ravishu.com

September 25, 2017, 11:51:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Our users have posted a total of 210,495 posts.
This forum contains 15,039 topics.
We have 4,837 registered users.
Please welcome corvaxpoe03, our newest member.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Putting the victim on trial  (Read 1074 times)
Between Angela's Legs
Freshman

Merits 0

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2016, 02:42:19 AM »

To be clear, "victim on trial" doesn't mean pressed to make sure the victim is giving honest testimony.

Putting the victim on trial usually refers to all the things people say to justify the act of rape.  Is she promiscuous enough that a juror won't readily empathize?  Was she wearing something too revealing?  Did she "send the wrong signals"?

I think you are right that that is what is generally meant when people talk about "putting the victim on trial".  However, I think that even if the trial stuck to the facts of the actual assault--not her prior history--that the victim would still feel like she was being put on trial.
WngdBeast
Junior

Merits 11

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2016, 02:48:48 PM »

To be clear, "victim on trial" doesn't mean pressed to make sure the victim is giving honest testimony.

Putting the victim on trial usually refers to all the things people say to justify the act of rape.  Is she promiscuous enough that a juror won't readily empathize?  Was she wearing something too revealing?  Did she "send the wrong signals"?

I think you are right that that is what is generally meant when people talk about "putting the victim on trial".  However, I think that even if the trial stuck to the facts of the actual assault--not her prior history--that the victim would still feel like she was being put on trial.

Potentially, some would.  Probably a smaller portion than the many who are, effectively, put in position to defend their sexual purity in order to have the person who violated them be punished for the crime.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: