Author Topic: Cover to Cover  (Read 4060 times)

Offline vile8r

• Masters Degree
  • Merits 1103
Re: Cover to Cover
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2021, 12:44:52 AM »
Yes Meatloaf's version is far better, I believe. Although I AM rather biased against Celine Dion, never been a fan.
I could rape your pussy, but I'd be in and out in a few minutes. So I choose to rape your mind, and I'll be inside you forever!

Offline vile8r

• Masters Degree
  • Merits 1103
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2021, 12:56:17 AM »

Here we have some classic Aerosmith. "Walkin' the Dog" from their 1973 debut album.  Then a cover done by L.A. metal band Ratt in 1983. These guys were considered as sort of an Aerosmith knock-off and lead singer Stephen Pearcy even went so far as to have the scarves hanging off his mike stand, a la Steven Tyler. So decide for yourself, who do you think does the better job?

I could rape your pussy, but I'd be in and out in a few minutes. So I choose to rape your mind, and I'll be inside you forever!

carhamgrater
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2021, 11:04:04 AM »
Ratt's version had more energy than Aerosmith did!

So it was a "Tragedy" that Another Group decided they could sing this better than The Bee Gees

Steps version

carhamgrater
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2021, 11:53:15 AM »
Nothing like when a song traverses the musical generations

the Sixities

The Eighties

The 2000's

Offline Grumpy

• Undergrad
  • Merits 80
  • Enslavement of beauty is nature in action
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2021, 11:45:47 AM »
How 'bout some ABBA?

Lay All Your Love On Me

Rock/Metal by Avantasia:

A much darker version by Cody Frost:

------

Gimme Gimme Gimme (A man after midnight)

Gothic version by Beseech:

carhamgrater
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2021, 06:43:46 PM »
Usually not one for heavy metal versions but I have to admit they the cover versions were just as good if not better than the originals

So shall we turn our ears to that some call the ultimate rock song- "Stairway To Heaven"

First To Eleven

And so you know this was chosen by me

Offline Grumpy

• Undergrad
  • Merits 80
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2021, 12:46:36 PM »
Heart played that song to the Zeppelin guys a decade ago or so, and it's great:

carhamgrater
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2021, 04:51:01 PM »
From The Kennedy Center Salute to Led Zeppelin. one hell of a tribute to play live in front of the men who immortalized the song!

I love when I can find versions you would never think of like a reggae version of the song

carhamgrater
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2021, 06:51:58 PM »

Offline vile8r

• Masters Degree
  • Merits 1103
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2021, 04:14:58 PM »
Covers like that never quite work. I don't think so anyways. The lyrics are written from a male perspective in the original, and for a male they're believable. With lines like "Well I'm a guy who never learned to dance, never even got one second glance,"  you can identify with that, some goombah in a bar catching the attention of a hot girl. It's we all dream about. Then some hot chick like Paiulini sings it from a female perspective, and I'm thinking, "Yeah, right! I'm sure you've went through that!"  I don't feel it like I do with Jeff Healey singing it. Not saying she doesn't do a good job of singing it, she has a beautiful voice, but somehow the spirit of the lyrics gets lost from a girl singing that song. Plus a guy having "angel eyes"? Somehow seems a little weird.

Offline vile8r

• Masters Degree
  • Merits 1103
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2021, 04:37:08 PM »
Pink doing Led Zeppelin

Zeppelin's original

Pink's version

carhamgrater
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2021, 05:14:55 PM »
There are groups that should never been copied and Zeppelin is one of them. As good as Pink is she's no Robert Plant

Offline vile8r

• Masters Degree
  • Merits 1103
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2021, 09:52:32 PM »
There are groups that should never been copied and Zeppelin is one of them. As good as Pink is she's no Robert Plant

I'll agree with you there. I like Pink and think she's a hell of a singer, but nope, she's no Robert Plant!

carhamgrater
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2021, 12:50:05 PM »
There are times when modern acts should never try to cover an iconic song! For Kim Wilde this is just such a time

The classic

The destruction of a classic

Offline Grumpy

• Undergrad
  • Merits 80
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2021, 04:11:08 PM »
There's a ton of Born to be Wild covers, and I think you picked the worst one of them all, chg :D