Author Topic: Uproar over op-ed piece about rape in CT  (Read 2187 times)

Offline ynyn

• "The Joker"
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 14
  • Inside Every Silver Lining There Is A Dark Cloud
It's the happy,horny panda!

Offline Raymond Pist
  • Troll
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits -10
Re: Uproar over op-ed piece about rape in CT
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 08:28:44 PM »
I LOVE it.
Sounds exactly like something I could have written myself.
In fact, if I lived in CT, I'd just up and take full credit for it, and I doubt that anyone here would doubt me.

"WHY, YOU CAN'T MAKE FUN OF RAPE!" Huff the huffy type people.

Why not?
We make fun of EVERYTHING!
Dead and dying. Elderly. Ugly. Fat. Bald. Crippled. Retarded. Disaster victims.
Who says Rape is off limits? 
Those people go on notice:  It's especially fun to make fun of people who say you can't make fun of their pet sacred cow.
--Ray
A good library contains something to offend everyone. But the only thing that should be universally offensive to all people are threats of censorship. Silencing those with whom you disagree is not an argument; it's a sign that you have lost the argument, and cannot compete in the marketplace of ideas. There is no greater admission of weakness.

wolverinefan
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 09:23:12 PM »
This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen..Real rape isn't fun, or exciting..It's a horrid crime of which sex is the secondary issue. It's a man forcifully taking control over another person's body..It's all about power and humiliation..People that commit this act should be punished to the full extent of the law..I for one will keep my rape's fantasies..

Offline TakeMeGrl

• Puritanical Editor
  • Undergrad
  • Merits 3
    • Take Me
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 12:02:42 AM »
I feel certain, Ray, that if the article had claimed that murder is a benefit to stupid people, or something, people would have reacted the same way.  They're not just doing it because "OMG it's rape and totally off limits!!"

Recall the reaction to Jonathan Swift's "A Modest Proposal". This is often how satire is received.

As to whether or not this person's article can actually be classified as satire, I have my doubts.  I think in this particular case the guy was just being a stupid fuckwit.
Scientia est potentia - Knowledge is power

Offline ynyn

• "The Joker"
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 14
FOLLOW UP TO Uproar over op-ed piece about rape in CT
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 07:13:28 PM »
The follow up to that oped piece.....

http://www.nbc30.com/news/10992118/detail.html
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 07:43:59 PM by ynyn »

Offline KissyFace

• Masters Degree
  • Merits 204
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 07:44:44 PM »
As to whether or not this person's article can actually be classified as satire, I have my doubts.  I think in this particular case the guy was just being a stupid fuckwit.
 Posted by: TakeMeGrl

I agree!!   

Offline Lois

• Dean
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 364
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 02:11:27 AM »
Sounds like it is causing debate and raising awareness about rape though, a good thing!
So much oppression in our culture is based on shame about sex: the oppression of women, of cultural minorities, oppression in the name of the (presumably asexual) family, oppression of sexual minorities. We are all oppressed. We have all been taught, one way or another, that our desires, our bodies, our sexualities, are shameful. What better way to defeat oppression than to get together in communities and celebrate the wonders of sex?
The Ethical Slut: A Guide to Infinite Sexual Possibilities

Offline Raymond Pist
  • Troll
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits -10
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 06:25:21 PM »
I feel certain, Ray, that if the article had claimed that murder is a benefit to stupid people, or something, people would have reacted the same way.  They're not just doing it because "OMG it's rape and totally off limits!!"

Recall the reaction to Jonathan Swift's "A Modest Proposal". This is often how satire is received.

Oh, I'm not saying it's GOOD satire. In fact, in my opinion, satire is at it's best when it isn't completely clear that it's satire.  In this case, it's pretty clear.
And if I'm not mistaken, the lesson of Swift's "Modest Proposal" was this:  people who lack a sense of humor are easy (and fun) to offend.
--Ray
A good library contains something to offend everyone. But the only thing that should be universally offensive to all people are threats of censorship. Silencing those with whom you disagree is not an argument; it's a sign that you have lost the argument, and cannot compete in the marketplace of ideas. There is no greater admission of weakness.

