Author Topic: The Stanford Rape Case - Brock Turner  (Read 796 times)

Offline SubmissivePrincess

• Sophomore
  • Merits 10
The Stanford Rape Case - Brock Turner
« on: September 04, 2016, 06:08:57 PM »
There are a lot of mixed feelings about the Stanford Rape case with Brock Turner.   I personally feel that if someone is not capable of saying yes or no, with sound mind and body-- it is wrong to have your way with them.   And even if you did make a bad judgement by going out and getting drunk, a rapist should still go to jail.

BUT I have brought up this discussion with several men.   One particular man's response (a coworker of mine) really caught my attention and I wanted to get other people's opinions on his statement.  Here is what he had to say (I actually recorded him, but I won't put the recording here, I just typed all his words up).  I wonder how many people there are out there who share his opinion:

"The Stanford case...   That's not rape.   The girl got drunk and snuck out back with that guy.  And here is something nobody wants to talk about.  Something that makes me think that girl is full of SHIT and she's just embarrassed because she was cheating on her boyfriend when she was drunk:  She is saying she is a RAPE VICTIM and Brock sexually assaulted her while she was passed out.  First of all, sticking your fingers in, that's not rape.  That's just fingering.  Unwanted fingering.  But still, just fingering.   Second, stop and ask yourself how she ended up outside alone with this guy, behind a dumpster?  Seriously, how did that happen?   Ok, so in the very end, she passed out.  But again, how did she get out there alone with him?  She is claiming that he drug her off out there when he saw her drunk.   Oh, ok.  Right.   How's that?   If that girl didn't pass out on the floor inside the dorm, in front of everyone in the middle of the party...  If the whole party didn't see Brock drag her limp body out of the room, down the hall and out the door-- then the only way she could have ended up out there alone with him, is if she WALKED out of the building with him, and even walked back behind the dumpster with him-- willingly.  So...   Just think about that for a minute.   Forget being politically correct.  Forget everything in the media.   And THINK about how she got there.  When you do that, you will suddenly realize that she is not as innocent, or as loyal to her boyfriend as she claims to be.  Yeah, ok, maybe she passed out later and Brock just kept on doing what he was doing...   But she still went out there with him. I think she knows that. I think that when 2 people are slobbering drunk and fooling around, they don't think about the fact that a dumpster is not romantic.  They're just going wherever its dark, and nobody's around, so they can be alone.  So unfortunately once she gets there, she passes out and Brock just keeps going.   Then she wakes up all dirty with a police officer TELLING HER she was raped-- and that freaked her out.   But I think she was just so terrified of losing her boyfriend, that in the end, she decided t go along with the whole rape thing.  But you know what?  If you're gonna get drunk with horny guys and go off alone with them, if you're gonna be stupid like that, then don't complain about what happens to you.  Anyone over the age for puberty, knows that when you get drunk with a horny guy, there's a 98% chance he's gonna be trying to fuck you.  Now she's a grown woman.  She's not 4 years old.  She's not even a virgin.  She knows all this soooooooo well.  Everybody knows this.  So why are we all acting so shocked that a horny guy tried to fuck a girl, when they are both drunk?"

Thoughts?
Oww...   You're hurting me.

Offline Nyx

• Professor
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 86
Re: The Stanford Rape Case - Brock Turner
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 09:16:25 PM »
Honestly, I had the same thought. I kept asking how the fuck she got out there. I'm drunk at the moment so that's about as cohesive as my thoughts are for right now. I'll get back to this later.

Offline Kif

• Junior
  • Merits 28
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 11:30:28 PM »

I know nothing about this case and I don't take the quote as gospel.  Just in general, once the girl passes out... that's "no" to civilized men.  When and where she passed out doesn't matter.  OK, slutty maybe for getting drunk at a party and going outside with a guy, but slutty and unconscious doesn't mean "fuck me."
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you take your pants off and dance around a little?" - Lt. Kif Kroker

Offline waltermitty

• Sophomore
  • Merits 3
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 08:32:39 AM »
Your coworker is an asshole. He is engaging in some classic victim-blaming here -- basically saying that, because a young woman got drunk at a party, she got what was coming to her. He's also both legally and factually wrong about fingering not counting as rape. He penetrated her vagina with part of his body without her consent.

One the one hand, I'm uncomfortable with the idea that, say, a guy and girl could wake up next to each other, neither one remembering how they got there because they were so drunk, and in some jurisdictions the guy could potentially be brought up on charges for taking advantage of a girl when she was too drunk to consent. I also don't care for the way social media and the press have made Brock Turner into Public Enemy Number One and vilified the judge who, in his view, was trying his best to apply the law fairly. (I actually think he was right to consider the defendant's drunkenness and youth as mitigating factors.)

