Author Topic: Muslim Security Guards suing Amazon for no prayer rooms  (Read 413 times)

darklord
Muslim Security Guards suing Amazon for no prayer rooms
« on: April 22, 2017, 09:45:14 PM »
On the surface I have no problem with Muslims being allowed to practice their faith which requires daily prayers as I understand it.   So these security guards are actually supplied by a sub contractor and not employed by Amazon directly.   Amazon does allow its salaried employees to use a conference room for prayers.

By law, companies are required to give their employees working 8 hour shifts two ten minute breaks and a one hour lunch.   Muslims require 5 prayers daily, each lasting ten minutes, that is an extra 50 minutes that the company must pay the employee for.  It is also time that the security guards are not on duty, unless they alternate positions.

I may be amiss, but let's say Christians demand an extra hour a day to read the bible on company time and get paid for it, they would be laughed out of the place.  The bible commands them to study and pray daily.   What is the difference in that and the Quran demanding prayers for Muslims?

Then we would have to allow Hindus time to meditate, and the list goes on and on.   As I say, I respect their religion and their rights, but what is wrong with praying on authorized breaks and lunches and not demanding special treatment just because you are a Muslim?

Just my two cents worth and I am sure there will be many who disagree with me. 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/15dd0d13-9abe-3381-9641-bfd2843bb6da/ss_outraged-muslims-to-rally.html

Offline SoftGameHunter

• Professor
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 517
  • That's me in the pic. I'm the tall one.
Re: Muslim Security Guards suing Amazon for no prayer rooms
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 10:49:12 PM »
Well I'm not disagreeing. These employees are demanding special treatment; no other term exists to describe demanding the same pay for less work, and on their own schedule to boot. And they're not even suing their own employer, they're suing their employer's client. The article I read (probably the same one) said that when some of these people shifted to formal Amazon jobs, their situation got vastly better.

These are just greedy shits trying to cash in on what they hope is a busted system that won't call them on it.
The rumors about me are scurrilous, depraved rantings of a sick mind, and I categorically deny any sense of falsehood attributed to them.

Offline Lord_Horror

• Sophomore
  • Merits 3
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 10:26:27 AM »
On the surface I have no problem with Muslims being allowed to practice their faith which requires daily prayers as I understand it.   So these security guards are actually supplied by a sub contractor and not employed by Amazon directly.   Amazon does allow its salaried employees to use a conference room for prayers.

By law, companies are required to give their employees working 8 hour shifts two ten minute breaks and a one hour lunch.   Muslims require 5 prayers daily, each lasting ten minutes, that is an extra 50 minutes that the company must pay the employee for.  It is also time that the security guards are not on duty, unless they alternate positions.

I may be amiss, but let's say Christians demand an extra hour a day to read the bible on company time and get paid for it, they would be laughed out of the place.  The bible commands them to study and pray daily.   What is the difference in that and the Quran demanding prayers for Muslims?

Then we would have to allow Hindus time to meditate, and the list goes on and on.   As I say, I respect their religion and their rights, but what is wrong with praying on authorized breaks and lunches and not demanding special treatment just because you are a Muslim?

Just my two cents worth and I am sure there will be many who disagree with me. 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/15dd0d13-9abe-3381-9641-bfd2843bb6da/ss_outraged-muslims-to-rally.html

It is my opinion that religion is a personal topic and is better left out of virtually every other aspect of society.

Separate religion from employment, schools, and government affairs.

In the case of this Amazon lawsuit, it makes sense to me that if Amazon is paying an individual to conduct themselves a certain way while on the clock and employees find the arrangement disagreeable, then the burden is on the individual to discontinue employment and seek out a career more sympathetic to their religious practices.

In other words, it's not an employer's responsibility to cater to the religious fetishes of its employees.

Of course, my attitude is widely considered unpopular in a society that favors victimhood and martyrdom over personal responsibility. Rather than change their own lives and make a practical effort to adapt, 95% of people would rather complain about persecution and spin their wheels trying to change the world around them.

Thus, I doubt my idealized world will ever become much more than a fantasy.

darklord
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 11:57:06 AM »
I could not agree with you more.  Well said.

Offline Ishtar

• Junior
  • Merits 96
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 02:33:21 PM »
Unless those security guards are always working 24-hour shifts, they only need two 10-minute breaks and even that is flexible. As long as the prayer is being done that day, the timing -- save for morning and evening prayers, which are done at sunup and night -- can be varied because the Qur'an acknowledges that people have to work and sometimes just praying is not feasible. So the two breaks and lunch are just fine for that.

The suit is less about having the time to pray and more about Amazon changing its policies so that contracted employees can also use the conference room to take 10 minutes to pray. Which most companies allow for Christians as well. And Hindus are given the same treatment -- they just don't use it because poojas don't need to be done in the middle of the day -- they are sunup and sundown, the same as fajr and ishah.

darklord
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 03:29:00 PM »
Perhaps I misread that then. I would have no problem with contracted people using the conference room, but it seemed to me that they were seeking a little more than that.