Author Topic: Who watches the watchmen?  (Read 431 times)

Offline Badman

• Senior
  • Merits 22
Who watches the watchmen?
« on: January 17, 2023, 01:34:07 AM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-64293158

Who watches the watchmen? The fact that he got away with this for so long means there must have been some sort of protection or turning of a blind eye at least by some of his colleauges.
No doubt they'll all quietly slope off to other departments or retire early on health grounds with full pensions.

There needs to be a public enquiry in the disitrict where every single person in the station (or stations) where he worked over this period is brought before a committee under oath.
It's not good enough to just offer apologies and say lessons have been learned. Every single one of them to account for their action or inaction in this case.

And in terms of justice and detterence, assuming this guy never gets out of jail (which he shouldn't), every single penny of his pension, his property and posessions should be seized and used to pay compensation to his victims. If he gets out, he can go get a job. 

“And if people can see themselves for who they really are, they will know that every person has a dark side!~ Aarush Kashyap”

Offline EnabranTain

• Undergrad
  • Merits 130
Re: Who watches the watchmen?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2023, 10:42:12 AM »
I'd say I was surprised, but sadly this kind of thing is all too common. I agree that more emphasis needs to be put on who was doing these background checks and vetting where he was cleared. Either some gross incompetence was happening, they were turning a blind a eye, or (what I suspect might be the case) the standards for what was considered acceptable were loose enough to let him by.
No one bad is ever truly bad, and no one good is ever truly good.
-Loki

More of my stories can be found at
AO3KB, or RU