On the other, the above hypothetical situation isn't what happened here. The public facts are that Brock Turner is a college jock dirtbag who tried to fuck a passed-out girl behind a dumpster whom he'd only just met. Sure he was shitfaced, but the fact that he got up and ran when a couple of bystanders saw him shows that he was still aware enough to know what he was doing was wrong. Rich white male privilege definitely played a role is his light sentence. Maybe it's not fair that he is the focus of national outrage over rape culture, but the outrage itself is legitimate. There are way more outrageous campus-rape stories out there, but I guess this one was just perfect for our moment.

Offline Brokenwing

• Professor
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 231
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 11:34:02 AM »
Your coworker is an asshole. He is engaging in some classic victim-blaming here -- basically saying that, because a young woman got drunk at a party, she got what was coming to her. He's also both legally and factually wrong about fingering not counting as rape. He penetrated her vagina with part of his body without her consent.

One the one hand, I'm uncomfortable with the idea that, say, a guy and girl could wake up next to each other, neither one remembering how they got there because they were so drunk, and in some jurisdictions the guy could potentially be brought up on charges for taking advantage of a girl when she was too drunk to consent. I also don't care for the way social media and the press have made Brock Turner into Public Enemy Number One and vilified the judge who, in his view, was trying his best to apply the law fairly. (I actually think he was right to consider the defendant's drunkenness and youth as mitigating factors.)

On the other, the above hypothetical situation isn't what happened here. The public facts are that Brock Turner is a college jock dirtbag who tried to fuck a passed-out girl behind a dumpster whom he'd only just met. Sure he was shitfaced, but the fact that he got up and ran when a couple of bystanders saw him shows that he was still aware enough to know what he was doing was wrong. Rich white male privilege definitely played a role is his light sentence. Maybe it's not fair that he is the focus of national outrage over rape culture, but the outrage itself is legitimate. There are way more outrageous campus-rape stories out there, but I guess this one was just perfect for our moment.

Props Waltermitty and let's not forget how pleasant it is for the rape victim to have her life put under a microscope by the defense, trying to demonstrate EVERY detail of her sex history, having her friends, family and acquaintances interviewed turning her life upside down trying to prove she's a slut.  Plus being questioned by the police, investigators the district attorney's office and defense counsel. 

SubmissivePrincess maybe you should ask your coworker to write down his entire sexual history, every girl he has slept with and fooled around with and then take what he wrote and share it with his friends, family and acquaintances including coworkers and see how easy he thinks it is to have EVERY sexual detail of his life shared with LOTS of people.  Once you have what he wrote, have two more friends read what he wrote, then ask him hundreds of questions probing for more detail not even just about his current relationship but each and every person he has ever kissed, touched or had any sexual relations with.

If anyone is dumb enough to think that going through our court system as a rape victim all the way to trial just to show their significant other that they didn't cheat they are living under a rock.

Its understandable that our court system is supposed to protect the innocent but serving three months for what Mr. Turner did is a joke compared to what his victim went through.  I highly doubt her relationship even lasted with the boyfriend.  Who is going to stick around while multiple investigators go through your girlfriend's sex life with a fine tooth comb.

And let's not forget the psychological impact of being violated.

Maybe there have been a few false allogations of sexual assault but even in those I bet the false accuser regretted what making that allegation did to her life.
Just a moment to post a reply to an authors story makes it worth the hours of writing and editing the story.

Offline drakan

• Junior
  • Merits 4
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 11:44:54 AM »
SubmissivePrincess maybe you should ask your coworker to write down his entire sexual history, every girl he has slept with and fooled around with and then take what he wrote and share it with his friends, family and acquaintances including coworkers and see how easy he thinks it is to have EVERY sexual detail of his life shared with LOTS of people.  Once you have what he wrote, have two more friends read what he wrote, then ask him hundreds of questions probing for more detail not even just about his current relationship but each and every person he has ever kissed, touched or had any sexual relations with.

I think he would gladly do it, and brag about it too, poissibly offering contact information of every woman he's slept with, that's part of the famous double standard: our society says women should be ashamed of having a sexual history, but men should be proud of it.

Offline Evelika

• Freshman
  • Merits 4
  • Good girl with very shameful, secret thoughts.
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 10:30:20 AM »
lol. Your friend is adorbs. Not much food for thought there, I'm afraid...

I doubt he'd get much out of this letter from the drunken slut, herself (well, doubt he'd read it all the way through), but it might help him clarify what it is he's trying to discuss:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/katiejmbaker/heres-the-powerful-letter-the-stanford-victim-read-to-her-ra?utm_term=.jc5654Mvp9#.ajEoWlGZK1