Author Topic: Announcing: The RavishU Monthly Story Contest - Inaugural Event  (Read 2023 times)

Offline SoftGameHunter

• Professor
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 516
  • That's me in the pic. I'm the tall one.
Hello everyone on RU. Many of you know me here; I'm the guy that posts story after story after story. I like stories. And I've also recently had the honor of being promoted to moderator. Like any newly promoted executive, I had an immediate desire to make changes via pet projects, so here we go.

Starting at the beginning of July, I'm going to run the RavishU story contest. Hopefully it will become a cherished monthly event. In July, I'll post a few polls in which any registered RU member can vote for the best story of the past month in a few different categories. The winners would then have links to their stories posted in a special sub-thread that's updated each month. So any story posted in June would be automatically entered into the contest. Note: I am restricting this to stories started in June. There are a lot of long, multi-part stories on our board that are added to now and then. If we tried to include them all, we'd have many dozens. As it is, June has produced 31 potential entries as of this morning, and with a week left in the month.

Also, in keeping with the ravishment theme of the site, and considering limitations of the moderator, we'll only use stories posted in the following sub-categories: Gang Rape, One on One, Mixed Groupings, Supernatural Rape, Gay Male Rape, Lesbian Action!, Women Raping Men, EXTREME stories, BDSM Stories.

What I'd love to hear now are suggestions and feedback about the details. For instance, I was thinking of the following categories:

• Best Overall: Perhaps this one could have two winners. Sometimes it is hard to narrow down just one best. I think I can set polls to allow two votes each.
  • Literary Excellence: Plot, character development, emotional context, etc are key here. Which stories could be taught in Creative Kink 101 at the local college?
  • Super-Fap: For the stories that get hot and intense quickly. The winner will be that one story that made you hurry to get your underwear off.
  • Best Mind-Fuck: Which story really poured it on with dark mental states, heavy and harsh events, and just plain made you go 'Holy fuck!'.
  • Cleverest: For stories with tricks, turns, or that just make us go 'huh!'. Maybe also for Sci-Fi, Fantasy, or other genres that add some of the fantastic to the tale.

Now these are categories I came up with off the top of my head. But they're not set in stone. That's why I'm hoping for feedback. Post a reply letting me know if you'd like a different category, or have an issue with one of these. Obviously I can't guarantee to please everybody, especially if there are conflicting requests, but I would like to know what everyone thinks.

Another featured category I'm going to include is Best Story by a New Author. All of the stories in this category will be among the stories offered for the above categories, but this one will be limited to a 'new author'. I'm thinking that a new author should be defined as someone who has posted their first story on RU at some point in the past 3 or 4 months. Originally I was going to say the last 1 month, the same range as for the story contest. But that seems very limiting. We would have only a handful to pick from, and some fairly new authors here have been making great efforts to work their craft, but started a little over a month ago. So I'm thinking that although only stories posted within the month of June will be included, any author whose first story was posted in the past 3 or 4 months would be eligible. Will it be 3 or be 4 months? I haven't decided. Opinions? So all of you would-be authors who want to write something someday maybe when it's perfect, now you have an incentive to start typing.

The most important thing is that this be fun for everyone. I don't want this becoming cutthroat. There is no prize money here, just a special link and a congrats by the RU team. So let me know your thoughts, and then get ready to vote for the stories you really like.

SoftGameHunter
The rumors about me are scurrilous, depraved rantings of a sick mind, and I categorically deny any sense of falsehood attributed to them.

darklord
Re: Announcing: The RavishU Monthly Story Contest - Inaugural Event
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 06:36:49 PM »
This is a fantastic idea, and long overdue. I would not add one thing. I think you covered it well and very thorough.  I hope they have WIFI at the resort or I will have to catch up when I get back.

Congrats on being moderator too.  Well deserved .

Offline SoftGameHunter

• Professor
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 516
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 06:55:51 PM »
This is a fantastic idea, and long overdue. I would not add one thing. I think you covered it well and very thorough.  I hope they have WIFI at the resort or I will have to catch up when I get back.

Congrats on being moderator too.  Well deserved .
Well it won't start until July, when all the stories are available. So probably next weekend.
The rumors about me are scurrilous, depraved rantings of a sick mind, and I categorically deny any sense of falsehood attributed to them.

darklord
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 07:10:59 PM »
That is when I will be gone, but they may have WIFI. I will back on Sunday anyway, so I will catch up.

