Author Topic: waited two years to file rape charge?  (Read 995 times)

darklord
waited two years to file rape charge?
« on: August 27, 2015, 09:05:24 AM »
I had no idea that the statue of limitations for a rape charge in California is 6 years.  She waited two. I can understand to some degree

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2555977-derrick-rose-reportedly-sued-accussed-of-raping-ex-girlfriend?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Offline kaitlin86

• Graduate
  • Merits 21
Re: waited two years to file rape charge?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 12:19:08 PM »
Well she's sueing not filing criminal charges so beside something like fines there aren't going to be legal reprocussions of any kind if the judge finds in her favor. Unfortunately it makes complete sense to me why she didn't persue charges and even waited this long to sue. First, besides simply wanting to forget it ever happened, she probably thought she had little to no chance in a criminal case given his money and power and secondly there would be the social fallout of accusing a sports figure and celebrity of rape. The legal process, especially in a criminal case, and the she would've been dragged into the spotlight and attacked, blamed, and stigmatized could've been horroric.
God made me a cannibal to fix problems like you

Offline object_teen

• Freshman
  • Merits 6
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 01:04:14 PM »
Most likely a money grab. I wonder what evidence she has other than just her word vs his.

Offline losvu_fan
  • Graduate
  • Merits 11
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 01:35:25 PM »
Sometimes I feel like telling the accusers, they should just buy a gun and shoot to kill their rapist or it never happened like in the case of Bill Cosby, I probably won't believe any of his accusers until one of them guns Bill down. Same with this one, bitch go kill him, if he really did what you say.

Offline PenitentGirl

• Junior
  • Merits 19
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 04:53:19 PM »
I never filed charges at all so just 2 years seems pretty fine to me.

darklord
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 07:52:36 PM »
I never filed charges at all so just 2 years seems pretty fine to me.

You were raped?? how horrible.

Offline firelover
  • Senior
  • Merits -4
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 10:56:19 PM »
Very unlikely this results in a conviction. "Beyond Reasonable Doubt" is a tough standard.

Offline Eljorn

• Dean
  • Senior
  • Merits 43
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 11:14:47 PM »
This isn't a criminal case.  This is a civil trial in that she's suing him.

In a civil trial the standard is a 'preponderance of evidence', not 'beyond a reasonable doubt'.  This is a *much* lower bar to hurdle.

Remember, the Goldman's won their civil lawsuit against OJ after he was found not guilty in the criminal trial.
--
Eljorn

Offline PenitentGirl

• Junior
  • Merits 19
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 07:40:04 AM »
On a 1-100 scale of certainty with 1 being never happened and 100 being absolute certitude, preponderance of evidence would be 51 and beyond all reasonable doubt maybe 98.