaking the same contest.

Why did I choose this? Well, November is NaNoWriMo, and we have a lot of talented writers on both sites. So I figured this'd be a perfect time for both to show off their skills, by writing a novel.

Now, I am a fair man. 50,000 words is hard to do; that's 1667 words per day to type. So, I'll let you put it up in parts, and you can link your potential entry in this thread.

Now, as a result of the extraordinary circumstances of the contest, there will be a few rules that both sites must abide by:
  • The story must be at least 50,000 words in length.
  • All characters must be at least 13 years of age and have at least commenced puberty. (This is due to KB's own general story content rules.)
  • Stories may be submitted in parts; however all parts must be in the one thread, and must be timestamped between the times given at the top, including all edits.
  • Please only submit your entry to one site. I'll link the KB version of the contest thread in the FAQ below.

When it comes to voting, each site will cast votes for each site in separate threads. As per usual, when voting starts, you'll have fourteen days to cast your votes. Winners will be determined by the combined votes from both sites.

You have between the times stated at the top to write and submit below. Again, to keep things clean here, any questions you have can be PM'd to me, and I will put answers in the next post below.

Happy writing, everyone.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 05:51:24 AM by Army of One »
Extinguishing the Flame is available on Amazon and supports Australian Bush fire relief.

Offline Army of One

• Professor
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 119
Re: November 2021 Contest: "KBRU Novel Writing Month"
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 07:51:42 AM »
Where can I find the KB entries for the contest?

KB's contest thread can be found here. Entries will be listed in that thread.

I don't think I'll make the word count by the deadline. What can I do?

If you've already put your entry on here, and you realise you won't be able to make cutoff, just edit your entry post stating your withdrawal.

How complete does the story have to be to qualify?

Once you reach 50,000 words, then your story will be considered complete for the purposes of this competition (although, obviously, it pays to not keep sentences dangling).

How will voting be done?

• At the close of writing time, I'll take all entries that have been submitted and not later withdrawn, and put them through a word counter. This'll take at least a day, so you'll be able to get some reading time in during that time. Any entries that don't meet the 50,000 word cutoff will be disqualified from the vote.
  • All remaining entries will be put to vote (if applicable). Voting will be directly proportional to the number of entries (current estimated rate is one week per entry).
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 06:10:09 PM by Army of One »
Extinguishing the Flame is available on Amazon and supports Australian Bush fire relief.

Offline mintjulie

• Dean
  • Freshman
  • Merits 0
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 08:08:21 AM »
Good luck to all of the RU authors.  You're going to need it, the KB writers are bringing it.

;),
Jules
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 12:49:48 PM by mintjulie »

Offline LtBroccoli

• Undergrad
  • Merits 487
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2021, 11:03:34 PM »
Good luck to all of the RU authors.  You're going to need it, the KB writers are bringing it.

;),
Jules

Thanks Jules. 

Computer, begin new holoprogram.
Always close the program you were running before exiting the holodeck

Offline 90lbsofdynamite

• Masters Degree
  • Merits 353
    • Official website for Millie Dynamite
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2021, 11:50:27 AM »
Can't participate, just know my heart is with RU writers on this. While I will write in excess of 50,000 words this month, they will be on my stories (about 20,000 words) and split between my ghostwriting assignments, about 30,000 for each of them (maybe more).

For NaNoWriMo you have until the midnight (can't remember the time zone, maybe your own) November 30th. For here, it's whatever it says.
Just 90 lbs of Dynamite Big Bada Boom!!

Offline SoftGameHunter

• Professor
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 507
  • That's me in the pic. I'm the tall one.
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2021, 08:53:45 AM »
I'll get started. The prologue and first chapter of The Gravel Road to Hell are up. I'll post subsequent chapters in the coming weeks, all in that same thread as a courtesy to readers and pollsters.
The rumors about me are scurrilous, depraved rantings of a sick mind, and I categorically deny any sense of falsehood attributed to them.

