ravishu.com
October 22, 2020, 11:47:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ravishment U. - where Rape is nothing more than "Assault with a Friendly Weapon"
A quote by DrDiscrete - Junior at RU

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Writing Tropes and Stereotypes in Erotic Writing  (Read 193 times)
vile8r
Masters Degree

Merits 451

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2020, 12:50:50 AM »

I agree, small towns, especially what you call Prairie small towns, get a bad rap. I won't got into it, not now, but I know that most people in those small communities are far more accepting than people in big cities. One reason, there are just so many more chances to run into rotten people in the big cities. 

Yes we do! I grew up around small Canadian prairie towns and actually still live on the prairies. Some of the tropes however, aren't that far off, LOL! But yes, overall, I DO find people not as unaccepting as people in larger centres.   I, myself, like the redneck yokel trope, and I've used it a fair bit in stories. But I'm always looking more at the Southern type of redneck.  The ones from the Deep South of the US and other rural areas.  It is certainly a stereotype, and sometimes not a very flattering one, and I don't mean to paint all Southerners with that brush. I know there are some very good people from those areas too, and not all are beer-swilling tobacco-chewing unsophisticated oafs.

But unfortunately, a lot of them don't do themselves any favors when you see the idiot things they do and say in the media. i.e, the Florida Man stories you see in the news. It unfairly perpetuates an image that people in this part of the world are a bunch of simpleton idiots. That's not accurate of course, but like I say, for some of these people, they are their own worst enemies.

I could rape your pussy, but I'd be in and out in a few minutes. So I choose to rape your mind, and I'll be inside you forever!
Sara.W
Sophomore

Merits 8

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2020, 06:04:35 AM »

Ugh....   I understand that...  I know I've put my foot in my mouth more than a couple of times at work recently...  we are our worst enemy.  Coincidently, at a V-coffee Zoom meeting, a bunch of people at work were chatting about the Florida man reddit - hadn't realized it was a thing...
LtBroccoli
Senior

Merits 34

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2020, 11:01:51 PM »

Ugh....   I understand that...  I know I've put my foot in my mouth more than a couple of times at work recently...  we are our worst enemy.  Coincidently, at a V-coffee Zoom meeting, a bunch of people at work were chatting about the Florida man reddit - hadn't realized it was a thing...

Florida Man is like some crazy super hero.  By state law, every crime that gets reported to the police has to be mentioned in the paper.  Not just the big ones like murder or attempted regicide, but the little and crazy ones.  That's how you end up with things like "Florida Man rides lawnmower naked on interstate" or "Florida Man throws alligator through Wendy's Drive Thru window."  I want to write a story about how Florida Man is actually some kind of superhero who does these things in the process of stopping his villains.  He needed to ride the lawnmower on the interstate naked because Jaxson Ville threw acid at him and clothes melted, and being that he was just at the Lawnmower Races, he hopped on the best riding mower he could find.  But the cops stopped Florida Man after he caught Jaxson Ville.  Being a vigilante has it's costs.

Going a little bit back on topic, I found that the city folk are more accepting of different people.  Part of the reason is that they have to interact with everyone.  On a typical day, I could run into a thousand people of every shape, size, color, and creed.  My hometown of 30,000 had 'the black family', the 'Jewish families', and the 'Asians'.  And a lot of racist terms for them.  All of the racist terms I've used in my stories, I learned growing up in WhiteyWhiteville.  Back then it was a rare occasion to see black person or an immigrant, or a gay person.  Living in the city I had a roommate that was all three.

I grew up in a small town, moved to even smaller towns, and didn't feel welcome anywhere until I moved to the city in my 20's.  If you were even slightly different the small town people just didn't like you.  Or if you had the wrong friends or went to the wrong church, or didn't laugh at the right jokes, there was something wrong with you.  It could be that I was around a bunch of assholes and also had the social skills of reading people until my twenties that would rate just slightly below a toaster, but even later in life I've never felt comfortable in a small town.  Especially the last time I went back to my hometown.  The last four trips there I had complete white strangers feel comfortable enough around my white ass to drop the n-word, hard r, multiple times.

I think part of the bad rap for cities is that people conflate curtness for rudeness and ambivalence for disgust.  There's an old joke I heard a while back:
If you step out on your front porch to get the mail naked and no one sees you, you're in the country.
If you step out on your front porch to get the mail naked and your neighbor sees you and complains or calls the cops, you're in the suburbs.
If you step out on your front porch to get the mail naked and your neighbor sees you and doesn't give a shit, you're in the city.

Always close the program you were running before exiting the holodeck
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: