Author Topic: BOTH chat modules are busted  (Read 3808 times)

Offline RopeFiend

• Dean
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 236
  • only a Dean for tech help
BOTH chat modules are busted
« on: May 11, 2014, 01:07:35 AM »

Until I get a chance to fix 'em, both FlashCHAT (listed as CHAT above) and CHAT2 (Ajax Chat) are down.

The host upgraded our PHP and it buggered the hell out of the chat boxes.  I'm working on it.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 01:16:54 AM by RopeFiend »

Offline Lois

• Dean
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 364
Re: BOTH chat modules are busted
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 10:20:31 AM »
Thank you RF!
So much oppression in our culture is based on shame about sex: the oppression of women, of cultural minorities, oppression in the name of the (presumably asexual) family, oppression of sexual minorities. We are all oppressed. We have all been taught, one way or another, that our desires, our bodies, our sexualities, are shameful. What better way to defeat oppression than to get together in communities and celebrate the wonders of sex?
The Ethical Slut: A Guide to Infinite Sexual Possibilities

Jed
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 01:43:26 PM »
Yes, thank you RF.

FireViper
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 02:53:09 PM »
Indeed, hope you fix it soon RF. Good luck.

Offline RopeFiend

• Dean
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 236
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 04:21:56 PM »

Update: I probably won't be able to get FlashChat running again.  I downloaded the most recent version (ours was WAY old) and I can't even get the installer to run without fatal errors.  Darren's last update was from 2010, and the world has evolved since then.  His scripts were always a bit flaky, in any event.  I can't get support 'cos his forums are *gone*, and his site has been stagnant since around 2010.

I should be able to trash and reinstall the Ajax Chat applet (the one that was CHAT2).  I know it's not as pretty, but it's more solid AND it's been continuously updated to keep pace with the PHP/MySQL versions.  I did some significant changes to the one we're running, and I'll have to tweak it as I go along over the next couple of weeks to remove the bugs or add some handy features back in.

When I switch Ajax Chat to the newest version, it'll probably blow the forum away for up to a half hour.  If you see error messages, just come back a bit later and I'll have it up once more.

Offline Queenie
  • Freshman
  • Merits 4
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 04:25:25 PM »
good ... good...

(I always liked chat 2 the most, anyway ...    heh... somehow, I have he feeling I am not he friend you would want... you know, me not liking the first chat (the blue one, right ?) ) )
)

FireViper
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 04:45:17 PM »
I actually liked chat 1 better, I think there's something that doesn't make it run right on my computer, but at least it will be a chat.

Thanks again RF :)

Offline Queenie
  • Freshman
  • Merits 4
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 05:55:41 PM »
ok...

wanted to edit, but, apparently, if somebody replys in the meantime, you can not do this anymore...

so : two times, "he" should have been "the" ...

and

and

and I liked chat 2 more than the blue one ...

there...

Offline Plaything
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 776
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 07:32:05 PM »
If you get a chance maybe you could check out BlaB . . .they have nice chatrooms and are free . . . http://hot-things.net/

Jed
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 08:05:43 PM »
I wonder if we could lift the 6PM/hr limit temporarily until a chat is functional.....just a thought.

Offline Queenie
  • Freshman
  • Merits 4
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 08:15:17 PM »
I wonder if we could lift the 6PM/hr limit temporarily until a chat is functional.....just a thought.

sorry, made me laugh...  hope you do understand, not mocking you

but somehow, I just cant picturre the mess you are in, no chat, and that darned chat limit...

Jed
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2014, 09:06:25 PM »

sorry, made me laugh...  hope you do understand, not mocking you

but somehow, I just cant picturre the mess you are in, no chat, and that darned chat limit...

Since I'm chatting with my Plaything elsewhere right now, I'm good.

Offline Plaything
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 776
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2014, 09:11:59 PM »
Of course we found another option . . .gotta have my chat time!

Offline RopeFiend

• Dean
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 236
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2014, 09:13:55 PM »
It's not a 'limit' causing the issue, the CHATs both took the forum down once they upgraded the server here.  The fancier blue FlashChat was the worst offender... the code was so poorly written that there's little or no way that I can 'patch' it to work.  We're just purely lucky that it's worked this long.  I don't have any control when the host upgrades the server, and that ancient code just won't work in PHP5.4.

I'm working on getting the CHAT2 back online, but it's gonna be a few days 'cos I need to work out the worst of the bugs.

Offline RopeFiend

• Dean
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 236
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 02:09:31 AM »
I have something kinda-sorta working, but it needs a bit of work.  Probably the most obnoxious bug is that it's not showing WHO'S IN CHAT at the bottom of the forum.  Additionally, I couldn't get it to run in an IFRAME like before... it fell over and died.  It's running in it's own tab.

Here's the other problems I've identified so far:
There's only one channel (The_Lounge) but you can create your own private channels
Chrome is buggered - no sound
IMG tag is case-sensitive (only works if it's all in lower-case)
Smilies need a space inserted before them
Launching CHAT is spawning a new tab, but not closing it

I'll undoubtedly be finding other bugs.  It's been a LOOONNNGG time since I tweaked the code for the old version of Ajax Chat.