Author Topic: Mirror World  (Read 5384 times)

Offline babyfyrefly

• Undergrad
  • Merits 38
  • 起死回生
Re: Mirror World
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2020, 02:38:47 AM »
Chapter 19: Will You Smile Again For Me?

"Hey, Barry!" I smiled cheerily. "I got you a coffee on my way over. Just the way you like it, super-duper sweet!"

He stood in his doorway like a ghost, eyes cast down and to the side. He had not looked me in the eyes since that night three months before. Officer Fenley was no more - he had quit the force the next day. "Thanks. You didn't have to," he mumbled. He walked away, leaving the door open so I could enter.

"So, what are you up to today?" I followed him into the living room, where he plopped down despondently on the couch. His sweatpants had orange cheese puff streaks and grease stains from fried foods. The room smelled like gym socks and days old food. Stacks of take-out boxes littered the coffee table kitchen counters. It had been a couple of weeks since my last visit. From the dark circles under his eyes, I suspected that he had not slept in days. I knew I should have come to visit you sooner. I shouldn't have used work as an excuse. I promise to do better.

"Why are you here?" Barry asked.

I grabbed a discarded grocery bag and started shoving empty food boxes in it. "Checking on you. Looks like this place needs a little tidying - I've got you." I cast him another friendly smile and went to the kitchen to get a couple garbage bags.

"I don't understand. I…I should be helping you. Why are you…when I…" Tears shuddered and threatened to fall. I stopped in my tracks.

"I've told you, don't you dare think like that! That. Was. Not. You." He was glaring at his hands. I kneeled down in front of him and clasped his hands firmly so he could not pull away. "It was not you. I know that. You know that." He was trembling. "It was not you. It was not you. You are not that monster."

I wanted to hug him, to hold him tightly and protect him from the world and from his own demons. But I knew. I knew that I could never protect him. It was already too late for that.

I held his hands until the days of restlessness caught up to him. I pulled his lime green throw blanket up to his chin. It was the only time he looked peaceful. I gently stroked his scraggly, tear-stained cheek. "I'm so sorry you got pulled into all of this insanity," I whispered.

After I cleaned his house, I stacked fresh clothes and a towel on the coffee table in front of him. I hoped it would encourage him to take a shower. I thought about it for a moment, and also left a note:

It's okay to take care of yourself.
"Oh, I will be alright, just use me...the future's bright without me..."
-AFI

Offline babyfyrefly

• Undergrad
  • Merits 38
  • 起死回生
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2020, 03:54:18 AM »
Chapter 20: Paths Diverge

"Ah, Miss Harper," Dr. Adrian chortled. "I'm delighted to see you! Forgive me, I wasn't actually expecting you to come. Police officers are some of my least reliable clients."

"Um, okay?" I said, shaking her hand and sitting nervously on the lounge chair. There was a glass of water and a pitcher on the table between us. The psychiatrist's small office was exactly as I had imagined it - bright, minimalistic, and immaculate. No family photos. Of course not, she did not want to endanger her family by inadvertently introducing them to dangerous patients. Nothing to indicate interests or hobbies. Don't want anyone showing up at a favorite fishing spot or reading bench. Smart woman. I admired her a little already.

"Well, police officers seem to be a bit more resistant to the idea of someone poking around in their heads," Dr. Adrian explained. A stab in my gut. Fenley. "Usually, they make an appointment with the intent of seeking help, but they talk themselves out of it. Don't want to burden others with their problems, I suspect."

I shrugged. "I guess I can see that. Honestly, I wasn't sure I wanted to come."

"I'm glad you did."

An awkward silence. There were no curiosities to fix my gaze on, so I looked at my hands. My fingers that were rubbing and twisting around each other like anxious snakes.

"So, what brings you in?" Dr. Adrian asked gently.

What brings me in? The question echoed in my mind. I could not tell her the truth. She would code thirteen me. Refer me for emergency mental health observation, that is. No, maybe some version of the truth that would seem more logical? I would have to be careful not to give her any names. I knew that she would be required to report rape.

Just pull the band-aid off.

"I was raped." As I choked out the words, Dr. Adrian's kind smile faded into solemnness. She slowly nodded her head. I'm not sure that anyone had been so direct with her before. "Someone I know was forced to rape me. There was nothing he could do to stop it."

Dr. Adrian struggled to hide her shock. She was quiet for a long moment. A large, dry lump formed in my throat. No matter how much water I sipped, I could not get it to go away. My psychiatrist's silence made my anxiety lash around, out of control. What is she thinking? Does she think I'm lying? Is she trying to figure out who it might be? Would she tell anyone if she figures it out?

"What are you feeling?" she asked slowly.

"I feel…I feel terrible for him."

"Why is that?"

"Because it's my fault he was there. It's my fault he was made to…" I took another desperate sip of water, to distract myself from the tears pooling in my eyelids. "It's destroyed him. He doesn't take care of himself anymore. He won't look me in the eye. I feel like the monster that made him rape me is winning. I'm losing my friend to the monster, and I can't stop it. It wasn't his fault, why can't he see that? Why is he punishing himself? When I see him, he's just…he's not there anymore. I miss him. I miss his innocent smile and…and…"

"What about you?" Dr. Adrian inquired.

"Me?" I tried to wipe the tears aside without being obvious.

"How are you handling it?"

"I'm fine."

"Are you? Or are you focusing on your friend's pain, so that you don't have to face your own?"

