Famous serial rapists

(1/8) > >>

Lois:
Someone asked me how many famous serial rapists I knew of, and I could only remember Richard Ramirez "the night stalker".  But I'm not sure he was a true serial rapist, because he killed.

Perhaps the members here remember some famous serial rapists? 

MrPessimist:
Albert DeSalvo.

He would be remembered as the man who confessed to being the Boston Strangler, a serial killer who between 1962 and 1964 killed 13 women between the ages of 19 and 85 by strangulation with a silk scarf. However the confession is highly doubted today as forensics can prove he had nothing to do with the last killing, casts "reasonable doubt" that he had anything to do with at least half, and overall makes it seem unlikely he committed any of the Boston Strangler murders at all. However it can be proven that DeSalvo was "The Green Man", and it was as "The Green Man" that DeSalvo eventually went to prison for.

"The Green Man" got his name for his usual tactic for gaining entry to a victim's home, as he usually wore green overalls and posed as a handyman. Once alone with a victim, usually a young woman between the ages of 19 and 25, he would initiate conversation until he had a rough idea of how long he could have the victim undisturbed, then tie his victim down and use her until he was completely satisfied- sometimes apologizing afterwords and often pointing out how few marks he left behind. Active from 1961 to 1964 it's difficult to pin down exactly how many victims he had thanks to the sexual attitudes of both the police and the victims during the early 60's. Before he died DeSalvo claimed he had raped over 2,000 women as "The Green Man" but he was known for exaggeration and this figure pushes the boundry of human capability, let alone plausibility. Today's estimates START at 300- a figure not to be laughed at by any means.

Lois:
Is seems these guys are only famous because they also killed.  Are there any famous ones that raped only?

bob53121:
Didn't the Green River Killer in Northwest US rape his victims (I believe they were all prostitutes) prior to murdering them?

EevilJ:
Quote from: Emily on August 03, 2008, 12:47:36 PM

Is seems these guys are only famous because they also killed.  Are there any famous ones that raped only?

I did some searching on this one. I can't find any. When they do case studies of serial rapists (not murderers)they don't ever seem to include the guy's full name. I think it's because they want to spare the victims, all of which are still alive, from reliving the experience. It could also be that no one wants to make a serial rapist famous for fear that they will feed on the notoriety or create copycats. Serial rapists definitely are more prevalent than serial murderers though. They also seem more methodical by the stuff I was reading. They are, in short, more careful. It must be the "control" thing. Makes you wonder how many operate for years without getting caught.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page