Author Topic: Actress Evan Rachel Wood talks openly about being raped twice in her life.  (Read 652 times)

KgC120
I took note of this story because I have become an avid fan of HBO's Westworld Series. I have even seen the thread here on RU under movies and TV that discuss how enjoyable the series has been to watch for some RU members.

Ms. Wood is being praised for speaking out and continuing to lift the stigma surrounding the victims of rape most notable is "they brought it on themselves" or "it's no big deal". She wrote a letter regarding her story that was partially published in Rolling Stone Magazine. She then posted a link to the full letter on her Twitter account. She indicated that coming forth with her story was partially due to the results of the presidential election and the potentially catastrophic fallout that could come from the President-Elect's comments and views regarding women and the Vice President-Elect's fanatical vow to reverse reproductive rights and options for women.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2016/11/30/westworld-actress-evan-rachel-wood-says-she-was-raped-i-am-strong-but-i-am-still-not-ok/?utm_term=.16b30d9d510a

I applaud her. As a fan of the Westworld series, I wonder how she deals with the scenes in the cable series that depict and allude to the idea of the character she plays being repeatedly raped.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 02:47:04 AM by KgC120 »

Offline skuttrusk

• Undergrad
  • Merits 143
Re: Actress Evan Rachel Wood talks openly about being raped twice in her life.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 07:56:27 AM »
She's made the point that the show never actually shows the act of rape. But I kind of hope it starts doing so next season. It would be really hot watching her get pretend-raped, knowing she's thinking about the time it happened for real... (Of course, I feel bad for her that it happened for real. But I still get turned on thinking about it.)

Offline Ararria

• Junior
  • Merits 18
  • We are the sum of our errors
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 10:20:07 AM »
I applaud her for her courage. I cannot imagine the difficulty of speaking so openly. The shame, guilt, and stigma are all very real. I hope some listen to her message.

darklord
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 03:53:39 PM »
I think this is where the trained professional puts aside their personal feelings to get into character so to speak.  I read her interview and was highly impressed with it.  She seems like one actress who clearly has her head on straight.