Author Topic: Bad Movie Night  (Read 1057 times)

SheerHose33
Bad Movie Night
« on: December 09, 2020, 09:00:08 AM »
Back in the day the girls and I used to get wine and we’d pick a bad film to watch
Usually it was more fun than watching a serious flick.
Something I really want to do again.

So in this open thread let’s start a trend of bad movies, so bad that they are good for unintentional comedy, or just plain awful
I’ll start with this one.

The original Wicker Man is in my opinion a masterpiece. It’s intelligent, a gripping story, excellent cinematic atmosphere and an awesome performance by non other than the great Christopher Lee. It is the definitive British Horror Movie and even today sends chills down my spine at some of its scenes.

Then we got this. A remake, in 2006 featuring Nicolas Cage who was still quite significant then.
Ignoring reviews we watched it and I was hopeful it would take a modern American twist on a much loved movie.
Alas it was awful, and from making little sense in places Nicholas Cage himself looked like he didn’t give a F&ck about it.
From plot holes in every sequence, to under/over acting, it took everything away from what made the original great.

This scene speaks for itself. Now a meme

carhamgrater
Re: Bad Movie Night
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 10:09:40 AM »
To me this was done as a way for Cage to get a paycheck and nothing else

Now as a lover of things pulp i couldn't wait for "John Carter" to be released, a minute in and i wished god would strike me down, even now when this play (thank god not to often)  I still pray to either go blind or a power failure!

darklord
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 07:11:02 AM »
Ginger. Sex exploitation films that are so hilariously bad they should be considered comedy.

Tony V.
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2020, 07:14:44 AM »
I would like to nominate "An American Werewolf in Paris."

Not even Julie Delpy topless could save this laughably awful stinker.......

Tony V.                  :police:

Offline vile8r

• Masters Degree
  • Merits 1101
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2020, 04:45:16 PM »
Speaking of Nicholas Cage, another piece of crap he was involved in was Ghost Rider 2 : Spirit of Vengeance.  I loved the first Ghost Rider movie with Eva Mendes in it and Peter Fonda as Mephistopheles, and Sam Elliot as the narrator. I remembered the old Ghost Rider comic books and I thought it was cool they were doing a Ghost Rider movie. They did a pretty decent job of it too, so I thought.

Then came Ghost Rider 2, which seemed to have NO connection whatsoever to the first movie. Was it supposed to be a sequel? Well it didn't seem to be. NONE of the characters of the first movie were even in it, except of course for Johnny Blaze, aka Ghost Rider. It was mostly a cast of unknowns and European actors, none of whom I knew, except for Idris Elba and Christopher Lambert, and of course Nic Cage.

It was a low-budget bit of bird-droppings trying to capitalize on the Marvel Comics movie fad at the time. Stan Lee was an executive producer and I cannot imagine WHY he would even want his name associated with such a piece of shat! The director was a fellow by the name of Mark Neveldine, who also directed Crank and its sequel Crank: High Voltage starring Jason Statham. Those were two high-action movies that I loved! But he really shit the bed with Ghost Rider 2!

To top it all off....I actually went to a theatre and spent good money to see this! I want my money back, along with the two hours out of my life forever lost, and the brain cells that were killed while watching it.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 04:49:18 PM by vile8r »
I could rape your pussy, but I'd be in and out in a few minutes. So I choose to rape your mind, and I'll be inside you forever!

SheerHose33
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2021, 04:37:28 AM »
It’s another time for Bad Movie Night and this one is a cracker

Jaws 4: The Revenge.

I think Jaws 3D could also qualify for this list but it was later outdone by this abomination. Starring non other than Micheal Caine, who seemed like he regretted this movie from his first appearance in it.

The story was ridiculous, featuring a revenge seeking. (Roaring) shark on its quest to hunt down the Brodie family.
The effects seemed to get worse with the progress of technology.
The editing was even worse with the shark blowing up before it was hit.

All in all If you want entertainment to poke fun at  and a text book example of how not to make a dangerous predator/horror movie then go no further than this.
Unfortunately because of my age I saw this before Jaws 1 and I was never afraid of the water afterwards

Offline vile8r

• Masters Degree
  • Merits 1101
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2021, 09:13:38 PM »
I don't recall if I ever saw this one. I know I saw I, II, and III.  Jaws III was very laughable, and I think the only reason my friends and I watched it was because it was 3D and we wanted to see what it would be like.  It was a horrid movie, compared to the other 2. I will always love the first Jaws movie. I am old enough to remember when it came out, and I read the novel by Peter Benchley. It was good!   

#3 and 4 should have never been made but just another example of Hollywood beating a dead horse and dragging a franchise through the mud to try and make more money off it.  And I'm sure Michael Caine DIDN'T enjoy making it and if he was smart, I hope he fired his agent afterward! 
I could rape your pussy, but I'd be in and out in a few minutes. So I choose to rape your mind, and I'll be inside you forever!

SheerHose33
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2021, 05:44:42 AM »
Oh Watch it Vile! You’ll get a laugh out if it if anything lol

Tony V.
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2021, 07:23:59 AM »
I was a teen when. "Jaws" came out. I had read Peter Benchley's amazing book, and after hearing about people fainting and vomiting in the theatre, Me and My brothers went and saw it.....

