Author Topic: The new chat  (Read 15136 times)

Offline zokah

• Masters Degree
  • Merits 92
The new chat
« on: June 08, 2014, 10:52:16 PM »
We have got a new chat working.
It is hosted on a public server so it's not as secure as previously. If you are going to be a regular visitor then I highly recommend that you register your nickname.
This not only stops others impersonating you but without it you will not be able to open a private chat. Be sure to use a password that you can remember because you will need to log-in each visit
When you have joined the chat just enter this:

/msg NickServ REGISTER password email address

It must be a working email because validation is required, they send a code.

Once you are in it's a little different to the old chat. I hope this will explain it.

Any questions about it feel free to PM me or see me in chat and I'll try to answer them.
There are many other channels available on the server, so I guess you can also explore at your own risk.

For IRC clients it is irc.rizon.net #RavishU

« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 05:30:49 AM by zokah »
If you choose to put your penis into a hornets nest be prepared to accept the consequences
We are legion
We do not forgive
We do not forget

Offline Lois

• Dean
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 364
Re: The new chat
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 11:47:20 AM »
You also won't be able to see who else is in chat without going there.  Sorry folks, but that is one of the limitations we must accept.

Our new chat is based on IRC.  IRC has lots of features, including the ability to send messages in chat to another that no one else can see.  Here is an excellent tutorial that explains some of these features:

http://irchelp.org/irchelp/irctutorial.html

Note that the chat window uses IRC light, so all features may not be active.  But I'd like to hear which ones are!  Please post here if you discover some of them don't work.

And more helpful advice is here:  http://www.ircbeginner.com/ircinfo/tutorials.html
So much oppression in our culture is based on shame about sex: the oppression of women, of cultural minorities, oppression in the name of the (presumably asexual) family, oppression of sexual minorities. We are all oppressed. We have all been taught, one way or another, that our desires, our bodies, our sexualities, are shameful. What better way to defeat oppression than to get together in communities and celebrate the wonders of sex?
The Ethical Slut: A Guide to Infinite Sexual Possibilities

Offline zokah

• Masters Degree
  • Merits 92
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 07:35:09 PM »
If you prefer you can also connect using any IRC client. I won't go into any details but those familiar with IRC can use it

server: irc.rizon.net
channel: #RavishU
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 08:10:49 PM by zokah »
If you choose to put your penis into a hornets nest be prepared to accept the consequences
We are legion
We do not forgive
We do not forget

Offline Lois

• Dean
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 364
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 08:38:03 PM »
Once I pretended to be someone else in IRC chat.  Oh, I never used the person's name, nor did I ever say I ever say I was this person.  I logged in and used the nick "Guest###" that I was assigned when logging in.  Then I started typing stupid phrases like the guy I was pretending to be always did when he was drunk.  Hi favorite thing to say was "All women are stupid".  It was not long before everyone assumed I was the person I was pretending to be.  It was great fun!
So much oppression in our culture is based on shame about sex: the oppression of women, of cultural minorities, oppression in the name of the (presumably asexual) family, oppression of sexual minorities. We are all oppressed. We have all been taught, one way or another, that our desires, our bodies, our sexualities, are shameful. What better way to defeat oppression than to get together in communities and celebrate the wonders of sex?

Jed
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 09:02:53 PM »
Couldn't have been as bad as last night when zokah (or was that you) pretended to be someone else.....
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 09:44:10 PM by Jed »

Offline zokah

• Masters Degree
  • Merits 92
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 09:24:54 PM »
Some people are asking about connecting to the chat via their phones.
I'm not sure if using the browser is the best option. I've had a look and found a Android IRC client:

http://www.androirc.com/

Once it is installed just use the IRC info to connect.

server: irc.rizon.net
channel: #RavishU

this might help, it shows how to set everything up

« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 08:11:15 PM by zokah »
We are legion
We do not forgive
We do not forget

Offline zokah

• Masters Degree
  • Merits 92
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 02:44:03 AM »
Some people are having issues once they register a nickname on the chat server.
For regular users of the chat I recommend the use of a IRC client to overcome the problem.

Icechat is freeware and easy to use. It can be customized for individuals.

Installing the program just do as usual and open it.

Here is what you need to do so it will connect directly to the channel. Copy all the text exactly as shown in the set up wizard with the exception of your nickname and password.

click to enlarge instructions for Icechat v7

click to enlarge instructions for the latest version of Icechat

It is then up to you to decide if you might want to connect to other servers that are preloaded. I deleted all of them because I know where I want to connect. It can be interesting to look at what else is on offer in various chatrooms available.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 05:05:59 AM by zokah »
We are legion
We do not forgive
We do not forget

Offline lateiadel

• Senior
  • Merits 7
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 06:47:32 PM »
I can't get into chat anymore. I'm getting a message about flash policy. My policy is if you want a man flash him.

Offline zokah

• Masters Degree
  • Merits 92
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 11:20:47 PM »
There has been some issues with the server. It's nothing to do with your flash.
A bit of persistence is needed. Last time I checked via the browser it took about 4 minutes to connect.
We are legion
We do not forgive
We do not forget

Offline Maryanna
  • Junior
  • Merits 5
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 11:45:52 AM »
I, too, cannot nter the chat. I always get this message: No ident response. Username prefixed with ~. Any idea why that happens and what i can do to avoid it?

Offline Lois

• Dean
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 364
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 02:25:38 PM »
Yes, you just have to wait.  It takes a while sometimes.

Offline Plaything
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 776
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 10:26:31 AM »
It really does take awhile . . .but if you wait it out, then you'll be able to chat . . .

Offline zokah

• Masters Degree
  • Merits 92
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2015, 05:26:22 AM »
I have now moved the chat to a different irc server. I hope this will fix the issues we have had

for those that do use a IRC client to connect the new server is: irc.rizon.net the usual IRC ports will work, I'm using port 6667

Nickname registration is still the same format, but it is not needed to PM on this server. The only advantage to it for most will be that nobody else can impersonate you

We are legion
We do not forgive
We do not forget

Offline Lois

• Dean
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 364
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2015, 07:48:14 PM »
It loads so much faster!

Thank you Zokah!

Offline zokah

• Masters Degree
  • Merits 92
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2015, 03:17:54 PM »
Our chat hosts have disabled Flash due to a unpatched exploit that has now been included in a exploitation kit popular with script kiddies.

I am looking for a workable solution.

The chat is still available with a client.
I recently looked at a JAVA version and it is easy to install and set up

Coolsmile, it's available here:

http://source.coolsmile.net/download/install_coolsmile.exe

after installing the server is:
irc.rizon.net
and the channel is:
#RavishU

EDIT: Rizon appears to have fixed the issue and chat is working again
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 06:28:33 PM by zokah »
We are legion
We do not forgive
We do not forget