Offline SoftGameHunter

• Professor
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 507
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2021, 08:52:12 AM »
My view count seems to be leveling off, but that could be just lurkers falling away. I hope the so-far two entries can get some readers.
The rumors about me are scurrilous, depraved rantings of a sick mind, and I categorically deny any sense of falsehood attributed to them.

Offline EnabranTain

• Undergrad
  • Merits 130
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2021, 04:32:47 PM »
I expect most of my reading will be done once the entry deadline is passed. In the meantime I’m doing my best to crank out 50,000 words before the cutoff while also preparing for the holidays!
No one bad is ever truly bad, and no one good is ever truly good.
-Loki

More of my stories can be found at
AO3KB, or RU

Offline SoftGameHunter

• Professor
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 507
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2021, 06:17:06 PM »
Anyone who can crank out that much in a month has my respect. For full disclosure, most of mine was done, just never posted. This month's contest gave me the push to get it over the line.

Offline LtBroccoli

• Undergrad
  • Merits 487
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2021, 10:07:03 PM »
I'm pounding away at Lake Hiawatha, the story that ties together the entire Harbor City Universe.  Just did a word check, 20k since the beginning of the month.  It's 91 pages so far in Final Draft.  I just finished outlining almost the whole story and am on pace to finish by the end of the month.

Unless December is a very short contest, I think I'm taking that month off.

Offline SoftGameHunter

• Professor
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 507
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2021, 10:41:51 AM »
If anyone is waiting for it to end, my entry is now fully posted. Don't read too fast or you'll sprain your eyes tripping over the plot holes. But it is done.

Offline 90lbsofdynamite

• Masters Degree
  • Merits 353
    • Official website for Millie Dynamite
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2021, 11:15:34 AM »
If people wait for all the entries to posted before beginning to read 50,000 word stories, the 14 days is going to be a big issues if there are more than a couple of entries. NaNoWriMo is only a contest against yourself to see if you are up to the challenge. When add the level of competing against one another, voters reading all entries before they vote, I just don't see how fourteen days is enough with real life intruding on everyone.

Just my humble opinion and not worth the butter it takes to spread on bread!

Good luck all.
Just 90 lbs of Dynamite Big Bada Boom!!

Offline SoftGameHunter

• Professor
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 507
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2021, 11:13:34 PM »
If people wait for all the entries to posted before beginning to read 50,000 word stories, the 14 days is going to be a big issues if there are more than a couple of entries. NaNoWriMo is only a contest against yourself to see if you are up to the challenge. When add the level of competing against one another, voters reading all entries before they vote, I just don't see how fourteen days is enough with real life intruding on everyone.

Good luck all.

Butter is a valued commodity throughout history.

I think this is a very valid point. Perhaps a month for this one would be a good plan. I'm behind on the reading, and I only have to do half of them (so far). So far it's two, but that might change.

Offline LtBroccoli

• Undergrad
  • Merits 487
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2021, 10:40:50 PM »

Good luck all.

Butter is a valued commodity throughout history.

I think this is a very valid point. Perhaps a month for this one would be a good plan. I'm behind on the reading, and I only have to do half of them (so far). So far it's two, but that might change.

I agree with y'all on this.  I haven't read a single story yet this month.  All my time has been spent trying to finish my story.  I won't have time to finish it off by the deadline unless I focus only on that.

Good news is I'm long enough now, but still have a good portion left.  I've set a deadline of Sunday to finish and start editing.

Offline EnabranTain

• Undergrad
  • Merits 130
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2021, 08:36:24 PM »
It's really looking there's no way I can finish mine in time. With Thanksgiving prep and work, there's just not enough free hours to write. But it's gotten me to get a good start on a story I could probably use later. I look forward to reading the stories of those who do finish!
No one bad is ever truly bad, and no one good is ever truly good.
-Loki

More of my stories can be found at
AO3KB, or RU