And I was amazed!! Taut, well paced and now among My favorite movies of ALL time, Jaws was simply magnificent!!! I watch it every time it is on!!!

Tony V.                    :police:

Offline vile8r

• Masters Degree
  • Merits 1101
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2021, 11:00:15 PM »
I was a teen when. "Jaws" came out. I had read Peter Benchley's amazing book, and after hearing about people fainting and vomiting in the theatre, Me and My brothers went and saw it.....

And I was amazed!! Taut, well paced and now among My favorite movies of ALL time, Jaws was simply magnificent!!! I watch it every time it is on!!!

Tony V.                    :police:

Twas the movie that made a name for Steven Spielberg! Wasn't his first movie, but certainly became his first blockbuster. And I'm glad it was. I read in an interview one time, Steven Spielberg said it was such a challenging movie to make and at point he got so disillusioned and frustrated that he almost gave up on it, and if it hadn't done well at the theatres he said he would have considered quitting directing.

SheerHose33
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2021, 11:46:37 AM »
The book was amazing too. Really regret not reading that first and then the movie.

I think Jaws was a hard film to make and apart from Richard Dreyfus  burnt out of it as usual they had a lot of problems with the robotic Shark, which kept it out of action and sight much longer than intended. Still they only added suspense

Jaws 2 was a watchable though they were certainly looking at a younger teenage audience.

Jaws 3D was terrible, but can see why it was a box office hit due to the gimmick

Jaws 4, was the nail in the coffin for the franchise. So bad, but enjoyable for that reason!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 09:46:23 AM by Jessica_33 »

Offline vile8r

• Masters Degree
  • Merits 1101
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2021, 09:58:43 PM »
After seeing what he accomplished with the first Jaws movie, I am sure Steven Spielberg was appalled to see what they did with the later movies in that franchise. Thank God, he had nothing to do with those ones!

SheerHose33
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2021, 10:06:18 AM »
So keeping on these sort of survival movies with creatures
We”ll go to another franchise spat on by terrible dialogue, zero development  and just a lousy premise in general.

Jurassic Park is one of my favorite movies of all time. It was a very big deal when it came out and it’s an experience I got to enjoy at the age of 7 with my dad and sister when it finally arrived in my local cinema.
I was scared, happy, sad, and relieved all from the edge of my seat and then going out getting the merchandise afterwards only added to it. Great days and great movie. Later on I read the book and that was a masterpiece in itself.

Then we had JP The Lost World and once again I saw in the cinema. Great effects again and a fairly decent plot line until the dinosaur romped around San Diego.
It was good, not great, certainly not the original but watchable

Then we got JP3
This one had no Spielberg directing, nor did it have any book source material and it showed. Gone were the intelligent aspects of the franchise, the depth about the human god complex enigma and replaced with just a slasher/suspense heavy on predictability. Rushed and void of any character development. The only character you care about is Dr Grant who was back for this and looked more less interested as it went on. It was just a rushed race to the finish and would have served as a better video game than a feature long movie. The CGI was questionable too and the general feel of the movie couldn’t have been any different to the first.

Yes the Spinosaurus was a cool monster on screen but it offered little explanation as to why it wasn’t in the first movie or where it went. It was just there to try and wow tired fans and instead angered many.

Jurassic Park  was a hit but nothing compared to the first in which spawned the “last word” in Dino movies.
The franchise has picked up again with the Jurassic World Trilogy which has brought back a little of what was experienced as a child in 1993 to new audiences.

Watch Jurassic Park 3 but don’t expect to return to it or take it too seriously.
I’m a huge Jurassic Park fan so of course I don’t like Jurassic Park 3 lol!

« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 10:11:23 AM by Jessica_33 »

Offline vile8r

• Masters Degree
  • Merits 1101
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2021, 11:32:15 AM »
I loved the first Jurassic movie too, and still do! I also saw it when it first came out in theatres in '93 and was blown away by it. I took my 14 year old niece and she liked it too although she told me the T-Rex was likely going to give her nightmares, lol.

I also read the Michael Crichton novel, but I had read it first before I saw the movie.  LOVED the novel, and there was so much in the book, I knew they'd never be able to put it all into a 2 hour movie. Now you mention that in JP3, there is no book source material, but I think you're mistaken.

They took elements from the book in all three of the first trilogy. In the book there is a part about them being in the aviary where the pterodactyls live and that shows up in JP3. And (now my memory might serve me wrong) in JP3 isn't there the scene where they're hiding in the waterfall and the T-Rex is sniffing for them? That scene is also in the book. Or is that scene in Lost World? I can't remember now.

But overall your assessment of the Jurassic franchise pretty well matches mine as well. JP3 was a lot of gratuitous garbage and whereas in the first movie the scenes with the T-Rex seemed to have some purpose of moving the plot, in JP3, the scene with the spinosaurus had no purpose but for shock and horror and just to make the characters run around and scream. No explanation as to where he came from or anything. He was just stuck in.