Author Topic: Internet Explorer problems.... of course!  (Read 1219 times)

Offline pinkwarkitten14

• Junior
  • Merits 22
Internet Explorer problems.... of course!
« on: February 24, 2014, 10:58:17 PM »
Okay so here's the situation. I was trying to uninstall Internet Explorer. Simply because I don't use it and it was taking up space. Something went wrong in the uninstalling process and it did something funky. Now ordinarily I would just leave it. But I want to tutor online for some extra cash and the site I'm trying to go through says their interface doesn't work with ANYTHING but Internet Explorer.... that using Chrome or Firefox will result in limited abilities with their systems, and improper loading, if you get anything at all. So, I tried to reinstall IE.... but it said that I already had a newer version installed on my computer. I tried re-uninstalling it, but it didn't work, said it was gone, but nope! Just kidding! it wasn't, because I got the same error message trying to install. I've got a friend who does computer stuffs and we exhausted every option he could think of. He's trying to get a hold of a friend of his who is a Windows expert but until then I'm screwed. I contacted the help center at the site and they still said that IE was a requirement, and didn't say anything beyond that to help the situation..... Anybody here have any ideas??
~Itteh Bitteh Ebil Kitteh~

Offline PRED8HER

• Undergrad
  • Merits 27
  • A Dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste.
    • Xtreme Theater! A great place to buy Rape movies!
Re: Internet Explorer problems.... of course!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 11:42:27 PM »
I'm no expert on this stuff, so hopefully someone else will have better ideas. I would try using an uninstalling program that may get rid of any remnants that the regular windows uninstall feature didn't. I've used Iobit uninstaller (free) successfully to get rid of programs that wouldn't uninstall.. I'm sure there are other ones too. There are also some browsers that are "like" IE, You could do a search for anything that is supposed to be like IE and/or uses the same build, and it might work for the site.
A dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste!

Offline pinkwarkitten14

• Junior
  • Merits 22
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 07:09:54 AM »
I'm running a 64-bit Windows 7 OS, on a Toshiba laptop that's..... a few years old (long story short, this one was bought and not long after, something fell on it and the screen was broken from behind. My half-brother had the same kind and spilled some soda on the keyboard area, frying the hard drive, so I got the screen and the extra battery and power cord) My laptop came with Windows 7 already installed on it so I'm reasonably sure we don't have the discs for it, Which is why y friend wants to see if he can get his hands on a copy of the original discs for me, so I can just reinstall all of Windows, or do like you said in your post and reinstall missing programs. I'm pretty sure I tried a factory restore, as well, but I may have just done a system restore, unless that's the same. I've also tried restoring IE to a previous version as well and that didn't work. When I try installing anything before or beyond IE 9 or something like that, the error window says there's already a newer version on my computer (even when I tried installing IE 11). However, when I try installing IE9, it says it's already installed. But yet, when I go under programs and features, to try and uninstall it, it doesn't appear on the list at all. It doesn't appear to still be on my computer, but yet.... it is. Part of the reason I had initially wanted to uninstall it was because it wasn't functioning properly, for some reason, and I figured I don't use it anyway, so I got the dumb idea that it would be okay to uninstall it, since it was taking up space in my very full hard drive. Hoping maybe this will help you get a better idea...?

Offline pinkwarkitten14

• Junior
  • Merits 22
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 11:17:34 AM »
But can I make the repair disk now, with IE as it is? Will it just use the settings that I have now?? My mom is also running a Windows 7 OS... should I use hers to create the disk?

Offline pinkwarkitten14

• Junior
  • Merits 22
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 11:20:39 AM »
And I tried the SFC and it said I had to be an administrator running a console session in order to use the SFC utility

Offline pinkwarkitten14

• Junior
  • Merits 22
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 11:34:16 AM »
Okay scratch that... Figured out how to run it as an administrator. 

Offline pinkwarkitten14

• Junior
  • Merits 22
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 12:08:22 PM »
Or.... Not. It's fixed. Thank you sooooooo sooo much!! Never thought I would be rejoicing that I had fixed IE and have it back on my computer.... but, I am! Thanks again  *hugs*