Author Topic: Tech Support  (Read 1345 times)

Offline DirtyDoc

• Senior
  • Merits 2
  • Ms. Right
Tech Support
« on: February 17, 2013, 06:30:59 AM »
I'm posting this here because, honestly, I have no idea where else to post it.  (If this is in the wrong section, please feel free to move it, oh great and all-powerful admins!  :D)  Basic question... is anyone else having problems with connectivity to the site?  I'm asking because, for the past week, I've been having minor "annoyance" problems.  Two examples are thread posting and the chat channel. 

With threads, I have to "wait" a bit of time before actually posting a new comment to a thread.  (I noticed this in one of the games where everyone posts a single word reply.)  What ends up happening is that I have to wait approximately one minute between the time I stop typing and before I hit the Post button.  If I wait that period of time, everything's fine - but if I press the button too early, the site thinks for a few dozen seconds and then gives me a 500 INTERNAL ERROR message screen.  I then have to back up to the post and reset the clock before I can try to post my comment again.

Also, I keep getting 500 CONNECTION ERROR messages in chat.  Normally it's no big deal, but last night I got approximately five of them.  I then have to close out the site, reopen it, and reenter chat (hopefully remembering who was doing what to which particular oriface at the time of the problem! ;D).

Like I said, not critical problems, but just a bit annoying.  Anyone have any idea what's going on?
"Sex is a contact sport.  If you don't need an ice pack and a physical therapist afterwards, you aren't doing it right."  DirtyDoc, 2011

Jed
Re: Tech Support
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 07:40:40 AM »
There is a "Computer issues" section under "Extracur Studies"
But, I'm certainly not the one to say this belongs there.

About a week after joining, for about 2-3 days I got a forbidden error message and couldn't get on the site at all.  I actually thought I got banned and wondered why.

Offline The Rt Hon. The Lord Ox

• Undergrad
  • Merits 144
  • Go ahead and struggle, it only makes me harder.
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 07:43:05 AM »
Yes, on occasion. Moreso than other sites. And not just the one recent time where it was announced that we were proactively closed for no good reason, this had been a chronic nuisance.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 10:37:51 AM by BrooklynOx »
Go ahead and struggle, it only makes me harder.

Jed
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 07:46:25 AM »
Yes, on occasion. Moreso than other sites. And not just the one recent time where it was announced that we were proactively closed fir no good reason, this had been a chronic nuisance.

Sorry BrooklynOx, I'm not sure what you are responding to?

Offline DirtyDoc

• Senior
  • Merits 2
  • Ms. Right
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 07:51:38 AM »
Ah, good to know it wasn't just me!  Okay, that's one paranoid aspect of my diseased brain I can safely put down like Old Yeller...
"Sex is a contact sport.  If you don't need an ice pack and a physical therapist afterwards, you aren't doing it right."  DirtyDoc, 2011

Offline loverquest

• Masters Degree
  • Merits 80
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 08:14:43 AM »
my experience with the 500 connection errors... for some reason it happens every so often, but if you go in and change your browser "advanced" settings... and running a cookie deletion helps.
http://ravishu.com/forums/index.php?topic=21872.0  a link to my thread- Please leave some of your thoughts, comments, questions, and/or suggestions.
i am ".....a little kink, that's willing to learn."

Concubine of The Howling Wolves

Offline The Rt Hon. The Lord Ox

• Undergrad
  • Merits 144
  • Go ahead and struggle, it only makes me harder.
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 10:40:43 AM »
@Jed

Recently, our service provider shut us down for about, oh, maybe 12 hours, on the presumption we were under attack, because they perceived a spike in traffic. Turns out there was no evidence of attack.

I am saying that, even if you exclude that incident as an outlier, I've still had some minor chronic connection issues, agreeing with Doc.
Go ahead and struggle, it only makes me harder.

Jed
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 11:19:10 AM »
@Jed

Recently, our service provider shut us down for about, oh, maybe 12 hours, on the presumption we were under attack, because they perceived a spike in traffic. Turns out there was no evidence of attack.

I am saying that, even if you exclude that incident as an outlier, I've still had some minor chronic connection issues, agreeing with Doc.

That's probably what I remember.  It seemed longer.  Not sure what that says about me?  Maybe I was the spike in traffic? :D

Offline RopeFiend

• Dean
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 236
  • only a Dean for tech help
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 04:21:58 AM »
Today's crash was due to the server going bonkers.  I think I recovered everything.  If you notice any weirdness, send me a PM.  The server was toast from 3am to 4am CDT, 10 July 2013.  Looks like it's up again.

Offline Lois

• Dean
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 364
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 09:44:29 AM »
I just woke up.  So far everything seems to be working well.
So much oppression in our culture is based on shame about sex: the oppression of women, of cultural minorities, oppression in the name of the (presumably asexual) family, oppression of sexual minorities. We are all oppressed. We have all been taught, one way or another, that our desires, our bodies, our sexualities, are shameful. What better way to defeat oppression than to get together in communities and celebrate the wonders of sex?
The Ethical Slut: A Guide to Infinite Sexual Possibilities