"I…I don't know." I closed my eyes and thought about her question. "I suppose I have been. I'm just so worried about him. I feel like he's giving up."

"And if he gives up, are you worried that you will give up too?"

The tears burst forth, beyond my control. My whole body quaked as the emotions all released at once. It was true. I was scared that if Barry surrendered to the hopelessness, so too would I. I was afraid of looking down into that terrible abyss, alone. Afraid of reliving that moment at every touch, every heavy sigh. Alone.

"You know, you are not responsible for his pain. You are not responsible for his healing. You are only responsible for your own healing," Dr. Adrian said pointedly. "It's okay to try to help your friend. But it's also okay to take care of yourself first."

I smiled through the tears. Somehow, I had already known that. I just needed to hear the words.
-AFI

Offline babyfyrefly

• Undergrad
  • Merits 38
  • 起死回生
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2020, 04:33:22 AM »
To be continued...
-AFI

carhamgrater
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2020, 06:19:40 AM »
I hope this will be continued! Just think of what Amos is capable of! The ability to strike through any mirror lead to more open pathways for the story to go, like Having him manifest in the Doctor to play with her mind during an appointment.

http://ravishu.com/forums/index.php?topic=42202.0

http://ravishu.com/forums/index.php?topic=42205.msg387964#new

Offline babyfyrefly

• Undergrad
  • Merits 38
  • 起死回生
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2020, 11:52:47 AM »
So...I kinda want to ask, before I continue...

When I wrote the outline for this story, I wasn't really sure how I was going to flesh it out. The rape scene was just kinda a checkmark on the road map. Now that it's played out (I have the full scene written, but I'm holding it back for flashbacks), I am a bit worried that I went a little beyond what I was working toward. I mean, Amos ended very overpowered...freaking god level. How do you fight someone like that, right? (Don't worry....I've got that covered. There's already seeds planted for that.)

My biggest concern is Barry Fenley. I might have done irreversible damage that I can't walk back. Is it possible for a person to overcome something like that? I've been through some pretty traumatic things in my life, but i wonder if there's a limit to what any person can endure. Is there a way he can survive this?

I just need another perspective on this, but please don't be upset if I don't write it into the story.
-AFI

carhamgrater
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2020, 12:25:52 PM »
Have you thought about making him the ultimate one to destroy Amos (Strikes the actual killing blow while Jasmine distracts Amos), redeeming himself in his eyes for what he was forced to do! Of course you can always take the ploy that Barry learned from Michael and managed to get Mirror gates to open for him to leave her presence forever! Or the cliche, he sacrifices himself saving Jasmine from a trap/death!

Offline babyfyrefly

• Undergrad
  • Merits 38
  • 起死回生
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2020, 12:49:39 PM »
Well, the thoughts I've heard have made me feel better about my outline. I was worried that moving him forward after that event would not be believable. But it seems that I don't need to change anything, which is great!

Thank you, everyone who threw in their two cents! I really appreciate it!
-AFI

Offline babyfyrefly

• Undergrad
  • Merits 38
  • 起死回生
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2020, 07:26:49 PM »
Thanks for the advice, carhamgrater!

This concludes Mirror World.

The adventure continues in Mirror World II
-AFI

carhamgrater
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2020, 08:36:14 PM »
The future readers will thank you for that!

Offline babyfyrefly

• Undergrad
  • Merits 38
  • 起死回生
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2021, 06:04:20 PM »
I will be leaving the work I've done here, but I am reworking Mirror World on Wattpad. If anyone expresses any interest here, I will post a link to it once I'm "settled in", so to speak.
-AFI

Offline To-Get-Her

• Masters Degree
  • Merits 687
  • But would you really want her?
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2021, 06:30:09 PM »
I for on really hope you do, this was one story that drew me to this site!
When I get around to it, I'll write

Offline babyfyrefly

• Undergrad
  • Merits 38
  • 起死回生
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2021, 06:32:26 PM »
I for on really hope you do, this was one story that drew me to this site!

Thank you so much! I take that as a very high compliment indeed!
-AFI

Offline babyfyrefly

• Undergrad
  • Merits 38
  • 起死回生
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2021, 11:00:24 PM »
Alrighty! 

I'm at a point where I'm going to start making bigger changes to the story. I liked it the way it was when I wrote it, but now it just doesn't sit right with me. I want to shape it into something a bit different, lead it down a different path. For the better, I hope.

If you would like to see where this goes, check out Mirror World on WattPad, under my pseudonym Revy Morningstar.

Or, if you're a little more trusting, follow the link.
https://www.wattpad.com/story/288340007?utm_source=android&utm_medium=link&utm_content=story_info&wp_page=story_details_button&wp_uname=Revy_Morningstar&wp_originator=zB0oxJ%2F0kPK8Kj119cPr7Kbl5bAFK4aiJv1sFAQfnutoAADNLCPNyWSM1XBepxk0gCHRxf4zh7cAy2GT9PX9qw715Wy6AKlNB9aJKh2ZUGjUhTdntTcRZcMFZO4V173%2B
-AFI

Offline To-Get-Her

• Masters Degree
  • Merits 687
  • But would you really want her?
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2021, 01:21:55 PM »
Added, now just have to block off time to read it! Really looking forwards to reading how you have enhanced it!
When I get around to it, I'll write

Offline babyfyrefly

• Undergrad
  • Merits 38
  • 起死回生
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2022, 06:56:58 PM »
I actually have time to work on it again! I've gone back and re-written a good bit, and added two new chapters since my last login. Hope it's getting better!
-AFI