Offline SoftGameHunter

• Professor
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 516
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 05:54:59 PM »
I'd like to add now that I'm really pleased with how many new writers I've identified. Assuming a new writer is someone whose first story here was in the last three months (June, May, April), we have ten writers who have contributed for June, including some who've been here a while but only recently began story-writing. I anticipate some fun reads for the new-writer story category.

darklord
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 06:55:24 PM »
I'd like to add now that I'm really pleased with how many new writers I've identified. Assuming a new writer is someone whose first story here was in the last three months (June, May, April), we have ten writers who have contributed for June, including some who've been here a while but only recently began story-writing. I anticipate some fun reads for the new-writer story category.

I agree.  We have seen quite a few new and promising writers.  This should be a great contest.

Offline vile8r

• Masters Degree
  • Merits 1094
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 11:39:51 PM »
I think this will be fun!
I could rape your pussy, but I'd be in and out in a few minutes. So I choose to rape your mind, and I'll be inside you forever!

Offline SoftGameHunter

• Professor
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 516
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 11:45:34 PM »

I think so. And there are still four more days to get stories into contention for June. Well, four days one hour and fifteen minutes!

darklord
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 09:51:46 AM »

I think so. And there are still four more days to get stories into contention for June. Well, four days one hour and fifteen minutes!

The race is on..lol

Offline SoftGameHunter

• Professor
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 516
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 04:24:47 PM »
Hey everyone, we're down to the home stretch. Just two days, eight hours, forty-five minutes to go. Still time to get new stories posted.

Right now we stand at 34 eligible stories from 20 authors, including 10 new authors. There's no upper limit per writer, so if you've got something else, feel free to share it.

Right now we've got lots of gang rape (11) and one on one (7), but decreasing numbers of others: extreme (6), gay male (5), lesbian (3),  and supernatural (2). No one has women raping men, mixed groupings, or BDSM covered, so those groups are wide open if you want to get a sole representative story in.

darklord
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2017, 09:13:58 PM »
Hey everyone, we're down to the home stretch. Just two days, eight hours, forty-five minutes to go. Still time to get new stories posted.

Right now we stand at 34 eligible stories from 20 authors, including 10 new authors. There's no upper limit per writer, so if you've got something else, feel free to share it.

Right now we've got lots of gang rape (11) and one on one (7), but decreasing numbers of others: extreme (6), gay male (5), lesbian (3),  and supernatural (2). No one has women raping men, mixed groupings, or BDSM covered, so those groups are wide open if you want to get a sole representative story in.

Getting ready to post a new lesbian one here in a bit. Finishing it up now.  This sounds awesome.

Offline SoftGameHunter

• Professor
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 516
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2017, 10:28:32 PM »
I realize I never asked for feedback on how long the contest will remain open. I'm thinking either one or two weeks. Probably two. That gives everyone ample time to read as many extra stories as they feel like, and hopefully ensures that lots of members will cast votes. Thus, the winners will be announced in mid-July, and again at the middle of each subsequent month.

I also think the polls should be blind, with totals remaining unseen until it ends. But I'm willing to entertain arguments for making the results visible to anyone, or to those who have voted already. (I'm assuming I can set all of these options. I haven't started a poll in years.)

Opinions?

darklord
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2017, 10:36:18 PM »
I agree, the polls should not reflect the winners until they are actually announced.  That is a good deal.

Offline SoftGameHunter

• Professor
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 516
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2017, 09:43:50 AM »
Once again, asking for feedback, which most of you are shy about giving, but that's your call.

I've been thinking about which boards to include. So far I've excluded the non-English stories from the contest simply because most of us can't read them. I myself might get the gist of a German story, but the rest may as well by hieroglyphics. I think that's a safe call. But I've also excluded poety and the consensual/sensual boards. Does everyone, or anyone, agree with that distinction? My main goal was staying on ravishment themes while keeping the numbers manageable, but there are perfectly decent stories there too. Adding them would introduce another eleven stories to a list that's already at 35.

Too much?

Chime in if you'd like to comment.

And two more days to go!

Offline Skygazer

• Senior
  • Merits 19
  • taraskysong@gmail.com
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2017, 09:47:22 AM »
I think your suggestions have all been on point. Again I think this site should have had something similar fir a while
Life is love, love is life