Author Topic: The Writing Questions Thread!  (Read 5703 times)

Offline somedude

• Undergrad
  • Merits 2
The Writing Questions Thread!
« on: September 29, 2006, 02:13:44 PM »
    This is a thread I'd thought I'd start for anyone who has a question about writing erotica!  Ask away aspiring writers!!!  ::):
UUUUUGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!

wolverinefan
Re: The Writing Questions Thread!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 09:43:42 AM »
 How does someone still fairly new at writing stories continue to improve. I really feel a little more than inadequate when I see all of the great writers on these sites..Present company included. You guys totally blow me away. I know practice would be a given. Any other advice that could be helpful to my stories or writing styles?? Would certainly be appreciated sd...Thanks!

Offline somedude

• Undergrad
  • Merits 2
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 10:04:32 PM »
Well it may sound cliche wolv, but just keep writing!  Also look over your work critically, try to correct any errors you see and try not to make them the next time.  Watch your punctuation, tense and point of view.  Try to write better each time you write and don't be afraid to rewrite something till you get it right.  Hope that helps!:)
UUUUUGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!

wolverinefan
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 06:32:35 PM »
Well it may sound cliche wolv, but just keep writing!  Also look over your work critically, try to correct any errors you see and try not to make them the next time.  Watch your punctuation, tense and point of view.  Try to write better each time you write and don't be afraid to rewrite something till you get it right.  Hope that helps!:)
Can always count on you for some advice sd..You are 'da MAN

Offline somedude

• Undergrad
  • Merits 2
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 11:22:57 AM »
You're welcome wolv!  And thanks for asking the first writing question.  Any other questions folks?
UUUUUGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!

Offline prey4me

• Junior
  • Merits 7
  • Real Male, Alpha Class
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2006, 09:34:45 PM »
I've seen your posts, wolverinefan, various places.  You have a fine, lecherous imagination.  The thing is to take what you fantasize and try to describe it others.  Unless you're big into setting up the victim/characters/situation, don't take too much time/words with lead-in.  Let's get to the action!

If you start with WORD or something, you can sit on the file for a while, and come back to it and see where you've got too much here, too little there, whatever.  
Then run spellcheck, read it over for grammar and continuity* errors, and post it.

And you've got a story posted, you filrthy sonofabitch!

*That means giving her 34C tits in the beginning of the story, but then describing her 36DD tits in the middle of it.

Offline somedude

• Undergrad
  • Merits 2
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 01:22:52 AM »
Is anyone ever going to ask anothe writing question?
UUUUUGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!

Offline NathanL
  • Undergrad
  • Merits 28
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 12:28:59 PM »
Is there a good way to flesh out a character without writing twelve pages about them? I get turned on by thinking about who two people are to each other, but I find that when I try to describe it, it's tl;dr ("too long, didn't read", in netspeak) -meaning it seems like it's over long; or at least longer than what I intend.
Don't give up
--
Never take no for an answer
--
A faint heart never won a fair lady
--
To the victor goes the spoils

Offline somedude

• Undergrad
  • Merits 2
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 01:19:42 PM »
Tell the reader only what they need to know about the character as it pertains to the story and do it in as few words as possible.  In short stories especially you want to be brief and concise!
UUUUUGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!

Offline Louise

• Junior
  • Merits 3
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2007, 01:33:19 PM »
I tend to write in quite a strange way...with lots of...instead of using correct puncutation...is that a problem?

They tend to represent pauses or gaps that would otherwise require more wordage that I think make the story/post/whatever harder to absorb, especially in a fast paced scene. Also, has anyone else been told that anything in brackets (parenthesis - such as this) are secondary to the sentence and therefore should either be dumped entirely or added to the sentence in a normal manner? My english teachers used to go gaga if anyone used them!
Pleasure and pain, so close together it hurts...

Offline somedude

• Undergrad
  • Merits 2
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2007, 01:41:16 PM »
Good questions! A lot of creative writing comes down to personal style!  Using elipses...isn't a problem when you're using them to add flare and drama to a piece.  I'm not a big fan of brackets in fiction myself, though they're very good in technical and other non fiction to add information and such to the work.  So my opinion for fiction is that...is fine but (bracketed information and such) distracts from the flow of the story.
UUUUUGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!

Offline Louise

• Junior
  • Merits 3
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2007, 01:43:34 PM »
:D Thank you Sir.
Pleasure and pain, so close together it hurts...

Offline somedude

• Undergrad
  • Merits 2
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2007, 01:48:55 PM »
You're welcome Miss Louise! ;D Please ask more questions when they occur to you!
UUUUUGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!

hellcat
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2007, 05:51:41 AM »
Ok... right now i am caught in the midst of writers block... its regarding that epic that im trying to pen, i know where i want to be as regards the conclusion of the first chapter...but every time i set out to get to that point im just writing dross that i delete... its like my mind knows where i am and where i want to be but im having trouble getting to that stage... i know that many times it is a personal thing but i was just wondering aloud as to ways that could help clear my mind and get me back on track..

Hope this kind of question is in the right place

tom8517
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2007, 12:50:10 PM »
good question HC, I'm in the same boat, asking for the same advice