Author Topic: Way to waste police officers' time,and taxpayer money  (Read 3017 times)

Offline TakeMeGrl

• Puritanical Editor
  • Undergrad
  • Merits 3
    • Take Me
Re: Way to waste police officers' time,and taxpayer money
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2007, 09:37:51 PM »

No, no, not an entire gender. An entire subset within that gender. 
Hating all false accusers is not the same as hating all women.
Not any more than hating all rapists is the same as hating all men.

Would it be wrong for a woman who has been raped to hate all rapists?
Is she only allowed to hate the particular rapist who raped her?

In this case, a false accuser is worse than a rapist. 
A rapist has no natural ally.  He helps no one but himself.
But a false accuser benifits ALL rapists, making them harder to punish.

-Ray

See, I have a hard time with the whole "a false accuser is worse than a rapist" assertion.  I can definitely see your points, here, especially in cases where an actual "perpetrator" has been named.  But some of these false accusations are vague claims that don't name anyone.  No one's in danger of being prosecuted unfairly.  I feel like there are different levels (not that any of them are *good*, by any means), whereas all rapists, imo, are committing the same crime, just with varying degrees of violence.

But back to the first issue...I guess I was under the impression that you *are* blaming an entire gender (us women).  The reason I thought that was because of your post a few days ago where you wished (as a result of yet another false rape accusation story) that you would someday get on the jury in a rape case, so you could help get the perp off.  I believe you even wished that the victim was a sweet, innocent virgin who'd never done any harm to anyone. 

So...since that is clearly not justice for that innocent, blameless woman...am I not correct in my grasp of your view?
Scientia est potentia - Knowledge is power

Offline ynyn

• "The Joker"
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 14
  • Inside Every Silver Lining There Is A Dark Cloud
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2007, 09:54:45 PM »

It's just that I'm not seeing any stories about women having been raped, and the poster being outraged on her behalf.  What I *am* seeing is a new false rape accusation story practically daily.

I went back and counted 3 stories (at least on first page,I don't think I did any more) about false accusers. I also posted several stories of actual rapes. I just look and if I see a story that seems like it would spur some debate,I post it.

I guess I AM posting too much,that will cease. :emot_banghead.gif: :emot_banghead.gif: :emot_banghead.gif: :emot_banghead.gif:

:emot_banghead.gif: :emot_banghead.gif: :emot_banghead.gif: :emot_banghead.gif:
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 09:58:15 PM by ynyn »
It's the happy,horny panda!

Offline TakeMeGrl

• Puritanical Editor
  • Undergrad
  • Merits 3
    • Take Me
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2007, 10:01:25 PM »

No, that was not my thought at all.  And perhaps I'm bringing some of my *own* bias to it, siding as I frequently do with the victim.

But just as a for example...there's the "Sad Case" thread, which contains a link to the story and a few members' comments about how it sucks, etc.

But these false rape accusation threads seem to spawn pages of rants about how evil the accusors are.

Meh.  Maybe I'm the one who needs to cease.  All I seem to be doing is pissing people off, anymore.  I apologize.
Scientia est potentia - Knowledge is power

Offline Raymond Pist
  • Troll
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits -10
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2007, 10:05:47 PM »
TMG writes:

See, I have a hard time with the whole "a false accuser is worse than a rapist" assertion.  I can definitely see your points, here, especially in cases where an actual "perpetrator" has been named.  But some of these false accusations are vague claims that don't name anyone.  No one's in danger of being prosecuted unfairly.

That's not true. There several of these cases where a "victim" of a made-up rape give a good enough description of her imaginary rapist that cops feel compelled to take someone resembling that description into custody.  By then, the accuser is locked into that story, and the stunned, innocent man is well on his way to a wrongful conviction.

I feel like there are different levels (not that any of them are *good*, by any means), whereas all rapists, imo, are committing the same crime, just with varying degrees of violence.

There are different levels there, too.  Date rape, spousal rape. Rapes with and without excessive violence. Rapes with and without a weapon. Rapes with and without threats to the women's children or other family members.    But yet the minimum punishment for the mildest of rapes rarely is less severe than the maximum punishment of the worst false accusation.  A little equality would be nice, is all.

But back to the first issue...I guess I was under the impression that you *are* blaming an entire gender (us women).  The reason I thought that was because of your post a few days ago where you wished (as a result of yet another false rape accusation story) that you would someday get on the jury in a rape case, so you could help get the perp off.  I believe you even wished that the victim was a sweet, innocent virgin who'd never done any harm to anyone. 

So...since that is clearly not justice for that innocent, blameless woman...am I not correct in my grasp of your view?

A little off.  It was just taking my "what's good for the goose, is good for the gander" arguement to it's fullest extreme.  My implication was that everyone who thought that False Accusations didn't warrent punishment, was an accomplice to the rape and injustice to the hypothetical innocent victim.  And of course, I would be sad if such an individual were raped, even moreso if it were someone I was already fond of.  But Injustice makes me even more sad.  And the injustice of allowing FRA's to flourish will be what leads to more rapes taking place, and more rapists going unpunished.  

--Ray

A good library contains something to offend everyone. But the only thing that should be universally offensive to all people are threats of censorship. Silencing those with whom you disagree is not an argument; it's a sign that you have lost the argument, and cannot compete in the marketplace of ideas. There is no greater admission of weakness.

Offline Raymond Pist
  • Troll
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits -10
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2007, 10:07:15 PM »

I guess I AM posting too much,that will cease.

There is no such thing as "posting too much".

-Ray
A good library contains something to offend everyone. But the only thing that should be universally offensive to all people are threats of censorship. Silencing those with whom you disagree is not an argument; it's a sign that you have lost the argument, and cannot compete in the marketplace of ideas. There is no greater admission of weakness.

Offline AAAMelbGuy

• Jack of all trades - Professor of none! :)
  • Senior
  • Merits 0
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2007, 11:31:11 PM »
*HEADDESK*

Offline ynyn

• "The Joker"
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 14
  • Inside Every Silver Lining There Is A Dark Cloud
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2007, 11:55:31 PM »
It's the happy,horny panda!

wolverinefan
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2007, 01:56:17 AM »
*HEADDESK*
LOL..I've done that a few times myself..