Offline Raymond Pist
  • Troll
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits -10
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 03:48:46 AM »
"American Airlines---their slogan should be 'First through the towers!'
<pause for laugher---ashamed laughter. And continuous snickering thoughout>
"Obviously, I'm not trying to belittle the events of 9-11.  They were devastating. Beyond devastating.
And I don't want to say 'especially for these people.' or 'especially for those people.'
BUT, Especially for ME. Um, because it happened to be the same exact day that I found out
that the soy chi latte was like 900 calories.  And I'd been drinking them every day.
You hear 'soy' and you think 'heathy'...but it's a lie.
But it's also the day we were attacked.
Remember the rage? where do you put it?
I'll tell you what I did.
 Domain names.
'OsamaBinLadin.com---OsamaBinLadin.org---OsamaBinLadin.net'
...and then who's he gotta come to?  And guess what IT'S NOT FOR SALE.
Looks like you're gonna have to be OsamaONE.
And then who's laughing last.
America."
---Sarah Silverman

Now. Tell me again it's not OK to joke about rape.
--Ray

Offline Lois

• Dean
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 364
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 07:31:00 PM »
I was looking for the actual text of this op-ed/satire and found this on a bulletin board discussing the topic:

Question:

Since we're all supposed to be super-sensitive to the suffering of others, it's hard to understand why satire of this kind evokes apoplexy among us while jokes about castration in mainstream commercials and movies (not to mention men getting raped in prison) are considered perfectly fine and we'll tell men not to get all worked-up over what is "just a joke"?

I really need someone to explain this to me: Why, exactly, are the latter forms of sexual victimization considered okay but the former is not considered okay? Do we think that men "deserve" it? Is this a moral stance for us to take? Are women more precious and delicate?

So, what do y'all think?
So much oppression in our culture is based on shame about sex: the oppression of women, of cultural minorities, oppression in the name of the (presumably asexual) family, oppression of sexual minorities. We are all oppressed. We have all been taught, one way or another, that our desires, our bodies, our sexualities, are shameful. What better way to defeat oppression than to get together in communities and celebrate the wonders of sex?

Offline Raymond Pist
  • Troll
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits -10
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 07:55:53 PM »
I was looking for the actual text of this op-ed/satire and found this on a bulletin board discussing the topic:

Question:

Since we're all supposed to be super-sensitive to the suffering of others, it's hard to understand why satire of this kind evokes apoplexy among us while jokes about castration in mainstream commercials and movies (not to mention men getting raped in prison) are considered perfectly fine and we'll tell men not to get all worked-up over what is "just a joke"?

I really need someone to explain this to me: Why, exactly, are the latter forms of sexual victimization considered okay but the former is not considered okay? Do we think that men "deserve" it? Is this a moral stance for us to take? Are women more precious and delicate?

So, what do y'all think?

Well, here's what ole Ray thinks:
I think this brings us right back to my....

MEN'S BILL OF RIGHTS

HEALTH AND AGING.
1. Ensure that health insurance charges for men are proportional to the health benefits received by men (who now pay most of medical costs but who now receive only about 25% of medical treatment.)
2. Lower men's currently disproportional share of Social Security taxes to be proportional with the expected benefits that men receive. Men now pay 80% of social security taxes and receive 20% of benefits.
3. Recognize that The current imbalance in life expectancy of men is a direct reflection of the sum of all the ways that the culture discriminates against men

WORKPLACE
1. Repeal so-called "affirmative action" laws. (This will have the added benefit of ending anti-white discrimination, as well as anti-male.)
2. End the hostile work environments for men created by so-called "sexual harassment" laws. Anyone who feels they are being harassed in any way has always had the right to quit, and find a different job. Women don't deserve extra protection because they are "sensitive".
3. End "equal pay for equal work" initiatives, in recognition that women have NOT lived up to the "equal work" part of the bargain. Men do dirtier jobs, harder jobs, and more hazardous jobs. Indeed, men account for over 90% of all work-related deaths.

SOCIAL SITUATIONS
1. End sexist law that currently prohibits men-only gyms, stores, clubs, etc., but permits women-only places of those kinds.
2. End unequal laws, codes and architectural standards requiring more plentiful and better-furnished toilet rooms for women than men in public buildings. Provide public facilities for men equal to those provided for women.

CUSTODIAL ISSUES.
1. Require that anyone delivering a baby has authorization from BOTH PARENTS. No one should be forced to be a parent if they do not wish to. Regrettably, abortion must be a viable option when other methods of birth-control fail or are not used. Women must not be allowed to trap men into financing her maternal urges.
2. Provide DNA testing of every child at birth before a man's name as the father goes onto the certificate of birth. Every man has a right to know for sure that the child he supports is actually his.
3. Eliminate the need for "child support" by granting custody to the parent who is most able to financially support the child.
4. End alimony, AKA "spousal support".

SCHOOLING
1. End current systematic discrimination against boys in public school enrollment, discipline, and advancement.
2. Make schools safe for male children's natural rambunctiousness.
3. Provide class and educational situations that allow movement, exercise, excitement and other natural boyish behavior.
4. End discriminatory punishment of boys in schools for boyish behavior. End all discriminatory corporal punishment of boys.
5. Provide boys with active (not passive, such as TV) games in preschool, in public schools, and after school.
6. End the massive drugging of boys who won't sit still in long boring female-structured classes. End the "Ritalin kid" drugging of normal boys. Being an active boy does not make a child psychotic, disturbed or "hyperactive."
7. Strive to provide an equal number of male teachers in schools for role models and male guidance. Restructure educational recruiting practices and prejudicial accusations of men who teach to encourage more men to be teachers of our children.
8. Repeal Title IX of the Civil Rights Act, and simply admit that boys like sports more than girls do.

THE MILITARY
1. Require equal obligation for military service. Women must be equally subject to the draft and military service"€Including combat

CRIME AND PUNISHMENT: Restoring equal justice.
1. Equally prosecute and sentence both women AND men where a woman and man perpetrated the crime as partners. End systematic plea bargaining and witness exclusion now used to exempt women who are partners in crime.
2. End so called "rape shield" laws that take away the fundamental and constitutional right of American citizens to confront and question witnesses against them in a court of law.
3. End current oppression of men by taking away a man's rights as a citizen when a woman maliciously accuses him of domestic violence, child abuse or for other sham charges.
4. Recognize that falsely accusing a man of crime is as much of an offense as the crime for which the man is falsely accused. Sentence anyone making a false accusation
5. End the long-standing police practice of letting women go with a warning or ignoring their violations or crimes entirely while arresting or citing men for the same violations. Driving, walking, or living while male is not a crime.
6. End all police and court procedures that automatically assume that the male is responsible in cases of domestic violence.

ENTERTAINMENT
1. Balance women and men as murder victims, body count, and villains in movies and TV, and video games. Current badly disproportional display of men in negative media roles teaches prejudice against men.
2. Officially recognize our right to the remote control. We invented it. In fact, let's face it, we invented EVERYTHING. Be glad that we let you use our other inventions, but leave the remote control to us.

Offline Lois

• Dean
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 364
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2007, 05:10:31 AM »
 ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Offline ynyn

• "The Joker"
  • Masters Degree
  • Merits 14
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2007, 02:07:28 PM »
Ray,if I agree with your Male Bill Of Rights as much as I would like,we may anger our female members...

...quietly....(I liked it,though!).....

Offline TakeMeGrl

• Puritanical Editor
  • Undergrad
  • Merits 3
    • Take Me
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2007, 02:12:47 AM »
::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

I second each of those eye-roll guys.

And...

Question:

So, what do y'all think?

Well, in the wake of yet more "Poor, poor men...they rock and women suck" sentiment from Ray, I'm tempted to say that yes, I think men deserve it.  It's a fact that for thousands and thousands of years women have suffered FAR WORSE than the men of the past what...hundred years or so?  And now they're going to get all sullen and pissy about the loss of their supreme rights to be masters of the universe?  Fuck 'em.  Half of the things on that "Bill of Rights" are a result of us attempting to reach equality.  It doesn't just happen overnight. 

*sigh*   But if I put aside my reactionary annoyance, no, I don't think it's any funnier when men are the victims.  If anything, I've been known to view rape as an all-encompassing evil, and will frequently turn the tables on guys I'm arguing with about the subject, asking how *they* would feel if *they* were the victim, and that often seems to get them to see it from my perspective.  Both genders can be raped, it's just that it happens much less to men (outside of prison, I guess). 

I don't think that these forms of victimization are considered "okay"...I think that it's just a combination of factors including (but not limited to)

* a sense of retribution (people feel that prisoners are there because they're evil and deserve whatever they get),

* a sense of irony (so much of men and their outlooks seem to be wrapped up in their dicks / balls)

and most importantly,

* peoples' inability to feel empathy.   I saw a commercial six months or so ago, advertising one of those "Most Dangerous Jobs" shows, or something.  The job in question was one of those Alaskan fishing boats.  The conditions are really extreme, people die doing it, etc, etc.  But in the commercial, one of the guys grabbed one of the fish that had just been hauled up in the nets, reached down its gullet and ripped out its still beating heart, which he then downed like a shot of tequila.  I was absolutely appalled.  Not only by his behavior, but by the fact that they'd show such torture in a commercial.   I just feel like there are so many people who really just do not give a shit about anything or anyone other than themselves, so that sort of cruelty really isn't even though about, much less stopped.  It's easy to make fun of rape in prison because it's not them in that position.

People just suck, in general, imo.

Scientia est potentia - Knowledge is power